Mac OS X at Work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nsheikh80, Aug 19, 2005.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I would like to start using Mac OS X at work.

We are a large company with around 12,000 users. We use Active Directory, Lotus Notes, we have a domain and we map network drives via login scripts.

Does anyone know how I can begin trying to use my Mac at work? I will need access to my network drives etc.

How many users out there use their mac in an enterprise?

2. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Special website:

dedicated to this subject:

http://www.macwindows.com/

Take to mind: you need the co-operation of the sysadmins.

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Are you suggesting he should ask his admins if he can put a hacked,illegal, beta version of OS X Intel on his work machine?

Or - are you just highlighting some Tiger Server stuff... ;)

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I do Mac support in a large enterprise and we use Lotus Notes and Active Directory just fine, as long as you're willing to make a few sacrifices. The hardest part about it is compatability with all the Windows people.

But asking "how" is far too general a question to ask. Do you have IT support there? How do they feel about you brining in a Mac? Do they have the Mac versions of the software you will need? Will they get you set up on AD? etc..

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, that site is all about Mac/Windows interoperability in such settings.

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Thought it was amusing that the 'hacked' story was the first thing you see though...

'The MacWindows integration site' strapline does give the game away somewhat.

7. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Hey now, its nothing that bad! I have a Powerbook :D

8. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I work in IT myself so I should be OK with setting myself up if only I knew how. I'm willing to supply Lotus Notes myself. IT support won't be bothered about me bringing a Mac in, I will get authorisation from higher up. I will have to try to set myself up on AD, infact I will have to try to support myself (which is what I do on my current work laptop anyway).

9. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

What?

Pardon my ignorance of big corporate business IT and Windows rockin networks...but Lotus Notes... are you using the Aramaic or Sandscrit Editions?
    R

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I won't deny that Lotus Notes is a steaming pile of ****. Unfortunately I am not in a position to tell anyone that cares that it's a steaming pile of **** and have them listen to me. They put their eggs in that basket years ago and plan on riding that sinking pile of steaming **** to the bottom.

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Well my company is going from the pile of crap known as Novell Groupwise to the crap known as Lotus Notes. But that is ok because we have users that this the Calendar function means to scroll to the bottom of their emails and look at all the appointments which they never accept/decline. (Because the also think accept means to delete the appointment)