Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Most people want to change the name and not the extension, this is a feature for those users that accidentaly change the extension and end up not being able to open the file or opening it with the wrong application.
Shouldn't the extension be hidden by default? If so then why are people changing that behaviour then complaining?

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Any word on whether it will fix Time Machine backups to disks with MBR partitioning schemes?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306932

I'm about to go through a painful backup/restore process to repartition, would love it if I didn't have to.

-puk

Not likely to be fixed ever, that is not really a bug. Wipe the disk, create a single partition and dedicate it to TM.

You will likely see a little more support documents but not a fix.

Shouldn't the extension be hidden by default? If so then why are people changing that behaviour then complaining?

Hey, some people like red some like blue, what is good for one does not satify the next.

To answer your question .... most times the extension is hidden (optional), however when renaming in Tiger you saw the entire name.

TYDZN

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Roseville, CA
I hope if fixes the ability to use custom sounds for iChat alerts. As of now, I can import a sound and it plays fine within the Alert Preferences tab, but all I get is my general system error sound when it's supposed to play.

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
same here

I though it was just me being paranoid but now I can confirm it is not.

Thanks.

I can "live" a bit longer with many of the problems, but there is one that is just driving me completely nuts...where did my battery go????

I hope they fix this issue. My MBP was getting around 3 hrs of battery time on 10.4.10, but once on 10.5, I barely get 90 minutes!

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Time Machine on ppc and intel

Ok, that support document you guys linked to gives a solution for using a PPC machine (Apple Partition Map) or an Intel machine (GUID). What about those of us running each machine?

I have a 500 GB external that is partitioned into three volumes: one for a powerbook, one for a macbook, and an extra one for a bootable clone. It was formatted using the Apple Partition Map. As such, it works for my powerbook, but the wife's macbook, although successfully completing the first backup, won't make incremental backups.

Who wouldn't consider this a bug?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I still don't understand why people can't click on "show in finder" in the stack. sure, it's one more click, but you can still open a finder in the dock this way AND get the stack view.
Yes except you have to go all the way to the top of the stack to access it.
I agree this doesn't fix the contextual menu heirarchial view in the dock. And i also agree that it should be an option to totally bypass the stack option and go straight to folder view.

Which is what was so good about it under Tiger.

asdfTT123

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Will this update include better drivers for GMA X3100 for the new SR Macbooks? As I recall from multiple sources, the drivers on the first release of Leopard was rather flaky and poorly optimized.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Spaces Bug

I created a set of Spaces for some apps and bound them, then I disabled Spaces all together. Eventhough Spaces is disabled, the apps I assigned are still bound to them. I can still navigate through Spaces even though it's turned off in the preference pane.

Anyone else have this issue?

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
not to mention the Time Machine bug, when you go to the menu item 'open with...' over a document you get every single backup application show up. Also, I agree with the Safari stability, it crashes way more often.

This is really ironic. I was just going to post that I think it's quite the opposite—been running Safari every day heavily since the Leopard release—and never got a single crash. But Safari just crashed a minute ago when I was scrolling a Gmail... But it's still just one crash. :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I created a set of Spaces for some apps and bound them, then I disabled Spaces all together. Eventhough Spaces is disabled, the apps I assigned are still bound to them. I can still navigate through Spaces even though it's turned off in the preference pane.

Anyone else have this issue?

Have you repaired permissions and re-booted since ?

And make sure "Show spaces in menu bar" is deselected.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
And of course the biggie, that you can no longer heirarchically navigate folders sitting in the dock.

My biggest problem, as you mention, is the ever-changing icon. As I mentioned a while ago in another thread, I have several folders docked, and use each of them for various media files while I work, plus the downloads folder and my documents folder.

As I work, download required files, shift stuff between my media folder and documents folder, the icons are not only changing each time but often end up as the same thing (ie, a Quicktime movie icon, an AC3 audio file icon). Within a few minutes I'm totally lost.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Here is a nice solution...

picture1hd6.png

EDIT: Just saw this post. These overlays really make all the difference in the world!
This doesn't make them perfect, but it really, really helps!

http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

I HIGHLY suggest using these!

(NOTE that it's not a hack or a program...just icons you drop in each folder.)

puk

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
Not likely to be fixed ever, that is not really a bug. Wipe the disk, create a single partition and dedicate it to TM.

