Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a_kim

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
DC
Networking

Did nobody actually go to the link and read about the improvements? It seems pretty clear to me that they are addressing the filesharing issue with this update from this bullet:

- network volumes are now available in the Finder sidebar and Desktop for convenient access

Since this already happens (volumes appearing on the desktop and sidebar) when you manually connect to the fileshare in Connect to Server, I'm assuming that this bullet point is referring to when you connect via BROWSING the network. Or maybe I'm just reading this wrong?

-Alex

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
The death, and then rebirth, of my Titanium PB taught me a big lession about OS X: to avoid troubles completely reinstall the OS and wipe out everything.

I never, never, had to do this in any older OS -- going way, way back.

But now with OS 10.3.2 I have had zero problems (other than printing in Classic which is purely a Classic issue). I have to say that I am very happy with the OS now -- but I see a lot of problems for other users. I say bite the bullet and spend one weekend day completely redoing your OS and computer (this means lots of back-up work, of course). It's worth it.

Concerning 10.3.3: let's hope they wrap this thing up soon and get it into the rev b G5s by the end of March. Maybe we will start seeing more rumors coming at us in the next few weeks. For instance, will there be new RAM requirements for the rev b G5s? Will they go to 16 gigs? Will we see cheaper 1 gig sticks? What about dual opticals? New displays? If we don't start hearing new rumors someone needs to start making things up to keep things interesting.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by rfenik
Mail needs to be fixed. It doesn't send, i have to use microsoft entourage to send. Mail recieves mail ok tho....

-ko

It sends allright with me...

I suppose it does too on most configs out there, otherwise Apple would have had a huge problem. ;)

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by numediaman
Will they go to 16 gigs? Will we see cheaper 1 gig sticks?

I was under the impression that they already did, and that Apple's 8GB limit was an artificial one, imposed by availability of appropriately sized memory sticks.

As for cheaper sticks, well, wouldn't that be beyond Apple's control, and completely unrelated to an OS bump?

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Originally posted by adzoox
I have liked 10.3 - except for mail.

Has anyone else had a problem with 10.3 (all updates applied) and Mail.app?

I hope this update addresses my issue. I send in a bug report some 8 -10 times a day. (Mail_unexpectedly quits) Otherwise Panther is very solid.

I have absolutely no problems. First repair permissions. Second remove all hacks, unsanity, konfabulator (it caused more problems than it was worth), etc. All these hacksies are cute but they have caused stability problems in my system. Once I removed them, Panther has been solid. I was really surprised by konfabulator.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Originally posted by jouster
I was under the impression that they already did, and that Apple's 8GB limit was an artificial one, imposed by availability of appropriately sized memory sticks.

As for cheaper sticks, well, wouldn't that be beyond Apple's control, and completely unrelated to an OS bump?

You're right they are at 16GB, you just need the higher density DIMMS which are only now becoming generally available. Still too expensive though.

MightyB

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
Originally posted by stingerman
I have absolutely no problems. First repair permissions. Second remove all hacks, unsanity, konfabulator (it caused more problems than it was worth), etc. All these hacksies are cute but they have caused stability problems in my system. Once I removed them, Panther has been solid. I was really surprised by konfabulator.

I have also noticed many problem because Konfabulator is running. I don't know if it's the app itself, or specific widgets...

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
Font Book needs serious improvement

Yes, please fix Font Book. It's so slow and unresponsive, it feels like an application from the pre-10.1 days. It needs the Preview treatment, thorough optimization to make it the fastest in it's class (it's feature set considered.) It's made by Apple, for goodness sake!

Are all font management tools on OS X this poor? If so, it seems they need to work on font management on a deeper level within the OS. Font Book's current state is a lousy way to win over designers who might switch. :(

Samir 3.0

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2003
Originally posted by MattG
I'd really love a way to create network shortcuts -- for example, there are network shares that I access all the time, and it'd be nice not to have to navigate to them everytime. I'd like the ability to put a shortcut on my desktop, and so far,

Just put the folder that you need on the right side of the dock...
The only sad thing is that I didn't find a way to assign a new icon to the folders...
All the folders look too similar :(

Anyone knows hot to do it???

