Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Software Update and Drivers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

MacNN notes that of the two remaining "issues" listed in the latest Mac OS X Leopard seed (9A559), one was simply a test case for a new feature.

Mac OS X Leopard 9A559 was released to developers last week and listed two "known issues".

The first was an issue with "Archive installs" from Tiger to Leopard on PowerPC machines, and appears to be a true outstanding issue. The second issue, however, asked users to deselect HP printers and allow Leopard to update the HP drivers post-install via Software Update.

MacNN spoke with HP and found that this is actually a feature that Apple was testing rather than any particular bug.
    It seems that future Mac OS X printer driver updates may simply become available through Apple's Mac OS X software update mechanism. A more extensive version of this technology had been previously rumored with the idea that Apple would open up their Software Update to major 3rd party applications to allow them to push updates to users.

Apple's Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is scheduled for release in October.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68040

Naimfan

So Leopard might be closer than we think?

3. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

C'mon, Steve. Gold master, gold master, gold master. Make an announcement soon!

4. macrumors regular

I bet that October 19th is the release date. Sounds like it's almost ready. Not to mention that getting a program from gold status to the shelves is quite quick these days.

5. macrumors regular

La Porta

3rd party update would be awesome. With the usual disclaimer, i'm sure, but it would be great! No more hunting for updates.

6. macrumors member

sounds very close :)

7. macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

I really like the idea of my 3rd party apps being all updated through software update. really streamline the updating process just have it look for new updates each night instead of having to wait for the update when you maybe need to use an app for just a few minutes

8. macrumors regular

I can't wait to go and buy it!!!! I just hope it's not like the last day of October.

9. macrumors 68000

RichP

Or the 26th at the latest. Not all that far away!

10. macrumors 6502

I also think this would be genius, instead of every random app telling you when it pleases so.

11. macrumors 65816

lord patton

having spent more time than I would like getting the HP laserjet 1020 to work with a MacBook, I say anything that helps HP get their act together is aok.

12. macrumors 68020

Why are we kidding ourselves? It's going to come out second to last day of the month (30 october) just like iPhone. ;)

I just hope they can kink out the PowerPC problem. I definitely don't want all my data erased on all my PPC macs! :eek:

13. macrumors regular

So I guess it'll be similar to most Linux distros in that nearly all programs will work with software update. This works quite well in Ubuntu and Apple Software Update is already quick, seamless and easy to use to update their first party apps. Hopefully someday Microsoft can fix it's update system to install 3 MB of updates in under 2 minutes. At least Windows Vista's Microsoft Update is a huge improvement over XP's. But that's off topic as I was talking about Apple Software Update.

3rd-party apps being updated in software update is a great idea.

14. macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

I don't like the Archive and Install issue with the PPC Macs.

That seems to me to be a huge warning sign.

Could give 2 ***** about some HP printer drivers....

15. macrumors 68020

Krevnik

Just because it isn't in the known issues list doesn't mean potentially big and frustrating issues don't exist.

16. macrumors 6502

BKKbill

Seems like I will be getting a nice shiny iMac soon. :)

17. macrumors 6502a

yeah.... i'm going to need you go ahead and come in on Sunday to fix the archive and install for PPC. yeah that'd be great.

18. macrumors member

9a559 has been extremely stable. I'm actually using it as my main OS and found it gold master-worthy. Especially now that the HP Printer thing isn't a bug at all.

19. macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Would you like a TPS report attached to that? :D

20. macrumors 68040

mduser63

Me too. FWIW, the next version of Sparkle is supposed to include a mechanism for centralized updates of all installed Sparkle-enabled apps. A very large number of shareware Mac apps (including mine) use Sparkle. Not quite as good as having everything in Software Update, but close.

They (obviously) need to kill the bug with archive and install on PPC machines. I'm likely to use that option on my PowerBook, while my iMac will see an upgrade install. I plan to do a clean install on my MacBook since it has hardly anything in the way of user data and installed apps anyway. The MacBook will probably also be the first machine to get Leopard.

21. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

'bout time.

I'd like to see how a third party handles pushing drivers. Hopefully they'll do a better job of optimizing and providing more recent ones.

22. macrumors 65816

From what I have heard it sounds like it would take about 3 weeks once Leopard went Gold this means that the earliest likely date is the week of the 22 or the week of the 29th. I am gonna guess it will be October 30th. Hopefully there will be an announcement next week saying it is ready and giving a release date.

23. macrumors 6502a

WHERE ARE THE TOP SECRET FEATURES??

-=|Mgkwho

24. macrumors regular

To the Gold!

And after that, ZFS, true Res. independence, and Core Animation-driven OS!

25. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

You must have missed the announcement.
    Every box comes with .001% of Steve's reality distortion field. Now you too can feel the warm glow of Steve's RDF in person.