Mac OS X 10.5, QuickDraw, Classic

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wrldwzrd89, Mar 21, 2005.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I saw in a WWDC 2004 video on Apple's site that Apple will deprecate (discourage use of) QuickDraw in Mac OS X 10.4. Presumably, this means support for it will be removed altogether in Mac OS X 10.5. Assuming that to be the case, and assuming that Classic support depends on QuickDraw support, will that mean the end of Classic?

I think this is the link to the correct video.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

These is no reason the believe that Classic depends on QuickDraw. Classic boots it's own complete copy of OS9 so Classic apps will still have access to QuickDraw. The Classic application itself is a native OSX app so may well provide the drawing canvas that OS9 is using to draw using Quarts (i.e. OS9 booted under classic draws to some sort of virtualised graphics driver that is rendered into OSX using Quartz).

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Classic will have to be modified (if it hasn't been already) to redirect QuickDraw calls to the Mac OS X Quartz layer, in that case. I'm not sure how easy this will be to do...I suppose only Apple knows.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, it won't. As robbieduncan said, the QuickDraw support for Classic is within Classic. In particular, it lies within the MacOS 9 ROM file. Classic uses the MacOS X Finder, but very little else from the Unix-based OS. In particular, Classic does not tunnel graphics calls to Quartz. What Apple is discouraging is the use of QuickDraw in Carbon. This bit of last year's news has nothing to do with Classic.

5. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks for the info, MisterMe and robbieduncan. I guess that means something else will have to change to force Classic's death.

6. Dr. No macrumors regular

Sort of off-topic, but good news. A new employee has been hired (Josh Aas) to make Firefox more "Mac-like" and improve its OS X support.
    He is going to try to make the Gecko engine use Quartz instead of QuickDraw.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/josh/

GREAT news for Firefox users!

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Can anyone tell me what QuickDraw is? From what I gathered it's basically a OS 9-era ancestor to Quartz? Why is it used/needed in OS X? And why is Apple discouraging the use of QuickDraw?

8. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

QuickDraw is the Mac OS 9 native graphics library, much like Quartz is the native library in Mac OS X. The primary reasons QuickDraw is in Mac OS X are for backward compatibility and that it's faster than Quartz for some things in Panther. Apple is discouraging its use in Tiger because Quartz will be superior in all areas to QuickDraw.