Mac OS X has speed!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iapple, Sep 29, 2003.

1. iapple macrumors regular

Today, I was pretty astounded by the speed of one small shareware program, Macpublisher.

It simply was SOOO much snappier and easier to use than MS Office! Now I know what an OS X app CAN feel like. MS Office just seems bloatware. IT is WAAAY too slow to load, and it handles text, and graphics real badly. It takes 4 seconds for the freakin FONT menu to appear!

Mac OS X has plenty of power, and speed. It really seems to be the apps that are the problem

With all the people complaining about speed, is it really 'speed', or just that snappy quality of OS 9 we miss?

To me, Mac OS X is almost perfect with 10.2 interface wise. Speed wise, I want a definite boost in these apps mainly!

iMovie3- SLOOOW
    Word X- slooow, why is excel and powerpoint SOO much faster?
    AddressBook- needs more features, better print-outs, and speed
    Mail- speed.

Thank god some of these may be fixed w/panther.

2. mmmbop macrumors regular

From all the discussions on Panther, Apple's apps are all going to feel more responsive, especially Preview. I didn't really think Preview was that slow, but now when I open even a ten page PDF I get impatient.

I just hope that MS follow with speed improvements in Office (I think it's out next Spring. I don't know much about the MBU at Microsoft and whether they get food throw at them by their PC colleagues in the canteen, but I hope they focus on speed and stability for the next release.) Watching Word redraw after a cut and paste action makes me want to cry.

I should point out I can cry easily. :)

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

So far I have only been doing some papers with MS Office, but it always loads instantly for me and hasn't been slow at all. This is only with Word, since I haven't had the time to play with the rest of the suite yet.

4. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I recently installed the Panther beta on an iMac G3 350 MHz. It still has some bugs, but the GUI is faster on the G3 350 MHz iMac w/ 320 MB of RAM than on my MDD G4 Dual 867 G4 with 768 MB of RAM. So speed is going to get a lot better soon.

5. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

I'm in the market for a Mac and I'm curious what hardware you have that makes those apps so unbearable? 4 seconds for the font menu is rough.

fraeone

6. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

It's more of a software issue. This wasn't a problem in the previous os(OS 9), which was faster than the current os(OS X 10.2). However, OS X 10.3 seems to have fixed this problem, but it won't be out for another month or 2.

7. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

word takes time to close the font menu too. it took about 5.6 seconds to close the font menu. :confused:

why is it bloated? i think it needs a laxative or two:p

(400Mhz G3 iMac:()

8. acj macrumors 6502

I wonder if microsoft purposefully programmed it like that. Load times on a modest PC are about .5 second. Font menu is not much slower than instant.

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Is this the older version of Office or the just released version with the slight updates? I am using the new one that was just released on 10.2.7 and everything is instant and snappy with Word. I didn't install any of the extra stuff, though, either. Just a quick and simple install of the needed components.

10. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I thought OS 9 was snappy but now I beg to differ

@ work we have 533 tower g4s 1 gig of ram running OS 9

@ home 500 tower G4 544 meg of ram running OS X

I get a little ticked off when I cant click inbetween apps while they are working when I am doing something in OS 9 I do something and wait.... then I do something and wait....OS X has spoiled me :D