Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMojo

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
My 2.16 Ghz Macbook crashes & locks up Constantly under 10.5.1, just using Safari & Mail and Adium, I have 2 GB of RAM as well !!

I have re-installed etc no joy, I went back to Tiger for 2 weeks and not 1 crash. However Time Machine saves me so much hassle, as I am a consultant I need to make sure I have all my data backed up, just in case.

I expect more from Apple :mad:

Not to poke a stick in your already festering angry wound;

But I thought I'd post that Leopard hasn't had any real trouble here; I've just been lucky I guess and haven't experienced any of the recent problems with Leopard client.

When you get a bunch of frustrated people all in the same rum (<- get it?! ha) the issues look more widespread than they really may be. My hope is that people are truly reporting these issues and Apple knows about them to get them fixed.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I've been relatively happy with 10.5 so far except for one irritating problem: when changing desktop picture in System Prefs it will often hang and not show all of the images in the folder. If you change image folders it sometimes will hang and not show any of the images.

Anybody else seeing this problem?

Yes, I do. It's pretty annoying but you can get around it if you choose a different folder for desktop pictures and then choose the original one.

0racle

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
North Carolina
Battery life on my MacBook sucks after upgrading to Leopard and Leopard seems to have no idea about life left in it. For instance it reports 20 minutes life left and 13% battery or something and turns off moments later. I used to be able to run it to 6%, the icon would go red as it got low and the timer was accurate.

Logging on using Active Directory credentials takes forever.

So far, those have been my only problems and I have my fingers crossed for fixes soon.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Please, Please, PLEASE fix Stability in Safari and overall

It is killing me on both machines

Battery life on my MacBook sucks after upgrading to Leopard and Leopard seems to have no idea about life left in it. For instance it reports 20 minutes life left and 13% battery or something and turns off moments later. I used to be able to run it to 6%, the icon would go red as it got low and the timer was accurate.

Logging on using Active Directory credentials takes forever.

So far, those have been my only problems and I have my fingers crossed for fixes soon.
My MBP somewhat has had that issue but it gets right below 20% and BOOM...done

Now, it will go to 5-6 and die which is fine

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
My Guess!!

I am guessing that with the release of Time Capsule they will have to launch 10.5.2 with the Network drive issue fix.

I could be wrong, but isn't TC just a built in Network drive? Same as plugging my USB HD into my current AEBS Gigabit?

Let's hope so, and then I can finally have all 4 of my HD's on the network. Please.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I am guessing that with the release of Time Capsule they will have to launch 10.5.2 with the Network drive issue fix.

I could be wrong, but isn't TC just a built in Network drive? Same as plugging my USB HD into my current AEBS Gigabit?

Let's hope so, and then I can finally have all 4 of my HD's on the network. Please.

Check the specs of Time Capsule, everything can be done with 10.5.1 nothing requires 10.5.2. That doesn't exclude them fixing your problem in 10.5.2 though

For backup using Time Machine - Mac computer with Mac OS X v10.5.1 or later

For setup and administration Mac with Mac OS X v10.4 or later, CD drive, Ethernet or wireless networking capability

For wireless client access - Mac with AirPort or AirPort Extreme wireless capability

For shared printing with a USB printer - USB printer, Mac with Mac OS X v10.2.7 or later

For AirPort Disk with a USB hard drive - Mac with Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Check the specs of Time Capsule, everything can be done with 10.5.1 nothing requires 10.5.2. That doesn't exclude them fixing your problem in 10.5.2 though

My point, they hopefully fix this issue with network drives in 10.5.2, but say it works with 10.5.1. When you call apple to troubleshoot why it doesn't work on 10.5.1. The first thing they ask you if you have updated to the current release of Leopard. This is assuming a fix comes in 10.5.2 and that TC works the same way my USB HD does.

seashellz2

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
10.5.0 has some kind of curse on it.
Gandalf was able to tame it somewhat with the potion of 10.5.1.

But I will wait for in integrated RETAIL copy of 10.5.2
after all, in Masonic geometry "2" is avery important number....

How long does it usually take before download vs. retail disc copies of a release...?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
10.5.0 has some kind of curse on it.
Gandalf was able to tame it somewhat with the potion of 10.5.1.

But I will wait for in integrated RETAIL copy of 10.5.2
after all, in Masonic geometry "2" is avery important number....

How long does it usually take before download vs. retail disc copies of a release...?

Just because apple update 10.5 to 10.5.2 doesn't mean they will update their retail discs of 10.5.1 to 10.5.2.

With Tiger they only update the retails discs from 10.4.0 to 10.4.3 to 10.4.6 and possibly another one.

So you will most likely get 10.5.1 and then download the update to 10.5.2 I you come to Leopard upon the release of 10.5.2

seashellz2

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
Just because apple update 10.5 to 10.5.2 doesn't mean they will update their retail discs of 10.5.1 to 10.5.2.

With Tiger they only update the retails discs from 10.4.0 to 10.4.3 to 10.4.6 and possibly another one.

So you will most likely get 10.5.1 and then download the update to 10.5.2 I you come to Leopard upon the release of 10.5.2
--
My experience is that they do-especailly with a major update like 10.5.2
besides, I regularly check in at FRY's Mac section.