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Originally posted by srobert
Mail never crashed on me in 10.2 and 10.3

Maybe it's hardware specific. What's your Mac?

Mail crashes occasionally for me on 10.3x

I have Mail set to run at log in, it crashes on start-up occasionally. Maybe an issue with receiving certian types of email?

Safari is very stable on the other hand, yet some people say that crashes.

Neil

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Originally posted by Samir 3.0
Just put the folder that you need on the right side of the dock...
The only sad thing is that I didn't find a way to assign a new icon to the folders...
All the folders look too similar :(

Anyone knows hot to do it???
yes.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
I'm glad (well, you know what I mean....) to see that I wasn't the only one having trouble with Konfabulator. Since I got rid of it, I've had a pretty solid system. Keeping the number of menulings down seemed to help as well.

That said, my old PB G3 running 10.2.8 is still more stable. It just chugs away, month after month, running SETI, streaming to my TiVo, serving iTunes......

Konfabulator was a novelty that I liked *both* times I installed it, but after a few days, found that it just wasn't worth the hassle. I would like it if Apple would put some of the widget like features in the OS, though. The fewer apps I have to have open, the better afaiac.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Re: No new features

HFS Journaling in 10.2.2

Originally posted by leenoble
I'd like someone to supply a precedent for new features in an x.x.x release.

I may be wrong and I stand to be corrected but it ain't gonna happen. I don't think there have EVER been changes to functionality in any such release.

Think about it for a minute. Not everyone who uses a Mac is as passionate about the platform as us lot, and you know some people might actually use the printed manual that comes in the box. If Apple goes and makes fundamental changes to functionality in a regular update (AND THIS INCLUDES THE WAY FILE SHARING WORKS AT THE MOMENT) where would this leave those users. Their manuals would suddenly be wrong. There has never been a popup box appear when you do an OS update saying "Oh this has changed and now works like this, and there's this new feature we should make you aware of".

New features are only doable in an x.x release so you'll have to wait for 10.4 if Apple are going to backtrack on the new way that sharing works.

Updates are updates. UpGRADES are upgrades. Stop wishing for things that won't happen.

leenoble

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Nope

HFS Journaling in 10.2.2

Doesn't count, there was no GUI change. It was only doable by devout macheads who come to these sort of places.

I'm talking about the incessent barking for things like Home on iPod which seem to accompany every report of a pending update.

Putting Network volumes in the sidebar wouldn't be a change it would be a fix since it sometimes works at the moment and other times the disk you drag over just shrinks away for no logical reason.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Re: Nope

HUH? That was a huge change. And it was easily turned on, and off, not to mention the option to turn on journaling with a reinstall / clean install..

GUI changes only count? Newbie :rolleyes:

HFS Journaling in 10.2.2

Doesn't count, there was no GUI change. It was only doable by devout macheads who come to these sort of places.

I'm talking about the incessent barking for things like Home on iPod which seem to accompany every report of a pending update.

Putting Network volumes in the sidebar wouldn't be a change it would be a fix since it sometimes works at the moment and other times the disk you drag over just shrinks away for no logical reason.

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Re: No new features

I'd like someone to supply a precedent for new features in an x.x.x release.

I may be wrong and I stand to be corrected but it ain't gonna happen. I don't think there have EVER been changes to functionality in any such release.

[...]

New features are only doable in an x.x release so you'll have to wait for 10.4 if Apple are going to backtrack on the new way that sharing works.

Updates are updates. UpGRADES are upgrades. Stop wishing for things that won't happen.

CUPS printing, in I believe 10.2.3. Added support for thousands of printers that were never before supported by any Macintosh OS.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
what about that firewire 400 problem...the one where if i'm using an external HD via firewire and copying files, i can't use the mouse b/c the cursor starts jumping around everywhere and skipping all over the place. so, i have to wait until copying is done...i've heard others have the same problem...hope it's fixed.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Fix for certain Mail problems

For those with crashing problems with Mail:

See if it always crashes after you move a message to the junk folder. If so, try deleting the file:

~/Library/Mail/LSMMap2

This, I believe is where Mail stores its "learning" about junk mail patterns.

