Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Quick question:

If there was any 1 design feature or capability you'd like in Snow Leopard, what would it be?

(e.g. ZFS for both versions; seriously multitouch enabled; all main apps concurrency optimised etc)
Gosh, that's a tough call. I'd have to say "make the new Finder use Grand Central". That will surely help its overall speed and responsiveness - I've had plenty of times when the Finder got hung up on a task and wouldn't do anything else. I'm hoping that a Cocoa Grand Central-powered Finder will banish this issue for good.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Better Xcode; that means: smarter autocomplete (with Eclipse-style inline documentation comments please!), faster compiles, better error and warning messages, faster indexing, more refactoring capabilities, faster/less laggy project-wide search (see http://openradar.appspot.com/radar?id=72), better debugger, etc...

Theoretically, clang + Xcode promises all of these except the last two and part of the first. We'll see :)

wrldwzrd89: it sounds like what you're actually asking for is for the Finder to not block the UI in certain situations that it currently does. I don't see why the details of how that's accomplished matter all that much. Grand Central might be helpful for some parts of that, but NSOperationQueue (available in Leopard) would probably do almost as well.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Better Xcode; that means: smarter autocomplete (with Eclipse-style inline documentation comments please!), faster compiles, better error and warning messages, faster indexing, more refactoring capabilities, faster/less laggy project-wide search (see http://openradar.appspot.com/radar?id=72), better debugger, etc...

Theoretically, clang + Xcode promises all of these except the last two and part of the first. We'll see :)

wrldwzrd89: it sounds like what you're actually asking for is for the Finder to not block the UI in certain situations that it currently does. I don't see why the details of how that's accomplished matter all that much. Grand Central might be helpful for some parts of that, but NSOperationQueue (available in Leopard) would probably do almost as well.
Agreed on Xcode. You're probably right regarding the Finder - I didn't think of that.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Quick question:

If there was any 1 design feature or capability you'd like in Snow Leopard, what would it be?

(e.g. ZFS for both versions; seriously multitouch enabled; all main apps concurrency optimised etc)

SLI / Crossfire enabled. With OpenCL it would be an amazing asset for any developers looking to do any mathematically intense operations such as video encoding etc.

Personally I'd like to see a better x86 and x86_64 compiler. The Intel C/C++ compiler is so far ahead of GCC in terms of performance it is not even funny. If Apple could write an Objective-C and Objective-C++ wrapper on top of the Intel compilers it would make a lot of C programmers happy. Especially as the Intel compilers actually implement the C99 standard and related technical corrigenda.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Snow Leopard - still being built and passed to developers

Seed 10A222. Seed notes have been withdrawn elsewhere due to Apple's insistence.
Working Macrumor thread here

Seed notes here at worldofapple.com got pulled on Apple's say so.
Portugese information available here, with Google translation here.

AppleInsider notes that Snow Leopard is still evolving here - i.e. they're fleshing it out, and developers are presumably seeing some more parts to Snow Leopard - e.g. Recently gaining a new Grand Central developer API according to the developer notes. Some features like Microsoft Exchange functionality with Mail, Address book and iCal is being worked on actively as hmbt.org notes above.

Their Snow Leopard feed is here - and pretty much is in this thread chronologically. AppeInsider's Road to 10.6 is Prince McLean, i.e. articles by Eran - his work is compiled at roughlydrafted.com

Separately, the macrumors page notes that they've
heard that the newest version of Snow Leopard makes Rosetta an optional installation. Rosetta is Apple's PowerPC emulator for their Intel Macs, allowing Intel Mac owners to run legacy software that has not been upgraded for the Intel platform. This news comes shortly after an announcement that IBM had purchased Transitive, the company behind Rosetta's technology. The final release of Snow Leopard is also rumored to require an Intel Mac, thereby being the first version of Mac OS X to drop PowerPC support. Apple first announced its transition from PowerPC to Intel processors in June, 2005.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
AppeInsider's Road to 10.6 is Prince McLean, i.e. articles by Eran - his work is compiled at roughlydrafted.com

I was about to bash his understanding of the stuff he writes about based on the grand central article earlier, but looking at his 64 bit series it's actually rather good. Particularly the coverage of the TLB flush issue and how it's being solved; it's tricky to explain well.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Royal Institute Lectures - Computing in tomorrows world

For those interested, the Reith Lectures start tomorrow
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/dec/05/royal-institution-lectures-computers - It might be lame, but then again it might not. Probably a good primer for those non-tech/geek savvy in your household/friend group.
Will post some p2p links if they're made available (they're on Channel 5 on terrestial UK, and will probably be hitting piratebay as and when).

