Mac OS X does not recognize Free Space neither does Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by *Y*, Dec 17, 2006.

1. *Y* macrumors regular

Guys and gals,

As you can see I have a bit of a problem. I had three partitions on my drive. On one of them Tiger was installed. The other two were unused and I erased tem by designating them as free space to try out Ubuntu. However, now Tiger does not recognize the partitions and neither does Ubunut when I try to install it. So what do I do now? How do I reclaim my HD space? Thanks.

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Open up disk utility. It's in Applications/Utilities, or you can just Spotlight "Disk Utility". Do the 2 partitions show up?

3. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I even tried booting from the Tiger install disk and they don't show up.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Disk utility recognises free space as i have erased partitions as free space before (just to see what "free space" is).

So just open up disk utility and re partition/erase it as whatever format you want.

Edit: Too Slow how about go into terminal and type "diskutil list" without the quotation marks. and report back the results.

5. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

0: Apple_partition_scheme *74.5 GB disk0
    1: Apple_partition_map 31.5 KB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS HD 54.3 GB disk0s3
    3: Apple_Boot 8.5 MB disk0s4
    4: Apple_Bootstrap 977.0 KB disk0s5
    5: Apple_Boot 128.0 MB disk0s7

There you go!

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So you are missing about 20 Gb due to free space, If it doesnt come up in Disk Utility or Terminal i am out of my knowledge depth and am not really sure what to suggest. I hope someone else will jump in and offer help. I will have a little look around see what i can dig up.

Sorry

Rich

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Hmmm. I really shouldn't be giving you too much advice, since I almost lost all my data because I screwed up the partitions on my hard drive. Sorry, I wasn't much help.

EDID: Just thought of something. Back up any important data, start up the Mac OS X install, and restore your drive to a single partition. This will erase the drive. Format to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled), and reinstall Mac OS X. That's really the only solution I can think of.

8. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies so far. I hope someone will jump in before too long.:)

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In Disk utility select the partition that your OS is on, and select the partition tab. does it show up like this:

[​IMG]

If so can you select the Free Space partition at the bottom and then change the option to Apple Partition Map or one of the other options and click partition and you should be able to get it back. This does all come with the caveat to be very careful to choose th right partition and if you can backup your data before hand so you dont lose anything.

10. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

For some reason it will not allow me to partition.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This is a real head scratcher, that was really my last attempt at answering your question. I will keep my eyes open for a solution. Hope you get it sorted.

12. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

13. Mr. Guja macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, please help me. I have partition called free space, and I cant erase it, put it together with partition where I have OS X. Nothing!!!

Does anyone know the answer?

Please, help.