You will likely see a little more support documents but not a fix.

It's debatable whether lack of support for this is a bug or not, but their current failure mode is definitely a bug. "Say you can backup and then freeze without an error after 10gb or so" is not really acceptable, so I hope they at least warn you against trying, even if they're not going to add support.

Yes, and backing up all the data I have on there to another disk, wiping the disk, and restoring is exactly the painful process I wanted to avoid. Oh, well.

-puk

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
I'm just hoping they fix the bug whereby my ibook transforms into a 40 ft robotic killing machine with laser eyes. Anyone else had this problem?

CatharticFlux

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2004
Marietta, GA
It would be really nice if they fixed the lack of categories when doing the "Show All" in Spotlight.... I vastly prefer it to coverflow view in this one case.

EVH

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Swansea, Wales
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

When applying system updates do you guys recommend doing a permissions-repair?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It's debatable whether lack of support for this is a bug or not, but their current failure mode is definitely a bug. "Say you can backup and then freeze without an error after 10gb or so" is not really acceptable, so I hope they at least warn you against trying, even if they're not going to add support.

Yes, and backing up all the data I have on there to another disk, wiping the disk, and restoring is exactly the painful process I wanted to avoid. Oh, well.

-puk

There is no debate.A hard drive formatted as MBR is not a bug.It's what happens when you buy a new HD since most drives come that way.
There are lots of documentation on what format any external disk should be in before using it for TM.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Ok, that support document you guys linked to gives a solution for using a PPC machine (Apple Partition Map) or an Intel machine (GUID). What about those of us running each machine?

I have a 500 GB external that is partitioned into three volumes: one for a powerbook, one for a macbook, and an extra one for a bootable clone. It was formatted using the Apple Partition Map. As such, it works for my powerbook, but the wife's macbook, although successfully completing the first backup, won't make incremental backups.

Who wouldn't consider this a bug?

Can the PPC machine recognize GPT? If so then just partition it that way and let TM take care of the rest.

seashellz2

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
>>>maybe 10.4.11 was scrapped....
-----
well, as it seemed to be just minutes away from being released at a couple of points. I doubt theyd throw all that work out as it fixed a few still annoying problems from 10.4.10.-which many people still use-especailly after all the 'rave' reviews on 10.5

And anyway, after a disastrous meticulous clean install of 10.5 only-NOTHING else to blame- I will wait for 10.5.2-assuming that it gets things right.

I really do hate paying APPLE $129 for the privilge of being a beta seed tester. Which I think is what 10.5 really is.
No final testing-just shoved out the door as-is because of the magical "Oct 26" date that had to be adheared to...

Another really odd thing-SU offered to update my HP printer (?!). Unfortunately the only place to configure it was the printer preference pane.
No other icon confuring. HP printer selector used to reside in Utilities. Same with printer setup Utility.
You could also put a desktop print job icon on the desktop for a quick look at whats up.
Not too thrilling now

Anyway 10.4.11 will be a quantum leap over 10.5...;-)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
There is no debate.A hard drive formatted as MBR is not a bug.It's what happens when you buy a new HD since most drives come that way.
There are lots of documentation on what format any external disk should be in before using it for TM.

But TM should just give an error before backing up at all, something like "TM only works on a disk formatted XYZ". Backing up 10 gigs and then stopping is poor behaviour on the app's part.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
This is an incorrect statement. I utilized folders perfectly in Tiger. The reason Stacks can be better is that:

a) a large icon represents the application instead of just a file name
b) extra unncecessary windows are not opened. why do I need to open an extra finder window to launch an application?

I think that some are not utilizing Stacks properly. For me, I created an extra folder called "Music Apps" and put aliases of all my music applications in this folder and moved this folder into my dock (did the same for all final cut apps).

Now I just click on my "Music Apps" stack and click on the app I need. I can find it easier because a big 'ol icon shows me what I need...AND I don't need to close an extra finder window later.

I love stacks but do feel the idea can be improved upon by bringing back tiger elements to dock folders for those who need them.
Exactly.

I was not trying to claim that there is not a problem for some users, just that it's a bit overblown when you consider all of the facts.

I'm a picky user also, it bugs me that my downloads stack is always ugly and that I can't replace it with a nicer icon, but it's just not the unmitigated disaster that it's being made out to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.