Was always a winter one to watch, so thought i'd share (they've been going since 1825 when Michael Faraday was giving them!)

The guy doing them is Prof Chris Bishop:
- Chief Research scientist at Microsoft Research in Cambridge
- Professor of Computer Science at the University of Edinburgh

RI page here
Bio here
Scientific Computing article on his background, and Microsoft research here
Looking to wrap OpenCL in ~2 weeks

Absolutely no need to hate on the research Microsoft does, as they have a lot go into it - and they are involved in pushing lots of different areas forward (I'd recommend watching some of Scoble's Msft video jaunts and you'll see they do take the research seriously - it's long term stuff, not a "results, now" approach.
  • Christmas coming up
  • MWSF 2009 (Snow Leopard preview) January 5th to 9th (inc. famed iTablet, iPhone bump, & the iMoononaStick range)
    Schiller taking the last keynote at MWSF.
  • CES is January 8-11, running after MWSF for once.
    Pre-CES Keynote address is by Steve Ballmer himself, Microsoft Corp. CEO link

(Engadget being the "official blog" see here)

CES potential highlights?
- Palm's response to Nokia's Symbian OS developments, OS X for the iPhone etc. Link here

Snow Leopard Photographer wins prize
A Snow Leopard Photograph is the winner of the Viewer's Choice category in National Geographic's 2008 International Photography Contest. The photograph, "Endangered Beauty", by Stephen W. Oachs, is probably appreciated better in a high res version, so links are provided.
Oach's website here , blog here, press release here. Pretty hard to get a photo of Panthera Uncia ...

You might recognise Steve Winter's photo work on this story also for National Geographic here (who got a Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2008 award for his photo of a snow leopard). Considering there are only ~7,500 wild Snow Leopards, they're a small species population. Thought it might be worthwhile thinking a little about the 10.6's namesake, and how the publicity shots etc came to be.

OpenCL specification completed
The Khronos Group have completed the OpenCL spec (info here) and alongside this, the "Grand Central" trademark has been successfully bagged by Apple. (There are some elegant ways of dealing with concurrency Monadically potentially, and it'll be an interesting coupe de gras if Apple can pull it off (discussed more here on zdnet)).

Prince McLean article here linking nVIDIA, OpenCL, CUDA, and Apple. OpenCL in the words of Jobs: "Basically it lets you use graphics processors to do computation"

New Prince McLean article on how OpenCL could be making Apple closer to NVIDIA here

Intel proffers Parallelism (concurrency) tools
Macworld article here

Some intial developer software tools by Intel. Mac tools? "Some time next year"... For now, Windows programmers can potentially have a look at the beta Intel Parallel Composer, part of Intel Parallel Studio, which extends Visual Studio's reach (afaik -I wouldn't really call it the first software tool allowing Windows devs to adopt parallelism - looking at the msdn9 channel, there's been a lot of work to get this sort of thing through Window's own upcoming tools. From one of thelines it seems it's more about applying features to the C and C++ compiler, extending debugger etc.)
IPS available through to May, so you've got 5 months or so. Anyone wondering about Larabee's spec for Khronos Group specifications?

What: Currently still just the publicised information
What on: Still currently not defined, though seed notes make some case as to specifics
When:Currently no more information than Jobs' comments at the keynote, and the ropey slide date for early 2009
How much: No more known

Behold the GPU
More "it could be 100x faster" talk from Computerworld.com's Eric Lai's quote of Dan GPUs "are blindingly fast" Olds - an "analyst" at the Gabriel Consulting Group.

Encoding and rendering high-def video can be done between 40 to 100 times faster when apps are recompiled with OpenCL, said Olds. Health care applications such as those processing MRIs and CAT scans would see similar acceleration, he said.

