Mac OS X 10.5 Mock Ups

Discussion in 'macOS' started by corywoolf, May 15, 2006.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I will try to do a more comprehensive image of what I think Leopard should look like when I have a bit more time. I am thinking they might include Windows support (built in). No more dual booting, and no sacrifice of speed. Maybe they will call it Rosetta 2.0 w/ Native Windows Apps support. Just a thought. Now fire up Shotohop (Edit: I like the typo, so it's staying) and start chopping up some screenshots already! :)

Attached Files:

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Ugh... That idea makes me cringe.

But, if Apple were to do something like that, I know they would have a cleaver solution similar to yours.

3. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I think Steve would die before a windows menu was next to the Apple menu the dock icon is pushing it

4. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

Didn't someone post something like this? I think it was Fast OS Switching. Oh well... I think it's a good idea, but I agree with Spock about the Windows logo. Why not put it somewhere more discrete?

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

You think this or you read it? :rolleyes:

6. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Well I read that they would "probably" include some sort of "Boot Camp" bundled, but I didn't read that they were including the ability to run windows apps natively in OS X Leopard! If that's the case awesome, good news. Where did you read this? :p

Because if they hide it, it would make it more difficult for the target audience (switchers) to find it.

7. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

Bit off-topic, but, you have the same wallpaper as me.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Boot Camp should be come a a system that does the same thign as fast user swithing. It would rotate the screen to a new screen which would be Windows

9. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

That would be cool, but if they can just make the windows apps (.exe) work natively in OS X, then that will just as good.

10. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

No that would be a bad thing, as soon as they do that boom now macs have all the viruses that PCs have. (There goes Apple's new ads out the window)

11. PBG4 macrumors member

no! that would mean HELLO VIRUS TO MAC

12. savar macrumors 68000

savar

When I clicked on the link, I half expected to see "Democrat622" to pop up.

What's that screenshot supposed to be? Why is it so tall, will OS X 10.5 only support extra tall monitors? Why is the dock right-aligned? What is the need for the Windows icon in the dock? So many questions...

13. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

No way in heck are you going to see a windows icon that close to a mac icon in leopard.

14. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

... by implementing a sort of safesleep function. Hit a hot key> saves contents of RAM to disk> cubes over> bam, winblows. Hit the same key combo> the whole process goes in reverse.
    My plan, anyway. :rolleyes:

15. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

Honestly,

this is not a bad idea, you know how I would like windows to run on mac? You know the little button on the side of your mouse that allows you to view all windows open (mini preview) so you can find what your looking for with ease? I would like to see the other side of the mouse allow you to switch from windows and mac without disconnecting and having both running at the same time. <- thats a great idea... ;)

As for the "no that would mean hello virus for mac" I don't think so, if apple plays there cards right they could set it up secure. Win HD would not be able to see Mac HD so windows viruses won't wipe your mac hd out.

Currently thats how it's setup for windows on bootcamp. You can't see your Mac HD from windows. I would like to have a secure connection tho so you can transfer files back and forth via windows and mac as right now it becomes a pain when I need something from mac and I have windows loaded playing a game.

16. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

You know, I think that's illegal, to have an Apple Logo and Windows Logo side by side. I wanna throw up seeing that lol.

17. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Is that a gag? I'm slow if so.... it just looks like a cropped screenshot to me so it only shows the bits of interest i.e. windows logos.

18. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I cropped it because I didn't have time to do everything I wanted to, and because I had like a ton of torrents on my desktop. The Windows icon in the dock is to show it is always running like the finder is. Ideally the windows icon in the menu bar would drop down and show the start menu. More to come soon.

19. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Interestingly, you can already do this on PCs. It's not as simple as a hotkey, but you can hibernate Windows, reboot into Linux, and then return to Windows when you're done.

This is without virtualization, which will make the whole process faster (and avoid the need for reboots if it's properly executed). Unfortunately, the hardware and the software just aren't up to the task yet. The best capabilities of virtualization hardware will allow one OS to run within another OS, which is not quite side by side...but it's getting there.

Getting your idea to work will require Apple and Microsoft to cooperate and develop a mutually interchangeable system, but it's infinitely more likely than built-in Windows binary support, which Microsoft would never in a million years allow.

20. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Not necessarily, depends on how the virus functions, if it has to have specific lications (C:\) of course it won't work, it can't push itself to start up, the registry would be gone, even with an integration, i think Apple would redesign the PC's registry system. So not necessarily

21. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

nah, man...
    if you really wanna run exes that bad, get a peecee and put a Mac skin on it.

Having 2 OSs running at the same time would be a massive RAM hog. I doubt it will happen.

As for my 10.5 wishlist, I want apple to continue being better than the competition, like it has been for many years.

22. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I would like to see some more visual effects and 3D effects, like vista but much much better and not with crazy requirements on the video card.

23. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Well unfortunately it's one or the other. More effects = more video card muscle.

24. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Apple has OpenGL... they will find a way (or atleast a better one then MS did)

25. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

No, they won't find a way that spontaneously requires less advanced hardware. Apple is not in the magic business, and OpenGL has some serious limitations compared to Direct3D (which is why Apple is fortunate to have developed robust Core technologies). The graphics technology required for Tiger is similar to the hardware required for Vista, so Apple products are already at that spec. The only reason the Vista matter is blown out of proportion is because this is the first time Windows actually takes advantage of any graphics hardware, something OS X has been doing for years.

If you want more plentiful and more sophisticated effects, you need a strong GPU to do it. Vista's requirements aren't any higher than OS X, except that they advise 128MB for most high-resolution displays (and it wouldn't hurt Apple to do the same).