Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
In my opinion leopard is looking more and more like just more eye candy....sure it has alot of great new "features" and apps. but for the most part its alot of eye candy. not alot of new software. thats just my opinion. it still looks great and all. im still going to buy it.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
where did that info (rumor) first originate from then? Was it in an earlier build?

There is a thread around, where some guy posted screenshots of Tiger claiming that they were Leopard, he happened to include a custom icon set in the screenshots.

Someone point me towards that thread?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 205

CaptainScarlet

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
CheeseLand
The extra big and shinny new icons come into play with the GRID or FAN views from folders which are on the dock. Along with the COVER FLOW for finder windows....

And as far as changing the color of the folder to brown, I see no setting to do that............

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Those saying it's overkill to have icons larger than 128x128... I suppose I agree on the actual icon side of things, but Mac OS currently doesn't have a dedicated thumbnails view mode, and right now I only ever use icon mode in Tiger as a thumbnail view at 128x128... I can definitely see myself using icon view in a larger size in Leopard, just to see image previews better.

That's a good point - for applications that use icon previews, this'll help a lot.

mmzplanet

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Florida
The larger icon size must be for Cover Flow in the finder. For example if someone were to enter the Applications folder while still in cover flow view.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
The larger icon size is for future high-dpi displays (which is the reason for resolution independence).

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
I have to nitpick about the boring blue folders too, I think everything else about the OS is great, but those blue folders are just so generic and not so pleasant to look at, as if they're merely placeholders. If those were the folders we had now, and Leopard made them look like the translucent blue and white folders we've always had, it'd certainly be considered an upgrade as far as eye candy.

seashellz2

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
My God! A work of art!
I especailly love the new folders icons-they look so much better than those drab shiny globs of-well-just globs
No later than Halloween shall I own a 20-inch iMac, when it comes bundled with 10.5 and any bugs get worked out..

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Can someone explain to me why we need higher resolution icons? They're ridiculously big is at is already.

P-Worm

Coverflow on large screens is going to show GIGANTIC images.

EDIT: I hate the new folder icons; not because I hate change or anything, but the logos on them are too near the colors of what they sit on. It's easy to distinguish between Applications and Documents and Movies on the current view because Application's A is red, Documents is white, Movies is black, etc; now they're all medium-blue-on-light-blue.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Is it just me, or does all this, UI updating seem to be more hassle than it's worth? I am quite happy with Tigers UI, I'll admit it is getting a bit outdated, but still, they could've just updated the folders and some icons and I'd be happy...

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
Coverflow on large screens is going to show GIGANTIC images.

EDIT: I hate the new folder icons; not because I hate change or anything, but the logos on them are too near the colors of what they sit on. It's easy to distinguish between Applications and Documents and Movies on the current view because Application's A is red, Documents is white, Movies is black, etc; now they're all medium-blue-on-light-blue.

I totally agree. There is not enough contrast, nor specific color distinctions. Just another backward consession that I feel Apple is making in 2007. See also no magnetic apple remote for imac, only glossy screens on imac, the required use of FN key for DESKTOP keyboards, clear menubar, etc.....

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't care what they do with the angle and texture of folder icons. But PLEASE don't lose the useful color cues!

I can tell Public from Applications from Library from anything else at a glance in Tiger. Monochrome folders with half-faded subtle icons lose that benefit. At least use colors for those icons and make them less faded!

(I kind of like that tan though, if real.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.