Mac OS X and Active Directory???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Falleron, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Ok, I have been having troubles for months now! Here is the setup.

- Win2k server with AD
    - OS X.3.5 clients

I can get them to authenticate against the server. However, I cant get them to mount their home drive. I get a "missing or badly formed url" in the console log. I have tried everything - full network path etc. I have the moutstyle to smb.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

2. frozenstar macrumors regular

We have the same setup at the university I work at. I've been trying for weeks, unsuccessfully, to get the mac clients to map home directories. It's just not working, and like you, I've tried everything. At the present I've given up. But with every new OS update I'll try again.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Try making the user account in AD a member of the administrator group, or even domain admin and see what happens. For the brief time I tiend my Mac (Panther) in to my 2K3 AD only my account (which was both Administrator & Domain Admin) would map the home drive, other user accounts did not.

4. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I will try that, thanks.

frozenstar: I am getting to that point as well

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Did you get Directory Access to bind with Active Directory? If you're connecting to the primary domain (ex. apple.com), then in the AD Forest you put in apple.com and in the AD Domain you also put in apple.com. Then in the Computer ID you put the name of the MAC!!! NOT THE PC YOU'RE CONNECTING TO!!!! That will create a ******** of problems for you. Been there done that! Then click bind. It should ask for a username and password. Put the username and password for the administrator account in Active Directory and it should bind through all 5 or 6 steps.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

If it does work, then click ok and that should take you back to Services tab. Next to it you should see 2 more tabs, Authentication and Contacts. Click on the Authentication tab and then by Search, click on Custom Path, then click on Add. A sheet should pop down and the newly added Active Directory path should appear. Select that and then click on add.

Then click on the Contacts Tab. Under search, click on Custom Path. Then click on Add. Again, a sheet should pop down and the Active Directory path should appear there too. Select that path and then click on add. Then log out and if your have Fast User Switching on then "Other User" should appear in the list. If not then just put in the Username and Password for the user you want to log in as on the AD Server. If you have your login script working correctly on the PC side then your drive should map when it logs in.

This is how I got it working both at home and at the school I used to work at where they had mostly PC's and about 3 iBooks. I got them working with Active Directory where their shared drives mapped upon login. I even had it setup so that everyone got the same Dock Settings with only specific apps when they logged in. If you get everything else working and want to know how I did that, please let me know with a Private Message and I'll get right back to you on how to do it.

6. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I have managed to bind the machine without problems. I can log onto the AD using the macs. I just cant get the home directory to mount. I specified the home directory share in the profiles tab in the Active Directory. I have tried different types of formats. Eg. //server.../users/share. the full format in other words. No luck though in mounting. The console system log says its skipping the mount because of a badly or missing URL. I cant see whats wrong!

My first aim is to get directories mounting. Then, my next step is to customise the standard login dock etc for the users. I'm not at this point yet. I have about 100 macs to maintain + would love to get them using AD.

Thanks for your help.

7. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Check your Hotmail account. I sent an e-mail with the login script that I used and told you where you put it.

8. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Hi, dont seem to have recieved the script. Look forward to seeing it.

9. frozenstar macrumors regular

We're using Active Directory for authentication and OpenLDAP for management. I had no problems binding the Macs to AD, nor did I encounter any problems enforcing interface settings with LDAP. But, no matter what changes I make to SMB.CONF or anything else related to Windows file-sharing, the damn clients just don't map home directories. This has been extremely frustrating for me, and I've been put under pressure to get it working. At this point, I may just set up home directories on the OpenLDAP server and have them synchronize with the Windows home directories periodically.

10. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You shouldn't have to do any modifications to the any conf file. If AD is setup correctly, it all goes through the login script that AD uses to map the drive when you log into it with Windows.

The login script is a batch file placed in the:

My Computer/C:/winnt/sysvol/sysvol/scripts

I'd just name it login.bat

and it should look something like this:

net use //server/drive/sharedfolder