Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), iLife '07, and iWork '07 in March?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ThinkSecret reports that Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) development is "wrapping up faster than many at Apple even anticipated" and that the newest version of Mac OS X could be expected as soon as the end of March.

The rumor site also expects that Apple will launch the new versions of iLife '07 and iWork '07 alongside Leopard. They claim that both iLife and iWork were delayed due to the addition of some Leopard-specific features to the productivity suites.

Apple last stated that Leopard would still ship in spring and implied that the iLife suite would be updated soon.

2. macrumors regular

cool, here hoping

3. macrumors 6502a

paddy

Ooh thats great 'cos Im hoping to get a new mac around then, yay!

4. macrumors member

I hope so, I need my new mac.

5. macrumors 68040

Telp

I sure hope it comes out atleast then, they can take there time so unlike VISTA it wont be released prematurely (i dont know if that works for VISTA seeing as it had 5 years) but Apple knows what there doing so i just hope it comes out around then, I'm really impatient. :apple: :apple: :apple:

6. macrumors 6502a

Hls811

March 6th - New Guns N' Roses CD (Yes I'm a believer!)
    March 12th - MLB 2K7 for the Xbox 360
    End of March - OS X 10.5 and iLife

March may be my new favorite month.

7. macrumors 6502

donlphi

Yeah... but my software probably won't work with it until June, so there's to hoping.

Software that probably will not work instantaneously when 10.5 is installed:

Finale
    Band In A Box
    CUBASE
    Pro Tools
    Quark Express
    etc. etc.

I'm sure new iLife will be nicer though...

8. macrumors member

SWEET! ...but I my impatient arse can't wait that long :(

9. macrumors 68040

Telp

Dont forget March 23-Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie and
    March 20- Modest Mouse CD

10. macrumors 6502

I love vista and i cant wait to have them both running on my macbook pro.

11. macrumors regular

Yay!! New computer with Leopard, iLife, and iWork 07!

12. L3X
    macrumors 6502a

...this i pray

13. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I want to love vista, simply for it's looks. But I'm gonna have to give it time for the bugs to be worked out, just like Leopard.

14. macrumors 68000

dsnort

Does anyone know if Thinksecret has been right about anything lately?

15. macrumors regular

Hmm, wonder if they pulled a Microsoft and decided to pull some things out. Like those 5 very cool things that they were keeping hidden. So, I guess we'll see those in 10.6 and they will probably just say turn you copy of vista in and we'll give you a free copy of leopard to run on your 2007 intel pc.

16. macrumors 68040

Telp

youll still have to pay for iWork 07

17. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

A few weeks to get the final version of Leopard out to all the developers to test and then to press the DVD's, start the marketing hype, etc.

Isn't March a bit too soon?

18. macrumors 603

Stella

Apple have time to QA test and iron out bugs. OSX 10.3 and 10.4 ( and all other software ) were fairly buggy on their release - bugs that were glearingly obvious.

Don't rush Apple - it'll cost you more in the long run.

"The rumor site also expects that Apple will launch the new versions of iLife '07 and iWork '07 alongside Leopard. They claim that both iLife and iWork were delayed due to the addition of some Leopard-specific features to the productivity suites."

Unfortunately this is done to encourage people to upgrade. Apple tend not to make their software backwards compatible.

19. macrumors 6502a

YAY!

But TS is just rehashing what we've already been speculating...

-=|Mgkwho

20. macrumors 68040

Telp

Still tho when is 10.4.9 comin out? Its not a big deal (prolly) but jw.

21. macrumors 65816

patseguin

I couldn't be less excited about Leopard at this point. What about the "top secret features"? I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade for $130 at this point.

22. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

please release ilife and iwork sooner than that. i won't upgrade to leopard before 10.5.3 anyway. so i will be using iwork with tiger for the next time anyway.

23. Toe
    macrumors 65816

Toe

I would pay $130 just for Time Machine.

And I'd give one or two body parts for the new Mail and iCal.

I'd also like to have an OS that was built for an Intel processor (Tiger was developed for PPC, then ported to Intel).

P.S. And compare the $130 for all the new cool stuff in Leopard vs. the $200-400 for the lame-excuse-for-an-upgrade called Vista.

24. macrumors 6502a

Woo Hoo

While I look forward to the Leopard update. I look forward much more to see the updated iWork/iLife that uses leopard technology. Obviously they will have time machine built in. I wonder what other features though, animation effects etc.

I also still expect some unseen changes to finder. I don't mind the interface now it could just use some polishing.

25. macrumors 68040

Telp

They can't release iLife or iWork before leopard because they are going to be for leopard and to release them before Leopard gives away the new UI or whatever it is they are doing. Leopard is going to be a significant upgrade, on the level beyond the apps. It's obviously big enough for them to call it a hole new operating system.