Mac OS X Leopard July 15th?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SH&E, Feb 19, 2007.

1. SH&E macrumors newbie

Apple say that their beta version of Dashcode will cease to work after July 15th, does that mean that Leopard will be released that day? Hmm...

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I would hope there would be some overlap. They can't expect DashCode users to rush out and install Leopard on the day it's released. However they could easily extend the beta period for DashCode.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

When does BootCamp expire?

I am sure that this is probably the last date, that if everything goes wrong, that Leopard could be released. I would hope for an April or May release.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

These dates are never set according to actual product release dates. Usually, the actual product comes out will before the date, but on occasion they will issue an update to the beta software to extend the activity. If the expiration date of beta software coincides with the actual product release date, it's safe to assume it was a coincidence in most cases.

As for Leopard in particular, I think we can expect it a good deal earlier than July 15. At the latest, I'd expect it to be made available at WWDC time in June, but I think it is likely to be released sooner than June.

5. macmanny macrumors newbie

I think that Apple is going to release Leopard sometime between April and May, I mean Leopard is almost finished as of now, they are just polishing the final touches so they don't trun out to be like Windows which already has problems with Vista.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

In all probability it means that Leopard will be released before then. Since Apple said in the Spring I expect it by June 21 at the latest. However, Apple could always release an updated beta with an extended expiration date if it wanted to.

7. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

So true, i looked at vista in the store and it looks like crap, I think that vista looks like a giant waste of money.

Apple also says that they will release it this Spring so i doubt that they'll blow that deadline and release it this Summer

8. macguysoft macrumors member

I wouldn't go about saying that looks alone go by whether it's good or not. The features itself are not even a good comparison to Mac OS X in any way. The GUI is admittedly a lot better in Vista than on XP but what good would that be if you have to get at least 1 GB of RAM and a good graphics card just to look at the interface. In fact, I've heard that people recommend 4 GB for ultimate performance because it still lags with 1 GB! Some PC users say it's a better interface than Mac OS X but as the saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Although the way Macs GUI operates is a lot more innovative than Microsoft's in my opinion.

Indeed. I just can't see Apple making a Microsoft move by trying to postpone the release of Leopard.

9. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

When I looked at it I just couldn't see anything that was that different from other versions of windows.

10. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i was also annoyed at how the only new features that i saw were 1. not that great 2. came waaaayyyy to late 3. just copies of things that mac has done.

The interface also looked cheap pixelated and almost the same as XP but with different colors (may have also looked really bad because it was on an Acer computer :p)

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Since Bootcamp will become part of Leopard.... if I don't immediately upgrade, what will happen to my XP partition made with Bootcamp?

Sure it's not set to die is it?

12. macguysoft macrumors member

But doesn't the same apply to OS X? There are noticeable differences in the GUI but a lot of it is still similar to OS 9. I agree that there isn't much difference but if you look closely, you'll notice that there's some mac os x design touches to it.

13. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

do you mean OSX design touches in Vista?

i didn't look that closesly because before i ever touched that OS i knew i would NEVER spend the money to get it, so the fine design features were lost on me:p

14. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

I forgot where I saw it at but someone wrote an article about the new Mac OS and said that it should be out by the end of March. From what i've seen on this forum that most people that follow the stories think that it will be out middle of April or early May. I'm going with April or May because thats right in the middle of spring but Apple could throw a curveball.

15. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i wish that they would just set a release date already, if not at least a more specific time frame than "spring of 2007"

Maybe give us a hint as to when in spring.

I would have to agree though that it'll probably be released in the middle of spring, rather than at the beggining or end.

16. macguysoft macrumors member

Yeah, that's what i meant. It's not really worth buying because we've had Vista's features for a while now. I still think Mac OS X's design is better than Vista but that's subjective. Flip 3D is nothing in comparison to expose but perhaps some cool effects. Don't forget about buying that high-end computer just to use Aero!

If we knew the release date of Leopard, then that would spoil things a bit. The more surprises and the better. Well, at least for me.

I hope so. But we can't say anything till Apple says so. I'm jokin' :cool:

17. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

18. macguysoft macrumors member

Okay... I would think that this time-wait be better because we all don't want a OS like Vista. However, If the development progress is doing good then it can come out earlier. No one really knows...