Mac OS X is already better than Windows, Vista may be end o...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 26, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I know - it's a Dvorak article, but one worth reading (if there is such a thing).

3. macrumors regular

haha, that logo is funny, haha

is that a marketing logo or a bootup logo ?

cause the only thing i see different than the XP logo is the word Vista and the use of more color... during bootup anyways.

-Mario

4. macrumors 65816

stridey

Interesting perspective... for once I sure hope he's right, but I'm not quite as convinced as he seems to be that this is a foregone conclusion...

5. macrumors member

I can hear the argument coming already. the "Tight software-hardware" integration argument to keep OS X from actually dominating the market.

Nobody can see an Asus motherboard in the future with a big sticker that says "Follows OS X Protocol!" or "optimized OS X Architecture!" or something similar? Apple can still make computers, but when the CEO of Dell says "we'll sell OS X".... steve jobs should say "Alright, but only if you make this and this change to your hardware, and slap a big Mac-Ready sticker next to the intel sticker"

Another valid point to coincide with that... Apple computer hardware could simply be advertised as "wanna see OS X run even better?"

I don't see why someone would be dumb enough to stop that.

6. macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Asta la Vista, Microsoft!

7. macrumors regular

If you look closely, you'll see the same circular "spotlight" effect in the new Windows logo that Apple used for Tiger's X. MS can't even come up with their own effects to spruce up their logo!

8. macrumors member

Well, there is one other big difference between the new logo and the old one - the highlights and shadows are not the same. In the new logo the window is lighted by, uhmmm.... a spotlight ;) :D :p

9. macrumors 65816

1macker1

Thinking that a OS is going to die because it's name isn't 'hip' is just silly. MS marketing team is great, their tv spots stay in your head. I'm sure when the time comes, they'll begin a real marketing campaign.

10. macrumors regular

verozov

lol... the thud heard around the world... just thought that was funny...

11. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

It was one worth posting too Mudbug ;) very interesting to see the response that Windows Vista is getting around the place, seems to be VERY underwhelming.

12. macrumors 6502a

Can't see Apple gaining too much share as long as OS X is tied to the hardware. Maybe...but I really doubt.

13. macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

... well wtf I think i'm in an different universe... Dvorak says something interesting, insightful? interesting read.

14. macrumors 68020

I'm trying hard to formulate a complete response to this article, and it's predictions. However, I just can't seem to get it right now. All that I can come up with is the following:

The short-term future (2-4 years) is going to be very interesting.

15. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Agreed ;) :cool: :D

16. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, thank you... :D

17. macrumors G5

nagromme

"its reign as the OS dominator may end fast"

Maybe... I seriously doubt it! But a little re-phrasing and you still have a good scenario:

"its reign as the OS dominator may begin to end soon"

(And I like the name Vista... sure beats Performa! :eek: )

18. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just had to :D

Attached Files:

19. macrumors 6502

What's next?

Will we be seeing Paul Thurott windows-bashing or at least admitting that OS X is better?

When these dyed-in-the-wool wintel fanboys admit the dominance of Microsoft is comming to an end, and that it may be a good thing, it's got to have become so obvious that even they can't deny it anymore.

I just hope Apple doesn't pull an Apple, and screw up their momentum... I'm still worried about the switch to Intel having that effect, but so far it doesn't look that bad.

Cheers

20. macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

hmm

I read this article, and found very little substance to it. Mere speculation, with nothing else added... It's obviously not to be taken seriously.

21. macrumors regular

Funny you should mention that... I went to the belly of the enemy on Paul's site and found this:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_5048.asp

Granted, this is a review of a pre-release version of Vistahorn that will never see the light of day, but he does have some interesting comments such as:

"Apple's Mac OS X, recently upgrade to version 10.4 ("Tiger," see my review) is more than "good enough." In many ways, OS X is simply better than Windows, especially for experienced computer users, and Tiger rubs Microsoft's nose in the embarrassment of shipping a key Longhorn feature--instant desktop search--a full year ahead of the software giant. That's right folks. We already knew that Microsoft was facing smaller, nimbler competitors. But those competitors are now starting to outperform Microsoft in the feature department too. It's time for Redmond to stop pretending Linux and OS X don't exist."

Fun to watch... and read.

22. macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm not sure when it happened...but I have managed to land on Bizarro World! Bizarro Dvorak is saying good things about Apple, Bizarro Apple is using Intel chips! :eek:
    I'm waiting for Bizarro Steve Jobs to show up.

And now Paul Thurrot is talking up Apple!

My head asplode!

23. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

Well, that's it. The world is going to end tomorrow. Not only did Dvorak say he thought OS X was better, he actually made sense in his article. We're all doomed.

Regards,
    Gus

24. macrumors 65816

GodBless

What is he talking about? Does he not know how long it takes to create a good fully functioning OS? He is acting like Google could could come out of nowhere in the next few years with an OS that beats both OS X and Windows. What is he thinking?

25. macrumors 603

gekko513

The fact that Dvorak all of a sudden writes a pro-Apple article doesn't suddenly make him smart or insightful.