Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Why doesn't OS X have a serial key, I've always wondered. Is it because it's ineffective without some sort of activation or that it's just a pain?

Apple could go ahead with downloads if they either used their DRM for something reasonable (software rather than music) or just realise that anyone that can install it has already paid them for a Mac, and that anyone that's going to pirate OS X, will do regardless...
Because it's already locked to only Apple Hardware. Why do you think the OS costs nothing in comparison. 5 user license for what, $10 more? Apple makes their money from their hardware. The OS is the incentive to buy into their proprietary scheme.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Because it's already locked to only Apple Hardware. Why do you think the OS costs nothing in comparison. 5 user license for what, $10 more? Apple makes their money from their hardware. The OS is the incentive to buy into their proprietary scheme.

Actually $70 more, but you hit the nail on the head. They don't make their money off of selling their OS.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
It is time for Apple to start digital distribution. I don't want a stupid box I'm just going to throw away, or a DVD I'll never use again. What's the point?

If you ever need to start up from the DVD to run Disk Repair; to change the
system password; to write zeros to the drive; do an Archive and Install, ect,
you'll need physical media (DVD).

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Yesterday I checked the tiger website and they were both shipping in 24 hrs...something's fishy here!

But what if you really do need tiger (machine wont be able to run leopard) and apple ships you leopard? lol

JSpence

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
So this new GM candidate is an internal release only? So all of the developers outside of :apple: aren't going to be able to update to this version? hmm...

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK

I wasn't advocating a serial key - I was trying to state that it was futile to have one, as anyone that will pay for OS X will, and anyone that won't still won't. I'd just like to be able to download OS X when it comes out so I don't have to wait for it to arrive! Also, I don't have any need for a box, manual, anything like that. All a big waste of paper!

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
I never had to buy Tiger since it came preinstalled with my two computers, but I'll be buying Leopard to upgrade them both.

If there's no CD-key or activation thing, there's nothing to stop me from using the installation on both computers buying the single user DVD, right? I don't want to have to shell out $99 more if I don't have to.

siren77

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2007
Well as a software developer I can tell you a couple of secrets.

1. No matter how much testing you do in house there will be problems when released to the general public.

2. The more people that the product is released for the more problems that will occur.

3. The more problems that occur the more of a chance that they will not be easy ones to fix.

4. Developing a complex application until it is perfect costs exponentially to its complexity. Unless you are willing to wait for 2015 for OS X 10.5 and Pay $8,000 for a copy. It is not going to happen.

5. Good enough for 90% of the people is the normal goal. Narrow down to 99% during the product life cycle.

6. Modern Software Development tools have bugs of there own causing problems to your program while you did officially follow the specs.

7. For a general purpose application (such as an operating system) it is impossible to figure out all the holes in it.

8. Unlike the Old days software is more integrated with the OS. So problems in the Application mess with the OS and problems in the OS mess with the application. OS Developers have little control what the application developers do.

9. To Keep compatibility you need to use some bad code to be backwards compatible or sideways compatible to other poorly written systems.

10. Hardware manufactures have the same problem thus causing a catch 22.

Very good points made. Enough to convince me to get leopard as soon as it's released :)

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
So it's just the legality of it. I'm using the $100 from the iPhone to buy it anyways so I just have to pay the difference.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Why doesn't OS X have a serial key, I've always wondered. Is it because it's ineffective without some sort of activation or that it's just a pain?

Apple could go ahead with downloads if they either used their DRM for something reasonable (software rather than music) or just realise that anyone that can install it has already paid them for a Mac, and that anyone that's going to pirate OS X, will do regardless...

1. Because Serial Keys are annoying, and Apple wants their customers to like them.

2. Piracty of OS X isn't a major consern for Apple.

3. It only run on Macs so the people already paid Apple some money

4. Still Mac users are defuse it is easier to buy a copy then to find an other Mac user who is willing to give you a copy of their disk.

5. Operating Systems are one of those software that people really like or should have a separate Media of Digital Downloads could cause huge problems if the OS Goes bad, so it better to buy the CD then just borrow a copy.

6. It is on DVD takes a long time to burn, or to download still so rampant piracy isn't going to happen.

7. It is better for people to experience a New Version of the OS so their next purchase will be an other Mac. Then make things so locked down that they can't upgrade and next time perhaps go with something else because they think of Mac OS X as from the Old version.

8. Less things to go wrong. Just make it work, makes installing the OS Quick and Easy.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
1. Because Serial Keys are annoying, and Apple wants their customers to like them.

2. Piracty of OS X isn't a major consern for Apple.

3. It only run on Macs so the people already paid Apple some money

4. Still Mac users are defuse it is easier to buy a copy then to find an other Mac user who is willing to give you a copy of their disk.

5. Operating Systems are one of those software that people really like or should have a separate Media of Digital Downloads could cause huge problems if the OS Goes bad, so it better to buy the CD then just borrow a copy.

6. It is on DVD takes a long time to burn, or to download still so rampant piracy isn't going to happen.

7. It is better for people to experience a New Version of the OS so their next purchase will be an other Mac. Then make things so locked down that they can't upgrade and next time perhaps go with something else because they think of Mac OS X as from the Old version.

8. Less things to go wrong. Just make it work, makes installing the OS Quick and Easy.

9. it costs much less than the windows versions so people are going to buy it faster, and the thought of that microsoft's owner already has in the 50 Billion dollars, the windows users illegally copy it faster

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Interesting. I'm surprised it hasn't gone GM official yet. That's an impressive manufacturing and distribution infrastructure if they're still planning for an Oct 26 release.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
This can also be a positive note. Meaning, they can add some last minute "secret" features too. :D

Speaking of... did I miss the 'top secret' features Steve mentioned in the keynote?
Honestly, I can't recall if he literally said "top secret features" or if that was conjured up by the rumor force. And I can't recall what we knew then vs. what we know now... regardless, at this point in the game, nothing feels very 'top secret' to me.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
we want external announcements today 6pm, not internal

and arriving doesn't seem to be the same as shipping to me

I don't think apple cares what you want. They've already said october, and they'll let the press know in time to make an event on the 26th. Apple really has no reason to make an announcement earlier than that.

And "arriving" means showing up in a store so people can by it. Please explain how that's any different from "shipping"?

I don't want a stupid box I'm just going to throw away, or a DVD I'll never use again. What's the point?

You'll use it again if your hard drive crashes. You'd be an idiot to not back up the install image. Or are you happy to pay $129 again just to save the cost of a blank DVD?

aranhamo

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
I don't like the sound of this. If I get Leopard on launch day and I get any kernel panics or program crashes I will loose respect and enthusiasm for Apple with each one. I wish we lived in a world where software was not shipped until it had been tested as much as humanly possible instead of as soon as it is as stable as acceptable with the option of fixing all bugs via software updates.

That would mean no software would ship, ever. There are a couple of famous mathematical proofs that show that it's impossible to write a program that is totally bug-free, and impossible to write any program with a loop that is guaranteed to exit. Engineering is all about trade-offs.

Bilvox

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Boston
shipping dates...

as noted about tiger saying oct 26th...
I went to the macbook pro pages and I noted "15 inches 1-2 days 17 inches 7-10 business days."
Hmmm
Im just adding fuel to the rumor mill :p

~bv:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.