Mac OS X 10.3.9 Windows Printer Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lewie109, Feb 20, 2006.

1. lewie109 macrumors member

lewie109

Ok. I have a G3 Ibook 384mb SDRAM Mac OS X 10.3.9. I want to printer share. My Dell Desktop PC and my iBook can File share great But I can't get the Supid PC to printer share. My Printer is a HP OfficeJet G85xi. It is connected to the PC by USB. I have set up my Home network and just named it lewis. My Dell has Windows XP Media Center Editon installed. It is a Dell Demension E310. I named the computer Dell. I have Sygate Personal Firewall installed and that is my firewall. But I try to set up my printer like apple said and the computer pops up a message NT Kernel & System has been blocked from accessing the network. It it is Set to be allowed......dang firewalls anyhow. I have AirPort for my Mac thats how I connect though my network. Yes... I do have a Ethernet hub. I don't have AirPort Express.. Just the original. And my 'book does not have an Extreme card. When my 'book tries to connect to the printer via SMB.....the computer said it has failed to connect to the printer.
    I'm sooooooo confused Please help.

Thanks,
    Lewie:)

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

How is the Dell connected to the network? If its using the AirPort, then get rid of that damn firewall. Software based firewalls are an absolute pain in the @$$ to deal with and the Airport has a firewall built into it so you basically have 2 firewalls to get around which isn't fun to do if you don't know what you're doing.

I think the firewall is killing everything...

3. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

The Dell is not connected to the AirPort It is connected to the Ethernet Hub.

4. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

That Apple Page Did not help. It did not work out.

5. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

That Apple Page Mr_Brightside_@ posted did not work out.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

sorry :( it worked for me at my uncle's house, but when i went back, it stopped working. it is tricky- one thing you might want to do is take a screenshot everytime you go to set it up again, then save the pic once you do it righ,t for future referance. beyond that, i dunno. sorry

7. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

I Have.... I went to http://www.google.com and searched for Windows & Mac OS 10.3 Printer Sharing. IT WONT FREAKN' WORK..... I hate Windows!!!!

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Try disabling the Firewall on the PC side and see if it prints. If it does, then through the firewall out. All it does is create a lot of problems and slow your internet connection and computer down. Also, make sure the Windows firewall is disabled. Its enabled by default.

If the ethernet hub is plugged into the AirPort, then you really don't need the firewall anyways as like I said before, the AirPort will keep outside intruders from getting in anyways.

BTW...once you do get the Mac to see/connect to the PC printer, you'll still need drivers on the Mac side. If there is no Mac driver for the printer you have you can probably get away with using the HP LaserJet 4 or 5 printer driver. Thats a pretty generic driver and works on a lot of laser printers, even some that aren't made by HP. The HP LJ 4/5 driver is installed by default with OS X as long as you chose to install the HP Printer drivers (which are chosen by default) when installing Mac OS X.

9. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

It's easiest to begin by eliminating possible causes that will confuse the process.

1. Disable all Firewalls (temporarily - just to eliminate them)

2. Connect your mac directly to the hub (to eliminate Airport - I don't think that's the problem but it's easier to get it out of the picture).

3. Connect the printer directly to the mac and confirm that you can install the drivers and print to it, then put it back on the PC

4. Now try, from the mac, Adding a new printer in the Printer Setup Utility, choose windows printing, your workgroup, your PC and then (hopefully) your printer. Choose the drivers (hopefully now available). Try a test print.

Let us know, exactly how you go with each of these steps and at what stage it's failing. The more detail you can provide about what happens and at what stage, the easier it will be to help you.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

11. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

I Tried that. It screwed up my computer I had to call Dell and they told me not to install it again. I had to completely wipe out my system. BTW: Your link does not work...Apple can't find the page.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How bizarre. Bonjour works brilliantly on my Dell. :confused:

Oh, and it seems they updated it to 1.0.2 a few weeks ago (hence the bad link). Did you try this version? Thanks for the heads up on the link too. :cool:

13. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

Nope but I will check on it later.... Do I need to maybe do screenshots???:D

14. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Screen shots are always helpful.

Do you know how to take screen shots on both the Mac and PC? On the PC, press the print screen key on the keyboard and then launch Paint and click on Edit and Paste then save it as a JPEG, NOT BMP!!!! On the Mac, press Apple Shift 3 to take a pic of the whole screen, or press Apple Shift 4 to get a crosshairs and you can choose what to take a pic of by dragging and releasing. One last way on the Mac is to press Apple Option 4 and then hit the spacebar. A camera will appear and whatever you click on, it will take a pic of.

15. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Edit: Stupid question... but thought I'd ask anyway..... Did you set the printer itself to be shared?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same problem... but vice-versa... I had the printer connected to the mac and couldn't get XP home to recognize it even though I had printer share checked in sharing.....

Anyway.. I installed Dave on the mac and all was well.....

16. Luis Cosme macrumors newbie

In my case: Everything prints ok if I print from the Windows PC that the Dell printer is connected to, but every time I tried to print from my mac through my home network to my dell printer which is connected to the PC everything came out jarbled! I called Dell. They don't make a driver for Mac. Their printer only works on pc. And you cannot buy the ink from anywhere except Dell! that sucks! Just thought I throu my 2 cents in here for the public.