Mac OS X.3 and Pismo G3PB

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by willmg, Nov 24, 2003.

1. willmg macrumors member

Has anyone updated their pismo to 10.3? I have one running Jaguar to 10.2.8 and was wondering if its worth the upgrade. If you have, specifically what I was wondering is if the GUI is noticeably snappier or if there is not much difference?

thanks

2. willmg thread starter macrumors member

My friend also has a lombard, and he's wondernig the same thing anyone installed panther on either of these systems?

thanks again

3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I have upgraded to panther on my 500 MHZ pismo.

I have my pismo on panther. First I upgraded but then I started having problems with my printer drivers. So I backed everything up and did a clean install. It works great now... So there is no reason not to upgrade. It seems to be a little faster than 10.2 as well.

However I have an external 80GB Maxtor HD and it is not recognized in panther. OS9 does recognize it. It might be due to maxtor's not being able to make good HD (this is from my experience...). I have since upgraded to a 200GB ACOMdata.

Nuc

4. filmcutter macrumors member

Upgraded mine with a clean install to my Pismo 400. No problems, just time. Everything works, haven't found any incompatibilities. Back up everything. Just need to be patient and all will be well.

5. willmg thread starter macrumors member

Well thats good to know, but have you noticed any speed increase with panther over jaguar? ie: do windows open quicker, is there less bouncing on the dock?

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I installed Panther on my 400 MHz Lombard and it does seem to be quicker. The install itself took forever and a day, but after repairing permissions and all, I noticed it was that much easier to work around with windows and open deep file directories within Finder. It will never compare to OS 9, unfortunately, but it's usable and that much quicker than before.

7. willmg thread starter macrumors member

How do you repair permissions in Panther? I have been having trouble with mine ever since I installed on a 1.25 PB.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Go to your Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. From there, highlight your HD from the sidebar on the left and there will be an option to repair permissions. Click on it, let it do its thing, then restart.