Least he's being specific about the increase in speed - encoding, rendering, image data chundering. Link here
Nvidia is otuting the Ion platform info here

Oooh, it seems oh so quiet without overpaid Microsoft ads..

MWSF 2009
to be go out with a bang?
3 weeks and we'll know.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
SLI / Crossfire enabled. With OpenCL it would be an amazing asset for any developers looking to do any mathematically intense operations such as video encoding etc.

Personally I'd like to see a better x86 and x86_64 compiler. The Intel C/C++ compiler is so far ahead of GCC in terms of performance it is not even funny. If Apple could write an Objective-C and Objective-C++ wrapper on top of the Intel compilers it would make a lot of C programmers happy. Especially as the Intel compilers actually implement the C99 standard and related technical corrigenda.

Why do that? there is LLVM and is already showing promise - and given that it is a clean design from the ground up with an approach based on modern ideas, there should be no reason why it can't reach the same performance levels of Sun and intel's own compilers. At the end of the day Apple need a compiler of their own so that they are not dependent on anyone else - and so that they can give away one for free.

IMHO Apple should use this down turn to hire 100 of the best programmers (who will go to Apple for long term job stability due to the current market) and get them living, breathing and eating LLVM. Get the whole CLANG completely finished, get the .NET support also working as well. After complete, aim to get 10.7 100% compiled using LLVM + CLANG, and make it the default compiler for the future.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Looks like the Guardian (UK was-a-broadsheet-once) has finally chirped up with their Snow Leopard offering.

Nothing like a bit of Rob Enderle, is there? Least it was Chris Edwards - Jack et al can be a bit too grumpy sometimes...
Article here and a trawl-through to see if this is the first mainstream paper info on Snow Leopard when I have time. Not too many SL articles of late - it's been more rehashing, or not really pinning NVIDIA down and asking non-Snow Leopard Open CL benchmarks.

A blast from the past - So where did the Nuvifone go? Here

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Looks like the Guardian (UK was-a-broadsheet-once) has finally chirped up with their Snow Leopard offering.

Nothing like a bit of Rob Enderle, is there? Least it was Chris Edwards - Jack et al can be a bit too grumpy sometimes...
Article here and a trawl-through to see if this is the first mainstream paper info on Snow Leopard when I have time. Not too many SL articles of late - it's been more rehashing, or not really pinning NVidia down and asking non-Snow Leopard OPen CL benchmarks.
This is the first mainstream Snow Leopard article I've seen. However, I somehow doubt Apple's going to showcase Snow Leopard at Macworld... as it says Apple's likely to do in the article.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Home
This is the first mainstream Snow Leopard article I've seen. However, I somehow doubt Apple's going to showcase Snow Leopard at Macworld... as it says Apple's likely to do in the article.

Interesting to see Arn put in on front page... a few hours later :D
I'd imagine Chris is basically saying this from a composite of the rumours, put into future prediction of the keynote. Guardian doesn't have a direct line to Apple for strong predictions. Potentially likely information, rehashed.

But:
Apple and its partners have been privately dropping hints to developers that its upcoming release of its Mac OS X operating system, dubbed Snow Leopard, will ship earlier than expected -

Any developers care to comment?

Daniel on OpenCL and OpenGL versus Direct Xhere

Seemingly a whole slew of articles talking, or rehashing the Guardian article about Snow Leopard demos at MWSF echo chamber style, it being early, earlier than Windows 7, linked to the graphics news #

Lai rewriting info here after his Computerworld article
http://www.cio.de/news/cio_worldnews/867102/index2.html with quote of the day: an Lao, an analyst with In-Stat Inc., agreed. "This is not total hyperbole," he said.
"The moment I enable OpenCL, I can take a desktop computer into the low-to-mid-end server/supercomputer category."

Mini, iMac revamp
Looks like the Mini and the iMac are getting a graphics bump, in line with progress, and have more potential for both general graphics (e.g. HD) and also maybe some usage of the GPU come Snow Leopard. (The "there's always at least one thing not perfect" with a Mac/Apple product - likely to see better implementation of graphics hardware suitable and capable of more with Snow Leopard, in Macs after Snow Leopard, rather than before.

Snow Leopard Mice
http://www.macblogz.com/2008/12/19/one-more-thing-apples-new-multi-touch-mighty-mouse/ ? It'd work well for desktops without a multitouch trackpad. Slate as potential for a product when Snow Leopard ships.

