Mac OS X 10.5.2: Optional Translucent Menubar, DVD/CD Sharing

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 21, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Some screenshots of the new features found in the Mac OS X 10.5.2 seed have been detailed by BabyGotMac.com. Amongst the new features:

- Transparency in the menu bar is now optional and can be set in Desktop Preferences:

[​IMG]

- DVD/CD sharing preferences, allowing you to share your optical drive with the upcoming MacBook Air.
    - List view in Stacks as previously mentioned:

[​IMG]

- One screenshot claims that network drives are now enabled with Time Machine. This is not an accurate statement, however, as Time Machine does have limited network drive capabilities in Mac OS X 10.5.1. Time Machine specifically does not allow Airport Extreme network drives, and as far as is known, this situation has not changed in 10.5.2.
    - Meanwhile, we've received word that Apple has included a new Time Machine menubar pulldown that gives you the status of TimeMachine and allows you to initiate a backup, open preferences and see the time of the last backup

MacScoop provides an itemized list of all the fixes and changes in the 10.5.2 seed as described in the seed notes, however, Apple does not detail every change.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68000

Mindflux

This is ludicrous. They disabled it right before Leopard shipped, yes you can do a hack (heck I posted it here)... but suddenly it'll work with a Time Capsule?

blah

3. macrumors 601

eXan

Good news for hose who can't stand the transparent menu bar ;)

4. macrumors member

But we can never bring back roundies. :(

5. macrumors 603

Rocketman

A seemingly short time from now all devices and resources will be accessable via wireless and even remote IP methods.

CPU's, drives, printers, discs, refrigerators, light switches, phones, and even cars.

The time is neigh.

Remember which ego-maniac brought it to reality, not Bill, but Steve. RDF indeed.

Rocketman

6. macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

That's awesome... thanks Apple!

7. macrumors regular

a1016neo

"Transparency in the menu bar is now optional and can be set in Desktop Preferences"

Yes!!! Thanks Apple. Can't wait for update

8. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10.5.2 is looking like the best Mac OS X update in ages. I hope it's better then 10.4.4.

9. macrumors 68030

Translucent Menubar is now optional? Thank you! :) It's good to know Apple is listening to user feedback.

10. macrumors 601

DMann

translucense

It's nice to have a choice..... looks like a great update so far...

11. macrumors member

fekimoki

Looking forward to it! Optional translucent is a relief to me.

12. macrumors 65816

:O Oh please oh please oh please..network backup!!!!

13. macrumors 6502

ThunderLounge

Guess we'll know within a week or two.

Since the MBA is shipping, and needs certain features of 10.5.2, guess it isn't rocket science to guess when we'll see it.

14. macrumors 65816

List view in stacks? Great.

Optional translucent menu bar? Surprisingly, not that awaited from me...It's been less annoying than I thought...

15. macrumors regular

canucks-17

You would think that they would enable network backup because of Time Capsule and all.

16. macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Translucent menu-bar disable option:eek::eek::eek: FINALLY, now I can have my green background without it looking weird when all in the screen is not so vivid and the menu-bar is shiny and not cool looking to me.

-Victor

17. macrumors member

The latest build that i just d/l from the ADC 9C16 the transparent option has been taken out so don't get your hopes up people... that screenshot is from build 9C7

18. macrumors 6502

The "translucent menu bar" option should really be in Appearance settings, not Desktop settings.

19. macrumors 65816

chr1s60

I liked the option for translucent menubar. When they first showed off Leopard, I was a fan of the translucent menubar, but after using leopard for a few months I am tired of it.

20. macrumors 68020

They must've done the translucent menu bar not just for aesthetics but so you'd get less burn-ins, but it seems as thought since I've installed Leopard from the first weekend that by the time I shut down everyday now, my temporary burn-in shows up....It's shown up more since Leopard, in other words.

21. macrumors 6502

I love how people think Apple just does things to piss people off, or for no good reason.

Even if it was related to a marketing concept that they wanted to fully realize with a new product line... So be it.

22. macrumors member

Adobe

The only thing I wanna know is this update going to actually allow adobe CS3 to work properly? I know there are a lot of people riding on such an update. Adobe's website claims it will, but is there any word? I could care less about translucent anything.

23. macrumors member

Translucent…

I miss my snappy white menu bar! Thanks Apple. Now just bring back that stock :)

24. macrumors 6502a

:( that would suck. I liked the old bar from tiger

25. macrumors 68020

samh004

Thankfully we wont need to hear of it any longer (as long as it's still an option), and I still don't see what the problem is :p Steve jobs probably didn't like the solid colour and decided that if he didn't like it, no one should have it

I think it blends in with the background really nicely, which is what they were going for I believe. So the only focus would be on the window your using, not anything else.