Mac OS X 10.4.9 8P125/8P2125 Seeded

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 3, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to published reports on the internet, Apple is very close to releasing the Mac OS X 10.4.9 (Tiger) update based on the latest seeds to both their developer and their customer seeding programs.

This broad seeding generally indicates that Apple believes that their update is ready for the masses. The final seed lists no known issues remaining to be fixed and details fixes to OpenGL, GraphicsDrivers Common Code, Core Image, Sync Services, ImageIO, CoreData and iSync.

This is the fourth consecutive week of seeding a new 10.4.9 build from Apple.

2. macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Does this make people think that Leopard is far away? I hope not.

3. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Cool bring it on.

4. macrumors newbie

l33t but maybe i should just wait and not pay attention to these minor upgrades

5. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

waiting for 10.5.

6. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Meh, just another update. But as Strider44 said, Bring it on.

7. Moderator emeritus

It doesn't make me think that Leopard is any closer than it was. It will likely be a while.

8. macrumors 68030

Platform

10.4.9....hopefully 10.5 will come sooooon.....can't wait :D :apple:

9. macrumors 68020

Xavier

It could just mean they are finishing off Tiger by seeding a 10.4.9.

Soon we will all see the actual glory of 10.5! I can't wait

10. macrumors regular

_

11. macrumors member

opuslab

Here comes the Tiger's finale...

12. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

This comes up with every time 10.4 is updated. Why does everyone think that .9 means no more updates? Can't we have 10.4.10, 10.4.11 and so on? Like Apple said, Think Different!™

13. macrumors G4

Chundles

OK folks, I'll get it out of the way for you:

newbie: "W00t! 10.4.9 iz teh last version of Tiger, bring on da Leapord"

normal member: "No, 10.4.9 is just a version number, they can have 10.4.10 or 10.567.123 if they want to, it's not a decimal point. How could it be a decimal point when there's already two of them in the version number anyway?"

newbie: "Whatever. Leapord iz gunna be out at teh Feb 20th event so 10.4.9 is gunna be teh last Tiger!"

normal member: "There's no way in hell that Leopard will be arriving any time soon - if there is an event on the 20th which so far there is no compelling evidence to suggest, we might get an extended preview of what's coming but the state of Leopard seeds to developers suggests a long wait before 10.5 comes out - I reckon April 10th will be the day."

newbie: "April 10th? So if I buy a MAC now will I get Leapord for free?"

normal member: "Not unless you buy the new Mac after the shipping date for Leopard is announced. Until then you'll have to pay for Leopard."

newbie: "That is teh suxx0rs. Apple is teh ghey."

Right, that's basically the gist of the thread so everyone can go back to their business and we'll probably see 10.4.9 next week sometime. iTunes 7.1 sometime the week after when the :apple: TV ships and after that the next big thing will either be a combined 10.5/iLife '07/iWork '07 launch in April or the latter two titles will get a quiet release in March and 10.5 will follow in April.

14. macrumors 6502a

"Actually, I do not think apple will release a 10.4.10 as that would be too confusing"

:p

15. macrumors 603

Multimedia

Our Final Step To Leopard

Bring it on. Means not much further to 10.5.0 Leopard. Happy Spring '07. :)

16. macrumors regular

chundles your post was quite annoying

17. macrumors G4

Chundles

Ta. It's what I do. ;)

18. Guest

zblaxberg

chill out dude...you don't know crap about leopard either so sit back and relax like the rest of us

19. macrumors G4

Chundles

It's a joke Joyce, geeze are all you lot born without sarcasm detectors or what?

Stop taking everything so damned seriously.

20. macrumors 6502

New hardware?

Does the timing suggest new hardware/updated hardware next week?

21. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Doubtful

I hope it fixes my Bluetooth headset!

22. macrumors G4

Chundles

Possibly but I doubt it.

The next Intel product in the upgrade path is the T7700 processor (2.4GHz version of the current Core 2 Duo processor shipping in most Macs) that will have to tide us over for the late arrival of the new Santa Rosa platform which will bring the Crestline (Intel call it "Centrino Pro") chipset which combined will give some very handy features. It will keep the current version of the Core 2 Duo processor until the 45nm Penryn versions arrive later this year.

We're in a bit of a lull from Intel as they get their next kit ready for manufacturing.

Doesn't mean that we won't see new products based on existing tech but I just don't see it happening as yet - the Penryn versions of the Core 2 Duo processor have some really cool features re: heat and power consumption that make use in a small portable Mac really worth the wait.

So no, I think we'll be seeing some big software announcements in the first half of this year with Leopard and iLife/iWork/Pro Apps updates and the second half of the year will be more hardware stuff with new Macs, the iPhone and new iPods. Hardware releases closer to the US Back to School and the Christmas buying seasons really help Apple's bottom line as all the shiny new stuff gets free shopping hype from the media.

23. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

a.k.a. May 2007

24. macrumors 6502

Thanks. So, no reason for me to delay a hardware purchase. With the 10 day price protection plan, I would at least get a rebate if Apple does release updated/cheaper hardware next week. I suppose I can wait until Tuesday to see. I will have to update more than one Mac, so I need a family pack update for Leopard/iLife, so the software is less of a concern.

25. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have updated the Merom article to better reflect new information about Santa Rosa.

Please take it into account for new hardware release along with Leopard and iLife/iWork '07 rumors. I honestly think Apple will wait until they can get ahold of Santa Rosa and then release it paired with Leopard.