Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret believes that Apple is about ready to release the first update to Mac OS X Leopard.

Mac OS X 10.5.1 has been undergoing testing by developers over the past two weeks, and ThinkSecret claims that it has been finalized at build 9B18. The last build made available to developers was 9B16 and was released seeded earlier this week. There were no known issues at that time.

The update is expected to simply provide stability, compatibility, and security improvements for Leopard.

Article Link

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I'm getting closer and closer to buying Leopard....and this certainly helps!

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
Yippee

So, any word on 10.4.11 yet? I'm thinking of upgrading my work computer from Panther to Tiger, but not before 10.4.11 :p

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Hopefully it fixes the problem with waking up, eliminates the problem with Airport scanning after waking up which causes the choppy mouse movement and the only thing to repair it is to restart, patches the bug with mosaic wallpaper which shows white center image or even cannot be launch (sometimes), improves the firewall, fixes the choppiness of genie effect, adds functionality back to Time machine, reduces the "greediness" of Time Machine in sucking all spaces available in our HD, brings back hierarchy function in stack, doesn't let the dock minimize when Stack is opened, lets the each folder remembers their "View" mode, doesn't make the icon grows to gargantuan size when we resize the folder, and improves the overall performance...

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'm sure that many of the fixes were made after Leopard went GM, but before it hit the shelves; that's the joy of having the internet. Ten years ago things had to be right before they shipped; I recall receiving a free Office update on multiple floppies :eek:

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I haven't installed 10.5 yet. I have Leopard but I'm awaiting my back-up portable hard drive to arrive ( and back up with Superduper!); then install 10.5.

Now, with this announcement, I'll probably wait until 10.5.1 arrives.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
Hopefully it will fix a few inconsistencies with the Finder and the Dock, like moving icons around on the dock they don't "move" aside all the time, also the time on iCal doesn't change automatically unless the computer's restarted...and other few things here and there.
I'm looking forward to it! :)

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Meh... Don't get too excited for this... it's not like it's gonna make any feature changes... just bug fixes.

I heard that Safari is snappier though.

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
I'm hoping the following will be fixed:

• Aperture & Time machine issue
  • Spell checker in Safari
  • Safari 3 stability - seems to crash more often than 10.4 did. Not a big deal but still annoying when it happens.
  • Fix already identified security flaws (i.e. firewall etc.)

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
I'm going to rate this negative.

Out of curiosity, why?

uuuuuhhh...

An aversion to odd numbers?
An objection to the fact that an update is even needed?
Biblically-inspired bigotry toward "alternative" operating systems that represent 10% of the population?
Sheer bloody-mindedness?
Lord Patton is Grumpy Smurf's love child?
To demonstrate the sheer futility of the rating system?

(between you and me, I read on 9to5mac that it's the Grumpy Smurf thing...)

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Yippee

So, any word on 10.4.11 yet? I'm thinking of upgrading my work computer from Panther to Tiger, but not before 10.4.11 :p

Im starting to think the 10.4.11 update has been scraped. There has been no word on it for weeks. Certainly no more developer releases anyway. Plus Apple never released an update for an OS that has been superseded. Security updates excepted.
Anyway, Why hold of on Tiger altogether just because of this small update!? 10.4.10 is a big step forward over any release of 10.3

As for you guys that are clearly getting all moist about 10.5.1.. Seriously guys, get a grip of yourselves.

pixel001

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
firewall fix ?

Well when they fix the firewall i'll *maybe* consider upgrading.
in the meantime : Tiger ftw !

ct-scan

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
The one thing...

I can "live" a bit longer with many of the problems, but there is one that is just driving me completely nuts...where did my battery go????

I hope they fix this issue. My MBP was getting around 3 hrs of battery time on 10.4.10, but once on 10.5, I barely get 90 minutes!

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
I'm hoping the following will be fixed:

• Aperture & Time machine issue
  • Spell checker in Safari
  • Safari 3 stability - seems to crash more often than 10.4 did. Not a big deal but still annoying when it happens.
  • Fix already identified security flaws (i.e. firewall etc.)

not to mention the Time Machine bug, when you go to the menu item 'open with...' over a document you get every single backup application show up. Also, I agree with the Safari stability, it crashes way more often.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
uuuuuhhh...

An aversion to odd numbers?
An objection to the fact that an update is even needed?
Biblically-inspired bigotry toward "alternative" operating systems that represent 10% of the population?
Sheer bloody-mindedness?
Lord Patton is Grumpy Smurf's love child?
To demonstrate the sheer futility of the rating system?

(between you and me, I read on 9to5mac that it's the Grumpy Smurf thing...)

1) yes
2) no
3) Only if you're referring to the Old Testament
4) Always
5) I don't think so, but not ruling it out
6) finger to nose

I hate hate hate 9to5mac (see reason 1 above)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.