Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has seeded Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2111) to developers tonight. The newest version of Tiger (10.4) promises fixes to a number of areas.

A number of fixes have been documented. Among those, include bugs wtih Sync Service Engine, rsync and extended attributes, .Mac Sync, Rosetta, USB Modem and caller ID, Bluetooth device pairing, USB modem busy tone detection, QC Engine, Core Graphics and HID Manager, PDFKit and MallocGuardEdges, and Automator Actions.

Meanwhile, Apple asks developers to stress certain areas for testing beyond those described in the bug fixes. These areas include Adobe Flash, bash, bind, Bonjour, Dashboard Widgets, FireWire, Fonts, gnutar, Graphics, and iChat Video Conferencing.

Apple last publicly updated Tiger (10.4.x) on September 29th, 2006.

[[ digg this ]]

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Wow, I was wrong (no surprise :)) I thought they weren't going to release another version. But They actually did it. I wonder when it's released to the public?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Well, it's good to see the last version of Tiger out the door. Now make room for Leopard at MWSF '07!! :D:D:D

Heh... No.

Wow, I was wrong (no surprise :)) I thought they weren't going to release another version. But They actually did it. I wonder when it's released to the public?

Most likely it'll be about a month till we see 10.4.9 in Software Update - so sometime after MWSF to allow any new hardware to speak to our current Macs.

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
...eh... about to download...

...this where they break tiger so that we truly appreciate leopard.

Morris

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
London, Europe
Wow, I was wrong (no surprise :)) I thought they weren't going to release another version.
Since the release date for Leopard is "spring", which could technically very well mean June actually, I expect at least a 10.4.10 after this, maybe even a last 10.4.11 around the time Leopard comes out.

Didn't Panther get a last update after or around the time Tiger came out?

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I would hope Apple could to math and realize their naming scheme would end at 4.9.

-=|Mgkwho

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I hope that when they say "bluetooth device pairing" they mean that they're going to fix it so that non-apple bluetooth devices can wake the computer without waking it from sleep repeatedly and unintentionally...

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
I would hope Apple could to math and realize their naming scheme would end at 4.9.

-=|Mgkwho

You might enjoy this aging thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/116685/

and especially this bit of wisdom:

gekko513 said:
(from 03-23-2005, 09:25 AM)
after 10.3.9 comes 10.3.10 ...

If you didn't already get this, get it into your head that the point is NOT A DECIMAL POINT it's just a number separator, kind of like 10|3|9. There's no such thing as a number with two decimal points.

Please accept this and tell all your friends so that we don't have to go through this for every story of an OS or software update with version numbers approaching 10.

Edit: Ok, maybe I should have flipped over from page 2 to page 3 before pressing reply ... This seems to have been covered.

So ... why no release notes on differences just between 10.3.8 and 10.3.9?

Right, what Kresh said.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
This looks like it may well be the last version of 10.4. Whilst I agree about the fact that they could go to 10.4.10, history is against us with this one.

Also, the fact they've asked developers to flesh out certain areas makes me think they want this to be the "definitive" version of Tiger.

Has anyone else noticed that when watching anything flash-based in safari... If you deselect that window, the framerate goes down by at least 50%...

Hopefully they're fixing that! It'd make my week!

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I'm beginning to think that 10.5 is going to be released with Vista. Apple may be leveraging its press.

I like it.

no way. vista, technically, is already released. it's certainly RTM and well beyond gold master.

10.5 hasn't even reached release candidate status yet. i don't think we'll see it until april or may.

i also suspect macworld is going to release some pretty significant upgrades. time machine and spaces, while unequivocally cool and fairly hefty programming challenges are built upon existing unix applications/services.

ditto the ichat, calendar, spotlight, safari and mail enhancements. all are nice new features, but definitely doable within a typical 18 month product cycle.

64bit support, resolution independent UI and core animation all strike me as technology that has been under development prior to 10.4 so while those are very challenging projects it seems apple has been working on them for 36+ months.

i don't know what they're going to do, but a new UI seems a safe bet. a new finder doesn't seem too preposterous either. based on the note here about specifically testing out adobe flash, i have a feeling that we might see some sort of advanced integration with apollo to help counter windows' WPF thing. maybe even native support for actionscript (e.g. python and ruby)? yikes! that would be so cool.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
I'm beginning to think that 10.5 is going to be released with Vista. Apple may be leveraging its press.

I like it.

There's not been enough publicity for a full, retail launch for Leopard at MWSF. Perhaps we'll get a launch date that coincides with Vista as you're saying as that might be enough time. I doubt it though. We'll probs just see more of it. The hype around Tiger's launch date went on for months IIRC.

And yeah, will the decimal point pedants get out of here and realise that that argument has been done and dusted a long, long time ago.

Morris

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
London, Europe
This looks like it may well be the last version of 10.4. Whilst I agree about the fact that they could go to 10.4.10, history is against us with this one.
Well, history is telling us the last version number is getting higher and higher. Previous last versions:
They never use the same last number twice! :D

Also, the fact they've asked developers to flesh out certain areas makes me think they want this to be the "definitive" version of Tiger.
That's standard procedure, they fiddle with some code and ask testers to focus on that changed part. They've asked similar questions each update.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Cool. I would not have thought there would be another version this close to 10.5 Bring it on I love them software updates.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Cool. I would not have thought there would be another version this close to 10.5 Bring it on I love them software updates.

3+ months isn't all that close. We could still see another point release to Tiger before Leopard lobs.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005

I like it.

They won't try releasing near Vista. Release before Vista and everyone talks about you until the end of Jan and then they forget about you. Release right after and you look like you are trying too hard to do a "me too". Apple will wait it out and release as soon as the hubub about Vista dies down so people will look at it and go "hey, this is much better" and it will make OS X the most up-to-date system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.