Mac OS X dream

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Supa_Fly, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Im looking forward to becoming a contributing user to the internet instead of the bandwidth greedy PC gamer I once was. That said along with my limited OS X experience I need some questions I need help with .....

1) Can I make an OS X (Jaguar) Server on a PowerMac G4 using MySQL, PHP, Apache with XML code (Schema incl.) instead of html? ie like the one mentioned in Macworld November 2002??

2) Can I host a WML (WAP 1.2/2.0) site directly on an eMac/PowerMac G4 using OS X (Jaguar)???

3) Can I remotely login to my Mac (as Root/Administrator) via a Windows Machine (using Linux/Unix over Windows) and modify my server (as questioned in question#1) that resides on my Mac? If so what Unix/Linux application for Windows do I use?? Note: My objective is to update my server from a Windows machine in an Internet Cafe; until I can afford an IBook G3.

Thanks for any answers and help in advance!!!

December 2002 going full Mac OS X, and leaving Windows behind!!!

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

1) apache and php are part of Jaguar (php needs to be turned on in httpd.conf). MySQL is available via fink, or several packages. other apache mods are available as well.

2) No idea, but likely. If it is not possible with Mac app (versiontracker.com), a unix port may be available (fink.sourceforge.net)

3) You can telnet or ssh into your machine to control things on the command line. You can also install Timbuktu on both machines for a PC Anywhere like experience. Additionally, there is Mac to Mac GUI control software from Apple (Remote Desktop).

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Another option for remote control...

... is VNC. It's available for mac os X and windows, both client and server, source code available, free of charge.

4. gbojim macrumors 6502

Re: Another option for remote control...

I would not be using VNC as admin. Its not really very secure.

Re question 3, you can DL an SSH client for Windows from the openssh web site. Its called Putty.

5. Supa_Fly thread starter macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

YES....

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. I am now fully commited to making my dream a reality on a PowerMac!!

December 23/02 is when I most likely will purchase my PowerMac Dual 1Ghz or 1.25Ghz. My girlfriend will just have to wait for going on vacation to the West Indies, besides she hasnt gotten over her fear of flying!

Now everyday I must study XML and Schemas along with WML.....and yes I'm a glutton for punishment, LOL!