Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Official Release Date

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteveC, Jun 18, 2004.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

So the WWDC is coming up soon, and Apple will be previewing Mac OS X "Tiger" at the event -- which begs the question, how soon after a "preview" of a Mac OS X update, on average, does the retail version become available? A month? More?

I'm deciding if I should buy a new Mac now, or wait until Tiger will be on it. What are your thoughts?

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

At WWDC last year, Apple previewed Panther. It didn't ship until October, 4 months after it was previewed.

If you want a new Mac now, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait.

3. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Plus there's some thought that with Apple's announcement of longer waits between OS updates that Tiger might ship closer to the end of the year (Nov/Dec)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im going to agree that the ship date on Tiger will probably be later in the year, perhaps late October for the earliest and early December for the latest, but thats just my speculation and it is a rather wide time frame too

5. StrangeQuark macrumors member

They might ship on October 4th, for numerology's sake. There was talk of them doing that for Panther (on 10/03) but the development took longer than planned.

6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Didn't they say that they were going to slow the OS releases after Tiger? Maybe not.

I say late October - like Panther.

JOD8FY

7. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Another question is do you neally need Tiger? Based on the rumors and leaks, it does not look to be quite the upgrade that Jaguar and Panther were...

8. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

No, it'll probably be better, keep in mind rumors aren't always true, and Panther seemed lame to many people when the rumors for that were going around... And OF COURSE EVERYBODY NEEDS THE UPDATED OS... Well at least I want it... But I'll wait till it's perfected.

NEWER is BETTER!

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i thought that when Apple said they were having longer intervals between updates, they were saying that about Tiger? well i'm not getting my hopes up of seeing it before next year...

10. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

depends

It will be awhile ( 4 months at least) until the next release, so buy one sooner than later. the part to look out for is updates and it depends what mac you're looking at too:
    G5=Buy now :D (but...) w/Display= wait a month at the latest
    iMac=Dont buy until next major revision (dont buy a .5 mhz boost)
    Ibook and pbs=BUY NOW

Hope it helps
    ~Nate13

11. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

What about eMacs? Is now a good time to buy, or better to wait? Any rumors on the next specs the eMacs will have?

12. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I think it's safe to buy an eMac now. They shouldn't be updated at WWDC.

JOD8FY

13. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

I hope to see a native 64bit support for the G5 with Tiger... something that will boost the os to the capacity wich can be delivered with 64bit G5 processors...

maybe a check in the installer so it knows if there is a G5 and do the installation accordingly... that should be possible I guess ;-)

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

we'll know after steve's keynote, they always announce it then