Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcharles

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Hmmm, mine is using 46MB or real memory with 4 tabs active. Am I looking at the right thing - the activity monitor?

Originally posted by Keith Purfield
I hope that Safari 1.2 fixes its memory issues. It's currently using 114MB of my RAM, and all I have is this reply window and the Rumors forum open in a tabbed window.

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by El Capitano
Photorun wrote:

a) I don't like the "Ability to 'tab' to form elements (buttons, checkboxes, submit buttons)" and am disappointed this isn't an option;

Of course not. It's in the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane.

mclosers

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
APPLE READ THIS

I hope apple reads this....
anyways how about an option in safari to alway open all links in a new tab rather than having to right click(or control click for you fools without a logitech mx700[best mouse ever made in my opinion]) anyways there should be multiple variations on the same concept like clicking a link opens it in a new window(instead of new tab) and maybe a key to hold down while clicking to open the link in a new tab instead of the same window, thus allowing people with tons of mice buttons(not sure about tense of mouse there) to click one button to open a link in a tab. This is a minor thing but would put safari light years(ok maybe .00001 light years) ahead of the competition and would help out lazy people all over the world

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Originally posted by coolsoldier
Windows 98 users were getting updates to Internet Explorer for quite some time after Windows ME was released. I think it is perfectly reasonable to be able to update the web browser independently of the OS. The web browser is NOT a special feature of the system, it is a program, and if Apple expects users to actually use their browser for anything other than downloading a different one, they need to keep it up to date.

Here here!

travishill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Actually, to quote AppleInsider:

Safari 1.2 amounts to a brief 4MB download, but reportedly requires a machine running Mac OS X 10.3.3.

tiktokfx

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
DC Metropolitan Area
Simple thought:

Apple doesn't want random people sneaking copies of a beta version because it's, SURRISE, a beta version. So the BETA VERSION is limited to work with a BETA VERSION OS upgrade, because they're fairly confident that far fewer people are willing to risk loading a beta version of an OS on their normal machines.

cyberrob

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2004
Germany
Seed 7F24 has been posted with major changes to "networking, printing"

wow... sounds great... maybe i can finally see all neighbours in my network... and MAYBE FINALLY:

Serial Port Profile (short SPP) SUPPORT

PLEASE APPLE!!!

i will use my d-link dbt 120 bluetooth adapter to link to my hp laserjet printer (with usb bluetooth-module for shure!)

thx, thx, thx, bros!!!

/-) cyberrob

travishill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I tend to believe that as Dave Hyatt runs into problems with Safari that are actually issues in the OS or their APIs that he gets them changed/updated/fixed- and of course that would prevent backporting to an OS that does not have those changes.

So it makes sense to me that Safari updates follow with OS updates as has been the pattern thus far.

I'd love to be wrong, but my gut tells me this is the case...

El Capitano

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
tiktokfx wrote:
Apple doesn't want random people sneaking copies of a beta version because it's, SURRISE, a beta version. So the BETA VERSION is limited to work with a BETA VERSION OS upgrade, because they're fairly confident that far fewer people are willing to risk loading a beta version of an OS on their normal machines.
Sure. But 1.1 isn't a beta and that requires 10.3.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
Re: debug menu in safari

Originally posted by mattroberts
pascalpp and others

I may have missed a previous post for this but You don't need to install safari inhancer to get the debug menu

1- gointo terminal
2- TYPE: defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Now, if anyone knows a way to cycle through all my tabs, without the mouse, I'd appreciate that. Kind of an Alt-Tab for just Safari tabs? :)

cheers
m

I'm at work (read: windows) so I'm not certain I have the key combo right. But I think it's <shift>+<apple>+<right arrow>

One cool added feature: left arrow works too. You can just go right down the line in either direction.

One question, though - I'm a relatively recent switcher to full time ibook at home, but I've used macs forever. Heck, my typing class in middle school even had IIc's. But I didn't get the memo about changing the "apple" key to the "command" key.

When did that happen? Is there a specific reason?

I still say "apple" because I like it. Sometimes, I even catch myself saying "open apple." That makes me smile.

todd

ginoledesma

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2002
Philippines
Originally posted by sparkleytone
This isn't true. You can eject any Server just as you would a disk image. When you are going to change networks or just don't want it to be connected anymore, drag the machine name to the trash.

ginoledesma

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2002
Philippines
Originally posted by sparkleytone
This isn't true. You can eject any Server just as you would a disk image. When you are going to change networks or just don't want it to be connected anymore, drag the machine name to the trash.

In Panther, there are two ways to connect/mount an SMB server: using Connect to Server (Command-K) or using the Finder's network browser. In the latter, there is an issue of "connectnig" to a computer but not being able to disconnect from it as opposed to just mounting/unmounting a volume. Computers are considered active/connected when their icons in the network browser list are not grayed out (colored).