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005

A better, more consistent and functional Finder than the POS we have now. I'm so tired of having the layout of a folder changing on me when I'm going back and forth between folders. The one thing MS does right is it's Windows Explorer.

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
I hear Windows 7 isn't really changing the kernel, but you can be sure that'll be a paid update... Reasons for it being a paid update, and how significant it is is covered a fair bit in page 1 and 2 if anyone is interested.

There's a big difference between the kernel and the operating system. Windows 7 already has a ton load more user features than Vista brought over XP. Don't get me wrong, I thought 10.3 to 10.4 was a pretty decent jump, but 10.6 just doesn't seem so great unless they really update the Finder. Snow Leopard (like its name implies) should be a reduced price upgrade.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
There's a big difference between the kernel and the operating system.

Actually those terms are usually used interchangeably.

Windows 7 already has a ton load more user features than Vista brought over XP.

Windows 7 is nothing but Vista with a few improvements, like better access control and driver integration, plus desktop changes.

Don't get me wrong, I thought 10.3 to 10.4 was a pretty decent jump, but 10.6 just doesn't seem so great unless they really update the Finder. Snow Leopard (like its name implies) should be a reduced price upgrade.

What updates would the Finder need? Snow Leopard's major improvements will be OS technologies under the hood that will benefit future systems most. If you don't need them, don't buy it.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Home
There's a big difference between the kernel and the operating system. Windows 7 already has a ton load more user features than Vista brought over XP. Don't get me wrong, I thought 10.3 to 10.4 was a pretty decent jump, but 10.6 just doesn't seem so great unless they really update the Finder. Snow Leopard (like its name implies) should be a reduced price upgrade.

7 brings more to the table. As will Snow Leopard.
10.6 doesn't seem a great jump now to some, but then neither does 7!
Would Windows give 7 out as a reduced price upgrade?

I think the interesting thing about 10.6 will be that it'll keeping getting better, with better hardware - less of a drop off in terms of improved performance as you up the kit.

Of note, roughlydrafted has an interesting article here, which pulls together more of a view on Apple's goals with PA Semi, imagination Technologies, iPhones, OS X 10.6 and more - in terms of graphics, and more. Might not see it till v4 iPhone, as they're job adverts (we're awaiting to see what the job advert for RF wrt GPS antenna brings after a year for the v3 iPhone when it's launched for example).

So in context, there is hiring, for tech related to getting something very akin to Snow Leopard, doing GPGPU. On a phone. Potentially. All caveats apply, but Apple may push ahead with some of the concurrency stuff, with the OpenCL, Grand Central etc stuff alongside. Let's not spin off into a Microsoft versus Apple debate too much - I think the comparisons between 7 and Snow Leopard are valid and I'd imagine it'll only get louder on this front - both are not out yet, and only really in the hands of developers at this point, with key vaunted technologies missing.

Edit - I think we need to see the finder in terms of the times. Apple had a decent patent out around 2000 I believe. And some reviews of it were fairly complementary

NVIDIA's Supercomputer in a box
http://www.nvidia.com/object/personal_supercomputing.html

"The NVIDIA® Tesla™ Personal Supercomputer is based on the revolutionary NVIDIA® CUDA™ parallel computing architecture and powered by up to 960 parallel processing cores."

"250x the compute performance of a PC" (though the price is nearing £10k

Plug a GPU in
Plug a deskside GPUS system into your desktop
Plug a 1U server size unit in

Apple working with NVIDIA. NVIDIA making big claims. Apple not making big claims. Wery wery qwuiet

(That is one big ass protein to be working with - having played with Sybil a bit on a decent today's standard desktop).

Could the XServe get a boost? Or have a linkable in NVIDIA unit?
NVIDIA's 1U is a 4 Teraflop unit.
Put another way - A HPC that's nearby, is ~850 processors, with a peak of ~7 Teraflops. It's a few racks of blades for the XC. More space with the GPU route, though bigger concentration of heat issues.

This initial jump to GPGPU might be huge (it'll redefine Moore's Law for at least a cycle potentially, as now we're dealing with Moore's Law for 2 things, CPU & GPU, which are additive potentially)

That could rival a current HPC e.g. a HP XC cluster (e.g.)

