Mac OS X and the Internet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JJBuck, Mar 5, 2007.

1. JJBuck macrumors newbie

First, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but it seemed to be the most logical place. I am in switching-from-Windows phase, and I need help understanding how my new Mac will work with internet sites that my kids use for games (disney.com, etc.). I have heard from several people that certain web sites don't work as well with Mac as they do with Windows. Is this a common problem? Is it getting better? And why does it occur?

Thanks in advance. I love what I have seen thus far with Mac, but I want to make sure that there aren't any unexpected surprises.

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hello :)

Off the top of my head, the only major problem you could possibly encounter is sites that need to run ActiveX controls. ActiveX is a purely Windows thing.

Fortunately the vast majority of sites, in my experience, use Java and not ActiveX - and Java works just fine.

3. JJBuck thread starter macrumors newbie

ActiveX

That makes sense. Is there a workaround, or does one just not have access to certain websites (or features on those websites) if accessing from a Mac? Now that I think about it, I can remember certain sites requiring ActiveX before certain features would work with Windows.

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

You could always use Parallels Desktop for those unfortunate times that Windows is required.

5. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

99% of websites will work exactly as you expect with your Mac, with the exception of a very few that are designed only to work with Microsoft Internet Explorer. This is because Internet Explorer does not correctly adhere to some of the agreed standards that are meant to make all sites and browsers work together. Some say this is because of Microsoft incompetence, others that it is a deliberate attempt by Microsoft to abuse their monopoly. But either way, sometimes a website made just for Internet Explorer will have trouble on other browsers.

Thankfully, this situation is now extremely rare, the last time I came across a site like this was a year or two ago and even then it was a surprise. To be honest, probably the biggest reason it is now so rare is the success of Firefox (on both PC and Mac) which means only the laziest, most incompetent of web designers would now only test their site on Internet Explorer. Also, with the new version of Internet Explorer in Vista, Microsoft have caved into pressure and tried to make it a bit more standards-compliant.

The only other situation you may come across is copy-protected video downloads (e.g. on sites where you pay to download movies). This is again because of... you guessed it... proprietary Microsoft technology. But you should not experience this in general web use where the videos are not copy-protected.

In short, there is an occasional problem but the average web user is unlikely to ever experience it. Should it be a real problem, you can always get a cheap copy of Windows and run Parallels - the new version will actually let you have Internet Explorer load up straight from your Dock, without having to leave the Mac environment and "see" windows.

Hope that helps!

6. Queso macrumors G4

Although the posters above all give a good assessment of the current situation, you need to be aware that the Disney site is one of the few where certain features do require Windows. I would advise you and your kids visit an Apple Store and access the sites from one of the machines there to see if what they want to play is Mac-friendly.

7. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

And the CEO of Apple is the major shareholder in Disney. Oh, the irony!

8. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah, but Disney have been in bed with HP for a very long time. Way before the Pixar buyout.