Mac OS X L10n for user accounts?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by janey, Apr 5, 2006.

1. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Hey all, quick question.

Is it possible to have a different language for each user on one install of Tiger, i.e.
    American English for the main admin account
    Japanese for a standard user account
    French for another standard user account
    Korean for yet another standard user account

I don't mean localized apps or input methods, I mean the system in general...I don't see an option to do this anywhere in the International prefpane in System Preferences.

I would assume, judging from the fact that you can change the language you want in the Mac OS X installer before the installation process, that it is indeed possible to use your computer in a different language without needing anything special - I didn't remove some of the language packs in the custom install pane (where it has a bunch of languages you can select to install the files Mac OS X needs to display things in that language) just for this purpose, but it seems as though I just can't do it?

I mean, I've been typing with different keyboards/input methods for a while now, but this is the first time I've wanted to use a different language for the entire system, and I feel like I'm seriously missing something that's right in front of me..
  2. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    If you change the language in the International pane and log in and out of that user, the Finder (system) language for that user changes to the new one you selected, doesn't it?
  3. janey thread starter macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Oh god.
    I'm officially an idiot. :eek: :eek: thought that was for all the apps, not for the system in general

Although, I must add, their east asian language support is a bit lacking...half the menus are in English....