Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
That right there is why Apple has a market share of 5%.

Yeah, that's what was said about Netscape back in the day. Blink, frames, marquee! The future! Rubbish.

Oh sweet irony.

These features are specified in CSS3.

Oh, wait, you're just trolling.

GenericUsername

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
Astoria (NYC), NY
...Apple released a new Safari 4.0 Developer Preview for Leopard, Windows and Tiger.
Ah, crap. My elderly father has an iBook G3 running Panther. Mozilla doesn't offer Firefox 3 for Panther and will stop supporting Firefox 2 later this year (in December, IIRC). Am I going to have to install Tiger on his iBook for security's sake? Then again, he doesn't do any online banking or the like; the only passwords he uses are for e-mail accounts. So maybe he'll be fine with unsupported browsers.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hello,

first timer on this forum! I've been following this site for a couple of months now and i love it!

Ok,

My gf and I owns a MacBook Pro 17'' bought in may 08. We have issues with the Airport regarding that it from times to times start scanning the network causing the speed of the browsing to slow down. It is really an annoying issus.

I've looked alot on the internet on other sites and some ppl seems to have the same problem...

We've tried every possible solutions found on the internet ( updating router, changing the channel of our router ... )

Any of you trying the new release can tell me if Apple corrected this?

Thanks for the informations.

Great board :)
I'll be nice:p
It would have been more appropriate to post this in the Mac Peripherals forum. Safari is a web browser, it has nothing to do with the speed of your router. So go start a thread in the Peripherals forum, and the chances of getting help will be much higher.

Welcome to MacRumors!

Don

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Ah, crap. My elderly father has an iBook G3 running Panther. Mozilla doesn't offer Firefox 3 for Panther and will stop supporting Firefox 2 later this year (in December, IIRC). Am I going to have to install Tiger on his iBook for security's sake? Then again, he doesn't do any online banking or the like; the only passwords he uses are for e-mail accounts. So maybe he'll be fine with unsupported browsers.
I would recommend installing Tiger on the iBook (I'm running it on mine) and I find that it is faster then panther. I would recommend maxing out the RAM if you can afford it ($40 for a 512 stick), and disabling Dashboard (can be done through a terminal command).

Don

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Oh, looks like Safari 4 won't be released for Tiger... that's a shame. :rolleyes:
I find that legacy Mac OS versions lose support for new applications much more quickly than Windows. XP is still supported by almost every new Windows program.

Still, I'm not defending Windows. I do love Tiger's now retro look, though. :p

Edit: Oops, I think the preview is available for Tiger. It's just not mentioned here.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Oh, looks like Safari 4 won't be released for Tiger... that's a shame. :rolleyes:
I find that legacy Mac OS versions lose support for new applications much more quickly than Windows. XP is still supported by almost every new Windows program.

Still, I'm not defending Windows. I do love Tiger's now retro look, though. :p

Safari 4 build 40A8 for Tiger.;)

Testify

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
I'll be nice:p
It would have been more appropriate to post this in the Mac Peripherals forum. Safari is a web browser, it has nothing to do with the speed of your router. So go start a thread in the Peripherals forum, and the chances of getting help will be much higher.

Welcome to MacRumors!

Don

Oh my bad, I thought this thread was regarding the new seed of Mac OSX too!

And maybe I badly expressed myself ( english isn't my 1st language ) but the problem is in the OS itself not in the router.. the airport doesn't stop from scanning from time to time. Alot of ppl have that problem in the apple support forum. This bug was introduced in the lastest version of OSX.

Anyway.. thanks for being nice on me :) I'll search somewhere else.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Part of what I like about iCal is its simplicity.

Adding more basic functions doesn't require an increase in complexity at all! For instance, ical can't move more than one even at the same time. All that would need to be added to have that functionality is that when you hold down shift to select multiple events then all your commands apply to all the selected events. So if I have shift-clicked several events to select them, when I drag any of the selected items later by an hour then they all move later by an hour. This would add zero complexity to using the program as you currently do because it adds nothing to the interface if you aren't trying to use this function.

The Tall One

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Crucial

"storage of data either locally or just for the user's session"

Is that crucial for a functioning web browser?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I've now removed the New Safari 4 and reinstalled the previous version. Straight away its smoother and doesnt lag. I can actually scroll too without a crash!

Amazing

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
It's a preview version. Your supposed to be trying to make it crash (and reporting bugs) so that Apple can fix them. Don't expect to use it as your primary browser.

yep, and please make it crash as often as you can so apple will fix whatever is making these crashes happen!! not that they'll fix everything before releasing it into the wild . . .

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
Hooray for Safari 4.0 on Tiger and Leopard!

It looks like Apple might separate Safari development from the OS, similar to iTunes. If so, this would be a very positive development. :D

I recently switched to Firefox and have encouraged others to do the same because browsers supplied with the OS have traditionally only seen major improvements with major OS releases, which does not fit our development model.

terryzx

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Cincinnati
Safari Crashes

About time that did something with Safari

For the last month it has been crashing constantly, especially when on php based sites. This NEVER happens with FF:mad:

kerryn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Hah! Yeah right!

