Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I saw in a WWDC 2004 video on Apple's site that Apple will deprecate (discourage use of) QuickDraw in Mac OS X 10.4. Presumably, this means support for it will be removed altogether in Mac OS X 10.5. Assuming that to be the case, and assuming that Classic support depends on QuickDraw support, will that mean the end of Classic?

I think this is the link to the correct video.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
wrldwzrd89 said:
I saw in a WWDC 2004 video on Apple's site that Apple will deprecate (discourage use of) QuickDraw in Mac OS X 10.4. Presumably, this means support for it will be removed altogether in Mac OS X 10.5. Assuming that to be the case, and assuming that Classic support depends on QuickDraw support, will that mean the end of Classic?

I think this is the link to the correct video.

These is no reason the believe that Classic depends on QuickDraw. Classic boots it's own complete copy of OS9 so Classic apps will still have access to QuickDraw. The Classic application itself is a native OSX app so may well provide the drawing canvas that OS9 is using to draw using Quarts (i.e. OS9 booted under classic draws to some sort of virtualised graphics driver that is rendered into OSX using Quartz).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
robbieduncan said:
These is no reason the believe that Classic depends on QuickDraw. Classic boots it's own complete copy of OS9 so Classic apps will still have access to QuickDraw. The Classic application itself is a native OSX app so may well provide the drawing canvas that OS9 is using to draw using Quarts (i.e. OS9 booted under classic draws to some sort of virtualised graphics driver that is rendered into OSX using Quartz).
Classic will have to be modified (if it hasn't been already) to redirect QuickDraw calls to the Mac OS X Quartz layer, in that case. I'm not sure how easy this will be to do...I suppose only Apple knows.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
wrldwzrd89 said:
Classic will have to be modified (if it hasn't been already) to redirect QuickDraw calls to the Mac OS X Quartz layer, in that case. I'm not sure how easy this will be to do...I suppose only Apple knows.
No, it won't. As robbieduncan said, the QuickDraw support for Classic is within Classic. In particular, it lies within the MacOS 9 ROM file. Classic uses the MacOS X Finder, but very little else from the Unix-based OS. In particular, Classic does not tunnel graphics calls to Quartz. What Apple is discouraging is the use of QuickDraw in Carbon. This bit of last year's news has nothing to do with Classic.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
MisterMe said:
No, it won't. As robbieduncan said, the QuickDraw support for Classic is within Classic. In particular, it lies within the MacOS 9 ROM file. Classic uses the MacOS X Finder, but very little else from the Unix-based OS. In particular, Classic does not tunnel graphics calls to Quartz. What Apple is discouraging is the use of QuickDraw in Carbon. This bit of last year's news has nothing to do with Classic.
Thanks for the info, MisterMe and robbieduncan. I guess that means something else will have to change to force Classic's death.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2003
Sort of off-topic, but good news. A new employee has been hired (Josh Aas) to make Firefox more "Mac-like" and improve its OS X support.
He is going to try to make the Gecko engine use Quartz instead of QuickDraw.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/josh/

GREAT news for Firefox users!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Can anyone tell me what QuickDraw is? From what I gathered it's basically a OS 9-era ancestor to Quartz? Why is it used/needed in OS X? And why is Apple discouraging the use of QuickDraw?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Raven VII said:
Can anyone tell me what QuickDraw is? From what I gathered it's basically a OS 9-era ancestor to Quartz? Why is it used/needed in OS X? And why is Apple discouraging the use of QuickDraw?
QuickDraw is the Mac OS 9 native graphics library, much like Quartz is the native library in Mac OS X. The primary reasons QuickDraw is in Mac OS X are for backward compatibility and that it's faster than Quartz for some things in Panther. Apple is discouraging its use in Tiger because Quartz will be superior in all areas to QuickDraw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.