Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
If you buy a Macbook today with Tiger installed, will Apple offer you a free upgrade to Leopard when it ships (assuming it ships end of March)? Usually, they allow some sort of window so you don't buy a computer that has an obsolete OS three weeks later.
Usually there is some sort or provision like that. However, I think they would need to have already set a launch date for that to take effect. In other words, why say, "if you buy a mac today, you get leopard for free" since that would give away an imminent leopard release? Will they do it retroactively? I don't know. I think Tiger's grace period was 3 weeks or something like that. I ended up in that period (woohoo) after i had bought my mac mini with panther installed.

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
I've been using Macs for two years (three at work) and, aside from the once-in-a-blue-moon use of iPhoto (which I've largely superceded with Photoshop anyway), I've never had a use for any of the iLife apps that came bundled with my mini. Really, how essential are they? As far as I can see they're all for amateurs self-producing media, and most people just don't do that.

Anyway, Macs come with iLife bundled, so all 'switchers' will be exposed to iLife as if it had been included with OS X. Only the longer-term Mac users wanting an upgrade will have to pay extra, and if they want those kinds of features they'd certainly do that rather than switch to Vista :rolleyes: . Smart strategy, really; I can't see why they'd change it.

Actually, didn't Apple offer a bundle in the past with the then newest operating system and the currenct iLife, which was a bit cheaper than the sum of both? They could do that again. But they shouldn't stop offering OS X without iLife.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Usually there is some sort or provision like that. However, I think they would need to have already set a launch date for that to take effect. In other words, why say, "if you buy a mac today, you get leopard for free" since that would give away an imminent leopard release? Will they do it retroactively? I don't know. I think Tiger's grace period was 3 weeks or something like that. I ended up in that period (woohoo) after i had bought my mac mini with panther installed.

That's the window I'm hoping to get into... I just wish they'd do an incremental iMac update really soon, like within the next week. Maybe the day :apple:TV ships...

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
There are several people that OS X feels sluggish to since the switch to Intel.
Frequent beachballing on high RAM machines among other things.

I don't remember having those problems on my G4 1.33GHz with Tiger.

Either the Intel version of OS X is programmed really badly or it is something with the Intel procs. I am hoping for OS X but we will see I guess.

Hopefully with Leopard going 64-bit, the Core 2 Duo and Xeon variants of the OS will take advantage of the doubling the number of general-purpose registers available so that tight loops don't need to swap in and out of RAM as often.

That alone could offer some significant bottleneck relief. Consider that IA32 and "x86_64-in-32-bit-mode" programs currently only have access to 8 GPRs compared to the PPC's 32. In 64-bit mode. x86_64 processors have 16 GPRs.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
*snip* Plus, I'm having some minor glitchs on my Intel that I didn't had on my PPC (computer doesn't always go into sleep mode by itself. When it does, it takes time for the computer to wake up, etc.)

Just the sort of stuff that I've noticed. I doubt that's the OS. I put it down to EFI being crap when compared with open firmware.

LDK

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2007
Apple does indeed offer such a program, but the window is usually 15 days, not 3 weeks, and doesn't start until an official release date is announced.

Thanks.

I can force a release date for Leopard -- but it will be 16 days after I place the order.

Cougar and Lynx are nice, but what about Puma and Cheetah?

Lonon

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Well said.

liger.jpg

LOL

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
I put it down to EFI being crap when compared with open firmware.
No. EFI is rather good... it allows hardware discovery and device tree building in a ways that are faster then open firmware model allowed.

Most often I have found sleep issue to be a result of a processing stalling in such a way as to not allow sleep.

Lonon

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Actually, didn't Apple offer a bundle in the past with the then newest operating system and the currenct iLife, which was a bit cheaper than the sum of both? They could do that again. But they shouldn't stop offering OS X without iLife.

Agreed. If you buy Leopard you have to get also iLife, this isn't Microsoft, nobody cares if Apple offer something into the mix that was already been out there in some third party. Like widgets and Sherlock, this is the way to go.