They didnt release a 10.4.11 disc or even 10.4.10

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
For the people reporting battery issues, have you tried calibrating your battery?

Lots of times. I can run it down so that it either goes to sleep or suddenly cuts the power. Let it off for for a day, then I can switch it on again, getting half an hour on battery. Then again half an hour the next day without recharging at all. Seems like that battery can't deliver once it's gotten warm. I can get my 4 hours total this way, but not in one streak. Here's my battery health:

picture1mz4.png

Note: That's my replacement battery, the original blew up (swelling up, flashing magsafe light, still kinda working tho) in Arpril 2007 when my Macbook still had warranty. I ordered a battery from fastmac.com, but that one didn't charge or discharge and didn't really fit into the case either. Sent it back and waiting for the replacement.

Having below 1 hour of battery combined with sudden power loss when it's depleted sucks big time.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Does anyone know if they are working on WIFI with 10.5.2? I nuked Leopard and OS X in general about 5 weeks ago and installed Vista with RC of SP1. This isn't a troll post....I'd dead serious when I say its 10x more reliable now. I'm not exagerating when I say that something with 10.5.1 or one of the latter patches FUBARed my Mac. It kept dropping the connection to my router even though the system said it was still connected, still had an IP address and the router saw it. It isn't my router either since my ThinkPad's connection was still working on it. The only resolution was to either reboot the system but more often then not turning off WIFI and turning it back on fixed the problem. I'm serious when I say that in the end before I nuked OS X every half hour I had to do this. Then there were the freezes. I could CONSISTENTLY cause OS X to freeze when I went from one network to another and changed location settings. So WIFI to WIFI, change location....freeze. WIFI to Ethernet, change location....freeze. I took it into the Apple store and explained everything. They ran diagnostics on it and then had me reinstall the OS. Still had problems.
Vista though...With SP1....much better. Standby\Sleep is instantanious, file transfers seem to have been resolved. Overall its been a heck of a lot more plesant of an expierience then Leopard has been. Frankly if it wasn't for some of the outstanding apps that can be found on OS X I would have sold my MacBook Pro months ago. I haven't been this pissed off with an OS since the days of Windows 9x.

PS- And I refuse to go back to that POS that is tiger. I have serious issues with Tiger and network shares. I lost count the number of times I came back from sleep when I was away from my home network, went to finder, oops forgot to disconnect the mount to my home network, hit the eject button, and BAM....beachball infinite for Finder. Leopard in that regard kicks tiger’s tail. It is much more fault torrent with shares.

surfsnow

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

If the wireless bug ain't fixed i'm gonna kill someone

I have Apple's Technical Support on speed dial, and ready to call them AS SOON AS they release 10.5.2. There is a chance that the Airport driver problem won't be fixed on this patch. I've learnt to expect less from Apple...

Please FIX some obvious bugs:
1. KP in the Airport driver
2. The "Magical", one item in trash can-->secure delete-->3 items to empty-->hangs after 2 items

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
It would be nice if we got things like the multi-touch trackpad support and remote disc for all Macs in 10.5.2. They're nifty little features and I don't think the multi-touch requires different hardware (since we're already using some multi-touch on our current macs with two finger scrolling).

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL

I've learnt to expect less from Apple...

And this is why I'm considering going back to Dell. I expected better from Apple. My expectations aren't nearly as high with Dell. I expect to have to fix my own crap...heck I expect crap from them...
Apple? Heck after hearing the wonderful experience that people have with Macs I expected everything to "just work". Bull crap. I've had nothing but problems and I really don't know why. It’s been a struggle since day one. And every time I think things have simmered down and the system is working fine some crap like the computer taking 3 minutes to come back from sleep occurs. It only happened once though and in front of someone I needed to show something too. Very embarrassing. If there is a problem with the hardware its with replacement hardware since November of '06 Apple replaced my original MBP outright. So this would be a second defective unit if this is the case. I'm almost past the point of being angry and almost....almost to the point where I'm resolved to the fact that OS X is a POS or just hates me. Many people have problems with Windows but none with OS X. Maybe it’s because I'm a geek but I had almost no problems with Windows and nothing but with OS X. The reason I switched was because I abhor product activation and really liked many of the apps on OS X. But if it’s that vs. not wanting to put my head through the screen in frustration.....

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Bring it on already, Apple. Overall, Leopard has gradually won me over (wasn't too thrilled at first) but there are some serious bugs in their active directory integration that has been causing me some major headaches at work. I know this is not something the average user encounters, but it's one of those things that causes you to scratch your head and wonder just how serious Apple is about getting Macs into business settings. I'm using it on a trial basis and while the networking in Leopard is light-years ahead of Tiger, the integration with AD leaves much to be desired. As it stands, I can't even remotely consider deploying Leopard where I work--no chance in hell. I'll grant Apple a reasonable grace period on this because no business in its right mind upgrades its production machines immediately on the release of a new operating system, but seriously, when it comes down to it, no version of OS X should ever ship with the kind of buggy implementation of the AD plug-in that Leopard has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.