I don't know what problem you're having with the program, but ical is the single most neglected major application in Apple's software lineup. So whatever issue you're having with it, I wouldn't pin my hopes on it getting fixed by an update. Personally I don't recall ever encountering bugs in ical, but I can tell you that ever since ical first came out I've been waiting for ical to get some absolutely basic functions added, such as being able to move more than one event at a time. Such a basic simple function! Yet ical doesn't have it!

Still better than XP. That doesn't even come with a calendar! Can't comment about Vista, I dumped windows and when to Leopard :) Still, who uses iCal? I use Google Calendar now....

pizzach

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
Canada
- Apple hasn't even implemented them into Safari, they've been added by default because Safari uses WebKit, which is independent of Apple.
I have a hard time believing that WebKit is totally independent of Apple. They after all are the ones who started it, changed it enough to make backporting new features to khtml non-trivial and eventually kill the parent project khtml. (The khtml people gave up on the khtml branch and switch to the webkit one.)

These features are not proprietary and are openly available to all web browsers. They will make it into Firefox, Opera, and even Internet Explorer.

I don't think you know what proprietary is. Many W3C standards started as proprietary. Usually proprietary is thought of as an extensi

on to web technology only one web browser supports and/or W3C has nothing written about either.

What's nice about proprietary CSS extensions nowadays is that webkit prefixes them with "-webkit", and moz prefixes them with "-moz". Another words, they are declaring that what hey have made is currently proprietary and should only be used at your own risk.

Proprietary extensions are a good way to show demonstrations of technology, allowing the W3C to think about what would be a good standard and how the implementation should be modified.

Being open source has little to do with weather the web browser's feature is proprietary or not. For example, Mozilla's "-moz-opacity" is a proprietary extension to css.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Oh my bad, I thought this thread was regarding the new seed of Mac OSX too!

And maybe I badly expressed myself ( english isn't my 1st language ) but the problem is in the OS itself not in the router.. the airport doesn't stop from scanning from time to time. Alot of ppl have that problem in the apple support forum. This bug was introduced in the lastest version of OSX.

Anyway.. thanks for being nice on me :) I'll search somewhere else.

The title of this thread includes the new seed of 10.5.5.

BUT, in response to your original question, anyone who knows anything about the OS update probably cannot talk about it without violating their NDA. So you are probably not going to get an answer at this time.

Testify

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
The title of this thread includes the new seed of 10.5.5.

BUT, in response to your original question, anyone who knows anything about the OS update probably cannot talk about it without violating their NDA. So you are probably not going to get an answer at this time.

Ok, thanks! :)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Hello,

first timer on this forum! I've been following this site for a couple of months now and i love it!

Ok,

My gf and I owns a MacBook Pro 17'' bought in may 08. We have issues with the Airport regarding that it from times to times start scanning the network causing the speed of the browsing to slow down. It is really an annoying issus.

I've looked alot on the internet on other sites and some ppl seems to have the same problem...

We've tried every possible solutions found on the internet ( updating router, changing the channel of our router ... )

Any of you trying the new release can tell me if Apple corrected this?

Thanks for the informations.

Great board :)

It's not the "scanning" that is the problem, scanning is what a wireless receiver is supposed to do. It is more the instability of the whole setup, probably due to the drivers, which leads to dropped connections and an inability to get along with certain hardware combinations.

From what I am reading on forums where others have played with 10.5.5, Apple seems finally to have taken steps to address this problem. Some very positive noises, there. We shall see.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
"storage of data either locally or just for the user's session"

Is that crucial for a functioning web browser?

Yep, if that web browser is supporting HTML5 standard where a web application can store data locally such as Google Gears does.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Kind of sucks how this build is less stable than the original Safari 4 DP1 build. Perhaps turning off QuartzGL support for Safari will help (I have it enabled system-wide, but one can add a 'Disable For This App' flag to the info.plist of any app). However, Safari uses more text than any other app, so it would be nice if it worked with QuartzGL. Sad to see that Apple just gave up on QuartzGL--it could have been cool.

One reason QGL *isn't* on system-wide is that it slows Safari down ;)

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I like how it's scoring a 98% on the Acid3 test. Only the second-to-last box is failing to render the proper color.

The first run got 3 "pass-but-slow" notifications.
Subsequent runs got only 1 "pass-but-slow" notification.

Almost there... keep it up!
WebKit already gets 100/100 and passes the Acid3 test. I hope Safari will too once Safari 4 is released.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
The Safari DP2 build passes the Acid3 test on my machine--100/100 on the first try. The older DP1 build got a 98/100.

"Are you hearing me like I'm hearing you...I can't explain where I've been, but now I think I see the light...now I'm home and I'm free, did I pass the acid test?"
(The Chemical Brothers)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.