Is iLife a secret feature?

ironring2006

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Thanks.

I can force a release date for Leopard -- but it will be 16 days after I place the order.

Cougar and Lynx are nice, but what about Puma and Cheetah?

Joking right? They were the first two codenames

OSX 10.0 - Cheetah
OSX 10.1 - Puma
OSX 10.2 - Jaguar
OSX 10.3 - Panther
OSX 10.4 - Tiger
OSX 10.5 - Leopard

Although someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but Puma and Cheetah were internal codenames, and Jaguar was the first to be marketed as such.

LDK

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2007
Joking right? They were the first two codenames

OSX 10.0 - Cheetah
OSX 10.1 - Puma
OSX 10.2 - Jaguar
OSX 10.3 - Panther
OSX 10.4 - Tiger
OSX 10.5 - Leopard

Although someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but Puma and Cheetah were internal codenames, and Jaguar was the first to be marketed as such.

Well, if I knew, I wouldn't have asked. You guys would know much more than me.

I suspect that they were indeed internal names, because the first I heard of was Jaguar.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
somehow I doubt they will let me take advantage of the Final Cut Express HD 3.5 for $99 with any new Mac which expires March 27th and get Leopard pre-installed/disc included.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
The Frigt'tards at Financialwire.net said:
Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL) is set to release its Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard as early as the end of March, according to sources.
According to SOURCES?! YOUR SOURCE WAS OUR SOURCE, FRIG'TARD: APPLE! They said SPRING!! WHICH IS LATE MARCH!

Talk about having nothing to say and still reporting on it.

Retired
May 16, 2006
According to SOURCES?! YOUR SOURCE WAS OUR SOURCE, FRIG'TARD: APPLE! They said SPRING!! WHICH IS LATE MARCH!

Spring goes until sometime in June...June 11th falls under that...

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I suspect that they were indeed internal names, because the first I heard of was Jaguar.
They were probably internal CODE NAMES after-the-fact. I highly doubt they had the foresight to see that coming or we would've heard about the others earlier when OS X was first released as beta (which I was a part of -- and hated.) They would've made sure we got the CAT references from the git-go. Now that they're "internal code names", I have to call BS.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Chill out man! As psychofreak said, Spring last from the end of March until June. That's a 3 month window. Just cool off! As time goes on, they'll have a better idea of how much longer it'll be!

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
I think we should all just calm down. 10.5 will be released when it is ready and there's nothing we can do about it. Just relax and enjoy 10.4.8. I know the anticipation is fun and something to talk about, but anticipation can also be stressful.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Sorry - I've been reading Fake Steve lately and have been looking for a way to use FRIG'TARD in a sentence. I may have been a little over-zealous. :rolleyes:

Chill out man! As psychofreak said, Spring last from the end of March until June. That's a 3 month window. Just cool off! As time goes on, they'll have a better idea of how much longer it'll be!

Wow! An apology and a reference...I am brilliant :rolleyes:

Yupper3D

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
Waiting to do the switch...

We'll I've been lurking this forum for a while now reading up on the rumors and such and I don't think it has helped much. I guess it’s the very nature of rumors, but I've been getting very disappointed with the lack of reliable information about the release of 10.5. I don't believe this is this site's fault, I think it is a side-effect of the very little information about 10.5 Apple has released since the original presentation in August of last year.

I use Windows at home and Linux at work and I've been anxiously waiting (and saving) for 10.5 to come out and "do the switch" ever since the announcement in August.

I've been tempted to buy my MacBook (high-end white) already many times without waiting for 10.5 to come out, but I eventually decide to wait. I want my new Mac to come factory-installed with 10.5 along with 10.5 restore disks, and iLife '07, etc.

Problem is, I heard the MacBooks will take about a month after Leopard's release to begin shipping with the new OS :( And as much I would love to have my new Mac soon, I believe Apple will take until the end of spring to release Leopard. If that's June, that means that the earliest I can do the switch would be mid to end of July of 2007. Oh well, I guess I should stop reading so many rumors and focus on other things until July comes around...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.