~ ?x
Tesla_S1070_3qtr_low.png

vs
9626_lg_Les_MG_2976_560x175r.jpg

(Double point vs single point flops not given, so it's a harder comparison than initially thought - i'd imagine the HP XC is used for double, with the work done on it. A 96 Opteron HPC would be about equivalent to one of the NVIDIA products in GFLops. i.e. 4 Tesla GPUs - a rough 20x reduction in PUs)

Now i'm not knocking current HPC centres (the above was in the top 200 worldwide), i'm just saying GPU based HPC is potentially quite close. A place like EBI, has looked at using GPU, but doesn't have plans yet apparently. And they have a decent HPC going on. Who's going to overach whom? HP would buy the NVIDIA product presumably, and brand it. What's Apple's angle?

As Clay Shirky says, more is different. If you have the money, you could potentially have a supercomputer now, without the hassle of current generations of HPCs. Look at the XServe - people actually moan about how easy it is to use. How they get offended by the simplicity, and ease of use. They moan for complicatedness, in some Calvinistic sado-masochistic way.

Think Apple XServe/Mac Pro, meets the NVIDIA Tesla Supercomputer. That's what Snow Leopard might unleash. It'd shut up some detractors, that's for sure.

Apple might just have a lot of Boom for your buck coming up. These HPCs are running Xeons. And those Xeons are about to get a tasty Nehalem boost.

Power - What is the power consumption of a 1U NVIDIA ? 800W. And it fits on your desk. Would keep your toes warm. And also, you could horde it's power, rather than rely on distributed power if you wanted.
Performance per buck? They're saying 100x better.
And what was the difference for Intel vs PowerPC? Wasn't that large...

Not to get too carried away, there are issues, it's new tech, new implementation etc etc etc. Just a quick shout out to a OP on another thread in the Mac OS thread - sorry if I was a little harsh. For certain things, certain programs, it may well be getting to the levels your article looked at. I think the NVIDIA site may well be testament to that. And to think Apple's bringing this tech to iPhones and other Macs soon... As previously said, some desktop PCs now are better than an original Cray. The next lot might go one further, and have a stab at rivalling current HPC cluster set ups.
If you crunch numbers, it might just be big.

radarbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
This is an interesting (3 part) article. written from the perspective of a windows developer.

In short the author talks about how Microsoft is hanging onto it's legacy OS code because they refuse/dare not/are too chicken to "let go of the past" and break the chain of backward compatibility. It's all about how bad it is for developers, and ultimately for users because of all the old 16bit and 32bit junk code.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Home
This is an interesting (3 part) article. written from the perspective of a windows developer.

In short the author talks about how Microsoft is hanging onto it's legacy OS code because they refuse/dare not/are too chicken to "let go of the past" and break the chain of backward compatibility. It's all about how bad it is for developers, and ultimately for users because of all the old 16bit and 32bit junk code.

Aye. It's interesting to see that he's warming up to Windows 7, from browsing some of his more recent AppleInsider articles. Taken with a pinch of salt, there are a few developers out there that have good knowledge in both Windows and Mac programming, and for the most part, they've come out on the side of Apple.

Just a side note - would there be any interest in a v3 iPhone thread?

Nvidia & Apple
iMacs, Minis pretty much thought to have Nvidia chips
MacBook Pros already do (though the bad bumps is an issue - i'd imagine it'll be a bit before we work out if the iMac and Mini models will have any bad bumps)
CUDA being used to help with encoding a DVD for an iPhone. (see here)
They're looking to put HD cards into notebooks, GPU cards into desktops for GPGPU, and have standalone monsters for raw processing power
d as
NVidia is partnering with Berkeley’s Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) (love the name)
- a leading distributed computing platform to tap CUDA.

I have a feeling this is going to hit Rosetta, Folding@home pretty big. We'll see what the Cell chips can do, but they've got a rival coming up. Wouldn't everyone like a bit of NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800 in the meantime?
4 GB of graphics memory
Memory bandwidth of up to 102 GB per second
240 CUDA programmable parallel cores
Full support of OpenGL coming up

We're still waiting on DirectX 11 supporting cards I guess, but they should be out in the summer. If compatible with Vista, and a future Mac, cards with power like this could presumably make a Mac a gaming rig to be reckoned with.
"Windows 7 does not offer native support for hybrid graphics systems. We strongly discourage system manufacturers from shipping such systems, which can be unstable and provide a poor user experience.""