Panther has been a bane for SMB networking for a lot of people -- not just a few. Most of the time it doesn't bother regular users, but those who use it extensively feel the "backwardness" Panther seemed to take from Jaguar's improvements.

sickracer2015

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2003
this is a good update.. but dont try to find it and install it.. I wont even install it on my test drive just check out these issues:

- On some machines with BlueTooth support, menu bar items may not appear (e.g. clock, airport status, bluetooth status, etc.) - On some machines with BlueTooth support, peripherals may fail to mount. If this happens, try removing the BlueTooth status icon in the menu bar (hold down Command key, click and drag off menu bar.) - Power Mac G4 500 MHz Dual Processor machines may fail to wake up from sleep - Slower bootup time may occur - Installer read me currently only has placeholder text - Some relocated applications may not get upd- Timezone may be reset to Pacific Time Zone

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by El Capitano
Photorun wrote:

I voted negative because
a) I don't like the "Ability to 'tab' to form elements (buttons, checkboxes, submit buttons)" and am disappointed this isn't an option;
b) this looks like another Safari upgrade that won't be available for Jaguar.

That do you?

Actually thanks El Capitano, I appreciate seeing the negative explained, it sorta makes sense. Don't jump the gun too fast, it may be available for Jaguar as well, we won't know yet. Safari isn't, from my only general understanding, linked to the OS as much as some of the other iLife apps or especially something like FontBook. It's very conceivable in fact it should work with Panther. Maybe find out from someone it was seeded to. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Though I upgrade OS X and the pro apps like Adobe CS and Macromedia MX stuff all the time I do realize this isn't an option for everyone.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Safari

Originally posted by Doozer
2 reasons I'm still hanging on to Explorer and not using Safari:

1. Compatibility with my bank's website (can't access the site using Safari)

90% of the time, a bank's site "not working" in Safari is usually because they either:

A) Went all-out in Internet Explorer customizations and don't work in anything but IE6.0/Win

B) Are using a browser-detect script which doesn't recognize Safari and decides that if it doesn't know your browser it just plain istn' going to talk to you.

Short of licensing IE 6.0/Win and porting it directly to OS X, I don't see how Safari could fix either of these. In other words, Safari ain't broke; your bank is!

2. Mousing-over links in Safari does not give you a way to see where you will be taken (i.e., in Explorer, when you mouse-over a link, the URL or mailto link is displayed at the bottom of the window so you know if you're going to leave the site you're viewing or just go to another section).

That's because IE has the status bar on by default, while Safari has it off. You can turn it back on under View.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Re: APPLE READ THIS

Originally posted by mclosers
I hope apple reads this....
anyways how about an option in safari to alway open all links in a new tab rather than having to right click(or control click for you fools without a logitech mx700[best mouse ever made in my opinion]) anyways there should be multiple variations on the same concept like clicking a link opens it in a new window(instead of new tab) and maybe a key to hold down while clicking to open the link in a new tab instead of the same window, thus allowing people with tons of mice buttons(not sure about tense of mouse there) to click one button to open a link in a tab. This is a minor thing but would put safari light years(ok maybe .00001 light years) ahead of the competition and would help out lazy people all over the world

Huh? You can do this under the Preferences? Check it out. Logitech 700 was pretty good, seems like mice quality goes downhill. I like the Apple mouse but that one button is completely worthless.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by ginoledesma
In Panther, there are two ways to connect/mount an SMB server: using Connect to Server (Command-K) or using the Finder's network browser. In the latter, there is an issue of "connectnig" to a computer but not being able to disconnect from it as opposed to just mounting/unmounting a volume. Computers are considered active/connected when their icons in the network browser list are not grayed out (colored).
You can drag those computer names to the Trash, and they'll gray out, and you'll have to type the password back in to re-connect. That's what you want, right?

Now, I'm not sure if this works for SMB connections, but it definitely does work for AFP.

HTH
WM

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Can anyone say whether they've added an option to open the download manager in a new tab instead of a separate window?

If so, then my email to Apple about this must have worked and I will be a happy camper.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by jettredmont
For now, though, dragging the link to a Safari window will do (although it would be nice to be able to drag it to the tab bar and have Safari create a new tab like Firebird does ...)
This already works. There's always a space to the right of the rightmost tab, into which you can drag a link to create a new tab with that link. Once you get enough tabs that the >> overflow menu appears, you can drag links onto that and you'll also get a new tab. At least, that works with links from Safari windows--maybe it doesn't work with links from other apps...?

HTH
WM

Kiwi-Todd

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Dunedin, NZ
I'd have to believe that there is something wrong with your setup as I use this functionality every day. Might want to check your Directory Access to make sure you are using Appletalk and SMB. But I've had great luck with these features.

I have had the same problems as Stike - browsing the network is totally flaky - even mac to mac has become a lottery for me in Panther let alone mac-win.

My network was purrfect in Jaguar - so I see no reason why I should expect it to pack-up due to an upgrade.

My Mac reseller has had heaps of similar problems with other customers and to date they can't nail the problem down to one thing.

I am also hoping for a return to the functionality and stability of Jaguar's networking.

Kiwi-Todd

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Dunedin, NZ
Panther has been a bane for SMB networking for a lot of people -- not just a few. Most of the time it doesn't bother regular users, but those who use it extensively feel the "backwardness" Panther seemed to take from Jaguar's improvements.

I couldn't agree more. I just want easy networking back as I am no techno guru just a plain old user!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.