Mac OS X Can read NTFS?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DaLurker, Mar 5, 2007.

1. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Wow... I just found out today that Mac OS X can read NTFS, I thought it couldn't?

2. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Macs run Windows too.

What has the world come to?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It's brought to you by the power of open-source software - http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

I used to use that under Linux all the time.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

6. DaLurker thread starter macrumors 6502

O... can't write? too bad... that means I still need to format to Fat32. Btw if I want to transfer files between Mac OS X and NTFS bigger than 4.2gb (or whatever the fat32 limit is), how would I do that?

7. RichCoder macrumors member

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

FAT32 partitions can be well over a hundred gigabytes, not 4.2...

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

but i believe individual file sizes are limited to 4gb or so, no?

10. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Yes, you're limited to 4 GiB. That's right, with an i.

So, in other words, you can't put a file larger than that in FAT32.

You can split it up in multiple .RAR archives but it's of no real use since you can't extract them.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Yep, so dont even think about storing your DVD images on a FAT32 system..you'll have to split it up into pieces. SL DVDs are 4.38 GiB (gibibytes)

MacFUSE with NTFS-3G is as sloow as molasses. Only good for writing files such as documents/etc. Large files will take forever, and if it ever gets done, the copied file is corrupted on the NTFS drive. Not to mention NTFS-3G/MacFUSE causes your computer to take forever to shut down/restart.

an external firewire drive formatted in FAT32 acting as a liason between OS X and Windows is dramatically faster.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I used to use MacDrive on my PC, but it screwed up one of my drives once when writing, so who knows. It's easier just to network them now. Looking forward to the new file system coming. Kinda works in Leopard right now, but not really.

13. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

There is limited writing support for NTFS in OS X. As per the mount_ntfs man page
    You have to explicitly mount the volume read-write to use it. Has anyone ever tried it? I've never dared!

14. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

I do not know if this answers the question. But I had to send my MBP in for repair to Apple. At their suggestion I backed up my HD (Apprx 45G) to my Dell XGM 3.6G XP Machine Second HD across the network using "Superduper". Once I got the unit back I restored the drive using "Disk Utility". There were a few bugs; Original user login was wiped but got around that by reinstalling and archiving off OSX D1 and recreated the user acount from "Root". Once that was accomplished I reset a few other items and all is pretty much well. So to end, I do not know if their is a size limit and a sparces but I was able to use my XP Machine as a backup and recover all my files and get back up and running. And its my belief that if I had not did a "Disk-Cleanup & Defrag" on my XP machine then I may have not lost the original user account to begin with. So My Bad on that one I think.....Thankfully I am back in buisness!

Bill.......:)

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Your use of the Dell hard drive under File Sharing over the network has nothing to do with NTFS or not. The Mac was addressing the volume as a SMB share, the underlying format of the drive was not relevant to that. The Windows OS was managing the drive, the Mac was seeing only the logical Shared volume.

16. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

When your connected to an NTFS volume over a network OS X doesn't actually talk to the NTFS volume directly, rather it uses SMB. OS X doesn't care (or know) what the underlying filesystem is.

Interesting to see it mostly worked though.

17. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

18. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Thanks CanadaRAM and tyr2!...Explains a lot more about how it shares with others. And, Yes!! I am glad it worked. Was sweating bullets over that one!

Bill.......

19. seanf macrumors 6502

As per the MacFUSE project page, NTFS reading and writing uses the NTFS-3G driver

Sean :)

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wish Microsoft would have just copied the Mac OS Extended file format in their products. They could have called it Microsoft OS Extended file format. :)

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Use it myself. It works, but not great. I wouldn't trust it for anything important. Not yet.

S'good 1st start though.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

For <4.whatever gig. In this world of firewire and DV cams...I've got dozens of 12 gig files that I have on NTFS formatted External drivers. I should be able to read them on a Mac (when I get one) - but say I capture a 12 gig file on my future mac...how would I then get that onto my PC?

I have to admit - this is one of the last areas where I am still switch-unsure. I'm swtiching this summer - but this is just about the only area where I'm nervous about it.

Doug

23. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

djellison- in terms of getting mac drives to be read by PCs, there is always MacDrive: http://www.mediafour.com/
    I've been using version 6 with my HFS+ formatted drives, and I haven't had any issues. If you're trying to get Windows to read a mac drive, there are alternatives. :)

24. seanf macrumors 6502

If you are keeping the PC and will have this running at the same time as the Mac then you can just leave the external drives connected to your PC, set sharing on the drives and your Mac will be able to read from and write to them with no issues.

If you need to be able to plug the external drives into both your Mac and your PC then you could format the drives using a more robust file system, such as Ext2, and then use the available drivers to provide read and write support. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2
    http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html
    http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

Sean :)

25. djellison macrumors 68020

Not heard of Ext2 before - I'll give it a look. My likely solution is going to be a large Raid 5 array on the desktop PC over gbit networking, but it's always cool to have options available!

Cheers

Doug