Mac OS X 10.6.8 Release Imminent?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 21, 2011.

  1. macrumors bot

    MacRumors

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2001
    #1
    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    Apple has just posted a new support document noting that updating to Mac OS X 10.6.8 is "strongly recommended" for users running any of the new Final Cut Pro X applications released earlier today.
    Mac OS X 10.6.8 is of course not yet publicly available, although it has been in developer testing for some time, with Apple appearing to be winding down development as evidenced by a pair of developer seeds released just a few days apart last week.

    While Mac OS X 10.6.8 isn't technically a requirement for Final Cut Pro X and users are successfully running it today under Mac OS X 10.6.7, the strength of Apple's wording in the support document suggests that the software update should be making an appearance very soon to get users of the company's professional-level video production software on firm footing.

    Article Link: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Release Imminent?
     
  2. macrumors 601

    Schtumple

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    Location:
    benkadams.com
    #2
    If it's strongly recommended to have 10.6.8 why bother releasing the FCP etc so soon? Why not wait till the OS update has been pushed out first...

    Seems a bit sloppy to be honest.
     
  3. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2011
    #3
    10.6.8 really beachballs a lot with my SATAIII SSD.
     
  4. macrumors 65816

    awer25

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    #4
    If I update and it causes beachballs, is there an easy way to roll back to 10.6.7?

    I'm assuming Time Machine, but I wouldn't want to restore all 1TB of data if possible.
     
  5. macrumors member

    KaneBaker

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2009
    #5
    Right no in 10.6.7 Compressor beach balls on me without doing anything.
    This is a bit sloppy.
     
  6. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    Location:
    Hawaii
  7. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #7
    uh so we can buy but cant use it right now ---perfect!
    but we may try to use it later on, but the our old systems may not work again ---great!

    It doesnt matter by the way if we spent a thousand bucks on fcp, its a new app, so we all have to pay the same while the old app isnt supported any more and tutorial videos have been removed - great, ill trust this company!
     
  8. macrumors G3

    roadbloc

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2009
    Location:
    UK
  9. macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #9
    ???

     
  10. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #10
    What you mean beachballs?

    And you know if Apple's SSD for 2011 MacBook Pro is SATAIII?
     
  11. macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #11
    Freezes/hangs

    No its SATAII
     
  12. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #12
    Ohhh. Thanks.
     
  13. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Location:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    #13
    Hopefully MacBook Air graphics performance is fixed since the 10.6.7 combo update crippled it. I had to restore to 10.6.5 then incrementally update to 10.6.6, 10.6.7 and 10.6.7 supplemental.
     
  14. macrumors 6502a

    Lucky736

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2004
    Location:
    TX or MI
    #14
    Haven't had that issue at all with my SSD in either machine. Odd.
     
  15. macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Location:
    Aussie living in Canada
    #15
    So this is the part where they leave SL in the dust.

    I love SL. I'll be waiting a while until Lion is tested and had a few point releases before forging ahead.
     
  16. macrumors 6502a

    igazza

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    Location:
    earth
    #16
    450mb roughly.
     
  17. macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #17
    Yes 10.6.8 is very likely to be the last update to Snow Leopard with a version number. However, we will see security updates throughout the life of Lion probably. Just like Leopard is still seeing security updates.

    A 10.6.9 is possible, but that would be an exception that I think has only happened once.
     
  18. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2011
    #18
    When will the 10.7 release be imminent? Supposedly I have to wait for that one, just so I can buy the newest Macbook Air.
     
  19. macrumors 6502a

    mattwolfmatt

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    #19
    July.
     
  20. macrumors 6502a

    Stuipdboy1000

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Perth, Scotland, UK
  21. macrumors 6502a

    franswa za

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    Location:
    south africa
    #21
    uuuhhhhmmmmmm,

    do we need this? (of course we do!) we want it so BADLY................

    if ever any of you have been even CLOSE to an african smelly breath cat...

    hahaaa, i invite THE apple board........ be my guest

    looking forward to os x lion........ halitoses, ticks et al

    x

    f

    :cool:
     
  22. macrumors regular

    interconnect

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #22
    No it's not; still there.
     
  23. macrumors 6502a

    Stuipdboy1000

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Perth, Scotland, UK
    #23
    My bad. I got a 404 for a while. It was reported missing on Twitter too. Must just have been temporary.
     
  24. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2008
    #24
    I think Tiger made it all the way up to 10.4.11.
     
  25. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2007
    #25

    Umm, no, it's been removed.

     

Share This Page