Mac OS X and new language support

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sebastijan, May 22, 2005.

1. sebastijan macrumors member

is possible, that Apple include new language or translation in Mac OS X? can i do something for this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry but I'm not fully sure what you mean.

I found a page on the Apple Support Site that goes into a bit of detail about what languages OSX supports. The article is about 10.2 Jaguar which I assume is the same as Panther and Tiger in this respect since I couldn't find anything more recent.

I hope this helps, otherwise could you please try rephrasing what exactly you want to know.

Thanks. :)

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My understanding is that Mac OS X language support is modular - adding support for a new language involves nothing more than adding a new language project to the relevant application(s) (this can be easily done in Xcode - I don't know how difficult it is to make one outside of Xcode using an existing one as a template, but I'm sure it's possible).

Therefore, yes, you can add more languages, if you can find pre-built the needed language projects, or can do the translation yourself.

4. sebastijan thread starter macrumors member

i mean how an individual user might go about suggesting specific new languages to be included in Mac OS X. example: Slovenian language (Slovenian have 12k active Mac users).

we have some application language translation, but we would like to have included this in Mac OS X by Apple.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You could start a letter writing campaign to Apple. Just have as many Mac users in Slovenia as you can go to an Apple.com site and use the "Contact Us" type of feature to write them an e-mail saying why Apple should support Slovenia. What localization do people use there now when Slovenian is not available, out of curiosity? Hungarian perhaps?

BTW, my Tiger has two languages that look like Slovenian in the list: Slovenčina and Slovenščina. What happens when these languages are selected? Are they only for localization of apps, and not the OS?

6. sebastijan thread starter macrumors member

hehe. we don't understand hungarian language. primary language is slovenian language, then english and german language.

slovenscina = slovenian language (slovenia)
    slovencina = slovakian language (slovakia)

we use unicode for special sign and english language on Mac OS X.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, so I tried it myself and I see now that sadly it is only there for app localization. Yes. You should definitely get people to write letters in to Apple. And also more visible localization projects. The more Slovenščina applications there are out there, the more it will draw Apple's attention to your nation! :)

8. sebastijan thread starter macrumors member

local reseller has no interest in localization. i've sent three messages to Apple and they didn't answer me yet.