Mac OS X 10.6 to Drop PowerPC Support?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 24, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As we approach the release of Apple's Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), Appleinsider suggests that this may be the last major Mac OS revision that supports the PowerPC architecture.
    Cited as speculation, Apple may not yet have made a decision on this matter. Apple has made no announcements about Mac OS X 10.6. Based on the most recent Mac OS development cycles, Mac OS X 10.6 would not likely ship until 2009.

Article Link

2. macrumors 65816

That sucks. There's a lot of life left in the PPC Macs.

3. macrumors 68030

bytethese

4. macrumors regular

PowerPC? What about Samsung Chips

OSX will have to be multi processor to keep support for the upcoming iPods and iPhones which run (quite well) on Samsung ARM processors

5. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

6. macrumors 65816

chr1s60

I hope this is not the case. I am buying a MacBook Pro soon, but I would still like to be able to use my current iMac with the most recent OS. One of the things I really like about Apple is that they make things compatible with the new stuff and the old stuff. I think they need to continue supporting the PowerPC for at least a few more years.

7. macrumors 6502a

kwood

It seems like a logical step to me. If Apple releases 10.6 in 2 years then the last Power PC computers will be 4 years old.

8. macrumors regular

kbrain2929

Makes sense to me as well! Intel is the newest and greatest, Power PC is in the past. So sorry if you can't upgrade. What's 10.6 going to be called? Lion? :D :apple:

9. macrumors 6502

10.5 supposedly already removes support for the G3.

10. macrumors 65816

lord patton

Well, if they're dropping the support for 800 MHz PPC systems, what would the cutoff be in late 2009 for 10.6? 1.5 GHz? If so, nearly all PPC portables would be out of spec.

Maybe that'd be fine, but I'd think G5 iMacs and Power Macs would still be good enough. Until Apple says something definite, I'm betting 10.6 will be universal, but with specs that preclude all but the most powerful PPC systems.

11. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The mobile version of OS X for iPhones/iPods has nothing to do with this.

12. macrumors 604

While in a perfect world it would be great if they could support all hardware forever, this isn't remotely surprising. I think this is what pretty much everyone expected, some people even said apple wouldn't support PPC with 10.5.

It's not that big a deal, Intel machines have been shipping for 20 months. By the time 10.6 ships, the newest ppc machines will be upwards of 4 years old.

You mean the last remaining g3's. My g3 was only supported through 10.2. And it may still work with a hack like xpostfacto.

13. macrumors 6502

10.5?

Let's get 10.5 on store shelves before we even start pretending rumors about 10.6 are relevant to our lives.

14. macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, then shouldn't 10.6 eliminate the G4? That seems like the most logical step to me.

Why are we even discussing 10.6 already? 10.5 isn't even out yet.

15. k28
    macrumors member

drop

10.5 drop G3
    10.6 drop G4
    10.7 drop G5

This would make more sense?

16. macrumors 603

Warbrain

Not surprising at all, but I highly doubt that they would leave the most recent PowerMac G5 users hanging like that. At least I have a top of the line iBook that might be able to run it next time around.

17. Editor emeritus

longofest

By late 2009, it would have been 4 years since the last new PPC mac was sold.

18. macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I think Apple should support PPC macs as long as the fastest ppc mac can keep up with whatever they come out and as long it is financially viable. Obviously if the hardware doesnt cut it anymore they should move on.

So, yes, I think that apple may drop support for PPC on OSX 10.6 if it wont run as smooth as in whatever intel's processor they use by then.

19. macrumors 68000

20. macrumors 6502a

Object-X

Sounds fine

Leopard ships October 2007 and I wouldn't expect to see a new OS X until at least 2009 or later. G4s will be really old by then and the features that the next gen OS will support will almost certainly be too advanced for such an old architecture. But I can hear the whining already. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 65816

rychencop

Not really. By 2009/10 PPC's will be totally out of date.

22. macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

I would hope that it would be 10.7 that would end PPC support. Think about all the PowerMac G5's out there in the industry because people couldn't wait for Adobe to release the Native CS3 apps.

That would mean that all the G5's out there sold last year would be obsolete in 2 years if 10.6 took away PPC support all together? No way. Especially when some of the last model PowerMacs still rival the current Intel line in performace and handling of applications.

Come on Apple give the G5's at least 4 more years. That's not asking a lot.

Otherwise you could easily see another lawsuit similar to the Beige PowerMac G3 suit over OS X.

23. macrumors 603

Markleshark

More than enough time to warrant dropping PPC support, IMHO.

24. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

Would make sense. PowerPC is getting a little long in the tooth. Plus, this will help programming since you wouldn't have to program for 2 different architectures. While the iPod/iPhone will still be here, Apple will still have less architectures to support.

The only down side w/ going Intel only that I can see is there are a lot of really great classic only apps out there that never made the jump to Mac OS X. Kinda sad to see them go.

25. macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Well, I guess the (few) who bought the quad G5s maybe expected them to last longer than 4 years...

Sad for them.:(