Mac OS X gets thrashed in OS social media face-off

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 12, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2003
    don't bother clicking the link the author simply points out that microsoft has a twitter feed, a myspace page and more facebook friends than apple. it's not even inflammatory it's just dumb.
  3. macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2009
  4. macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2007
    Microsoft just has its employees going out at full force on the internet to make this crazy hype about Windows 7.
  5. macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Without doubt one of the most pointless articles I have ever read.

It calims that Apple is lagging because it doesn't have as many Twitter followers as M$... what the hell.

6. macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2008
    When it comes to social media, Apple don't have to do the heavy work. It's users do it for them. Forums, news sites, youtube accounts, Apple have a far wider outreach to its clientele than MS, it's just that its run by us, and not Apple.

Computerworld are, yet again, full of ****.
  7. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    All those followers or whatever are the same employees. This goes for both companies.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2005
    Actually, Apple doesn't have a wider outreach, especially in other parts of the world. However, the rest of your post is absolutely spot on. When I worked at Apple, marketing gave my group a presentation on advertising strategies into the future and they specifically noted that Apple spends less on advertising directly because of what you mentioned in your post. I would only add that not only fans, but the media themselves, seems to carry on the message unprovoked to a point.

edit: sorry, I read what you wrote again and realized you are talking about a wider outreach to their clientele. I agree. My post was meant marketing to the general population.
  9. macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2003
    Shenfield, Essex, UK
    Three more reasons to prefer OS X.
  10. macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    Sort of makes sense.

I'm able to take with a lot of younger kids (hight school and under) and in speaking with this generation:

I asked if they like movies or TV shows - most don't. They may watch a couple here and there, but most don't really like to "sit there and watch".

I asked if they like videogames - well no not really. Some may play here and there, but usually an older sibling or only a couple of friends own a console. The majority I spoke with who game do it on a PC as they like the "social aspect" of playing others online.

Which leads to what they most really like doing - Social Websites, and Cellphone Texting. Most I see just do that on a Smartphone or iPod Touch. Many don't really want to bother anymore with a "bulky computer".

Plus, for those who have a computer, do you really need a $1,000 Mac for a web browser?

I know, surprising, but unfortunately true.

Most of the young kids I see at the Apple Store are either on the Touch or iPhone. If they are on a Mac - it's to check their "FaceBook" or "Twitter"...
  11. macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2009
    Look behind you!
    So basically they are buying windows because it's cheap. Not because they think it's better than mac. They just need a browser to view their facebook and twitter..