Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I got a PM G4 w/256Mb/20 GB (Yikes model )

when i boot the computer it goes into the grey apple screen. After that loaded it goes into a blank grey screen and doesn't go anywhere. help!

The Pm G4 is my cousin's system and i'm tech-guy in the family, and this issue is wierd for me to troubleshoot .. :eek: :eek:

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I'm expecting madjew to come in here soon with the responses;

reset your PMU
reset your PRAM

However, if you want my advice.. hug it. Or try and boot from the CD and see what happens.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
iphil said:
How do i get into FSCK from dvd??

Choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

However, you don't need to use the DVD. Just boot from the hard drive and hold Cmd-S at the tone, and it'll drop you into a shell. It'll even tell you how to run fsck :)

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nermal said:
Choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

However, you don't need to use the DVD. Just boot from the hard drive and hold Cmd-S at the tone, and it'll drop you into a shell. It'll even tell you how to run fsck :)

Do you reboot with cmd S then it'll show the Menu bar or no .. The boot screen won't even show right before desktop .. everytime reboot period is endless Grey apple screen ..:confused: :confused:

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Thanks E1 for the information on this simple problem for the Mac ol' guys but i'm still a n00b @ some Mac problems ..

So in a week i'll be doing the troubleshoot steps then .. :eek: :eek:

So i get some cash for a simple job, i might be working on the iMac FP and another XP box :eek:

My cousin's house has 2 Macs/Xp box in the same room :eek:
so it's easy to work on all the systems ..

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Update to the Boot up problem (yikes model)

Did run fsck and came back Ok but now it wont boot into tiger after reboot from Terminal .. Tried to boot from Dvd but no luck .. it's @ gray screen after the apple boot screen .. its getting me confused on what to do now .. :( :( :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.