I just recently encountered this problem, and Mail was crashing 20 times a day until I realized it was the junk mail problem. Removing the above file fixed it completely, and Mail is back to its relatively stable self.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
No new features

The idea that an upgrades to the GUI can't take place because of an inability to update the manual is ridiculous!

Have you never heard of online help files, updates to Apple help, etc. etc. Manuals are only as good as the current revision of the OS and do not hinder the updating of OS.

Filesharing needs updating. I for one would at least like to see a search function added so that you could search for Machines, files, printers, etc. based on windows names. For some reason browsing on the network does not consistantly list all of the machines available. You can force a connection using the connect to server button and supplying a cryptic machine@ip address but I would like to see a search option that finds all machines, shared files, printers, etc based on keywords or simple machine names.

jeffmc425

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
Seattle, Wa
Re: Networking

Originally posted by a_kim
Did nobody actually go to the link and read about the improvements? It seems pretty clear to me that they are addressing the filesharing issue with this update from this bullet:

- network volumes are now available in the Finder sidebar and Desktop for convenient access

Since this already happens (volumes appearing on the desktop and sidebar) when you manually connect to the fileshare in Connect to Server, I'm assuming that this bullet point is referring to when you connect via BROWSING the network. Or maybe I'm just reading this wrong?

-Alex

This was a bug I reported in 10.3. it seemed that if ignore permissions was checked on the remote volume, when you go to browse them, they would appear, but would not be accessable. Someone else also reported this and the two bugs were closed, saying it was resolved. So I am making a brash assumption here, but it looks like this is one of the fixes.:)

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
HOPEFULLY they'll fix some printer drivers, my 880 worked great in 10.2, 10.3 WHAM no print control dialogue boxes (ability to print black and white, color, quality), even moved PPDs from my iBook (which is still 10.2) and that made things worse (now my G5 gets confused). Heard this from a few people. Also please put network browsing back the way it used to, what the F*** was Apple thinking (smoking) when they went to you need to know the IP address and you can't just browse the network. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!

Everything else about 10.3 is great, but these two HUGE step backs are a major inconvenience.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Originally posted by MongoTheGeek
I have had issues with Mail and some emails. It seems mostly to happen with forwards from AOL and I think its crufty html.

Other issues I have had with Mail and crashing has to do with some spam and empty messages.

That's when it happens to me ... it lies with in this issue I believe

It's not hardware specific as suggested - I have a synced iBook G4 and PowerBook G3 (with 550G4) - they do the exact same thing. I have tried to completely reinstall and reupdate 10.3 and even wiped the iBook and started over - I had zero mail problems in 10.2.8

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
Re: Re: Mac OS X 10.3.3 7F34

Originally posted by centauratlas
What I found interesting was that they said "This build (Safari) seems a bit crashy, sadly." Wonder if that is isolated.

Um, here's from the same website:
"Correction: It's quite stable. ;)

In my previous post I mention that Safari v125.1 appears 'crashy'. However after a restart I haven't had a single crash of Safari in 10.3.3 7F34. I've also received comments from a few developers: Some have also had that crash on first launch, others have not. It seems to be okay. "

leenoble

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
CUPS printing, in I believe 10.2.3. Added support for thousands of printers that were never before supported by any Macintosh OS

CUPS was added in 10.2
I was waiting for it to get my Epson 1520 working.

Journaling could only be turned on in Jaguar using the defaults.write command in the terminal and it didn't affect how anything worked to the average user. It wasn't until 10.3 that journaling became a GUI option.

Changing back to Jaguar's implementation of browsing networked volumes or sticking a home on ipod option on the accounts preferences would be an unexpected behaviour change since there is no way to let the average user who just runs the updates know that these changes have been made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.