Expect more stories on a possible love-in with Nvidia. Not that ATI doesn't have anything up their sleeve - for performance, the 4870 X2 is pretty hot. Nvidia is pushing PhysX, Intel pushing Havok. EA is licensing PhysX "Anything 8800 GTX or above supports CUDA, and therefore would support PhysX. "

Users raving:
CS4 results here

A Tokyo HPC:
Tokyo Institute of Technology - - Japan's 2nd fastest supercomputer has the Tsubame has >30,000 processing cores
Ranked 29th-fastest supercomputer in the world in the latest Top 500 ranking with a speed of ~75 T Flops on the industry-standard Linpack benchmark.
Tsubame uses 680 Nvidia Tesla graphics cards. If you're excited by such things:

Split "across several rooms in two floors of the building", it is "largely made up of rack-mounted Sun x4600 systems. There are 655 of these in all, each of which has 16 AMD Opteron CPU cores inside it, and Clearspeed CSX600 accelerator boards.

The graphics chips are contained in 170 Nvidia Tesla S1070 rack-mount units that have been slotted in between the Sun systems. Each of the 1U Nvidia systems has four GPUs inside, each of which has 240 processing cores for a total of 960 cores per system."

The Telegraph is doing coverage here. So a mainstream UK paper writing about it.

The gamer:
Ray-tracing with Nvidia - here
A NVIDIA real-time ray tracing demo needs 4 Quadro GPUs "as part of its Quadro Plex 2100 D4 Visual Computing System."
To give a 3 bounce demo render of an NVIDIA-coloured Bugatti Veyron in full HD ran at 30fps. (and sweet frames they were)

So ridiculous now, but i'd say not overly ambitious to say that within Snow Leopard's lifespan, (12-18 months from June 09 would make the end of 2010) it would be happening on Pro machines.

Intel has slapped Nvidia down a peg or two, not basically selling the Atom chip alone, but selling with chipset only for now, stopping the Ion from Nvidia, due to the cost of the chipset that comes with the Atom chip. Pity, as it sounds the Ion really had some grunt to it. Intel denies this.

A look back to see what more we know on the share buy up Apple has done on Imagination Technologies here.

Chris Edwards ( a freelancer, who did the recent Guardian article here) - talking OpenCL here
and reprinted in the Canberra Times here

That Imagination Technologies stock buy up in context:$4.8m bought, of it's $25bn cash reserve. I guess we await the PowerVR SGX GPU or rumours to production ramp up and orders. Don't see El Reg giving roughlydrafted a headnod though...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
There's something else I'd like to see in Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" - a Python update. Bring the system Python to 2.5.4, or better yet, 2.6...

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Is ~10 days too far off? :)
Interesting post - the information and picturess coming from the group 7mac.de
Techradar saying they

hadn't realised that it appears pretty much close to finished and ready for release.
Videos from sevenmac.net here

Their words. They point to the german website to confirm this, to show it's near finished form. Engadget's take on SevenMac Magazine -
64 bit apps with 32 bit modules will need to run in 32 bit mode even if they are 64-bit. Why you'd have to restart the preference app in 32-bit more to access the Network preference pane?

Sounds like pre-release issue, and hopefully not an issue we'll see more of (it would be like the restart to use the other GPU problem for the MBP's otherwise).

Elsewhere it seems the build 7000 of a certain Windows 7 has hit the tubes it's reported. Bit earlier than the expected January release. CES in ~13 days too, with a Ballmer keynote - here's to Apple socking it to them.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
An article from Anand indicates that OpenCL drivers wont be ready until sometime next quarter (I'd assume the end of Q1, since tomorrow starts the Q).

On top of this, OpenCL should get drivers in the first quarter of next year.

This would seem to imply that this includes Mac drivers. And I'm pretty sure Apple wants to have OpenCL ready to go with the release. The article indicates there aren't even validation tests for OpenCL. So I would assume that any release is still held up, my guess is still April 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.