Mac OS X Leopard Reviews: NY Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has seeded the usual technology reviewers with early copies of Mac OS X Leopard for review. The reviews were published tonight. Overall, Leopard is described to be a solid upgrade with only minor bugs encountered in the testing by the reviewers. David Pogue specifically states that he was using the final version of Leopard for a week prior to the review. Compatibility with existing applications is also described as good, and upgrades from existing Tiger installs appeared to go smoothly.

NYTimes - David Pogue
    • "The most serious misstep in Leopard is its new see-through menus. .... Often, Apple’s snazzy graphics are justifiable because they make the Mac more fun to use. In this case, though, nothing is gained, and much is lost."
    • "Otherwise, the only cause for pause is the usual minor set of 1.0 bugs, which Apple generally fixes with software updates after a major release."
    • "Leopard is powerful, polished and carefully conceived. Happy surprises, and very few disappointments, lie around every corner."

Wall Street Journal - Walt Mossberg
    • "I did notice a few drawbacks, but they were minor."
    • "In fact, every piece of software and hardware I tried on two Leopard-equipped Macs -- a loaned laptop from Apple and my own upgraded iMac -- worked fine, exhibiting none of the compatibility problems that continue to plague Vista."
    • "Leopard isn't a must-have for current Mac owners, but it adds a lot of value."

USA Today - Edward Baig
    • "I migrated to Leopard from the last OS X version, Tiger, without pain on a MacBook laptop and my own iMac desktop"

Apple is launching Mac OS X Leopard on Friday, October 26th at 6 p.m. There have been a few scattered reports that Mac OS X Leopard has already arrived in the hands of some lucky customers today, but no unboxing photos have yet been published or submitted.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i kinda want to know what they meant when they said that much is lost because of the menu and its graphics...? i thought these were going to be a really cool ideas. wonder what's the problem with all this?

3. macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, I like the see-through menus. I have no idea what Pogue is talkin' about when "much is lost".

4. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

the titles link to the actual article. he thinks the translucency makes it hard to read.

arn

5. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i guess its just an opinion than but i can't wait for the little things like that

6. macrumors 68000

darthraige

I hate these moron critics that trash the software. Us die hard fans can't wait for this. We all know it won't be a disappointment to us loyal fans. What these critics don't understand is how much it will help us Production Editors with Leopard using 64bit and all 8-cores... Morons. Hate critics who don't know crap.

7. macrumors 68020

Is the transparency worse than how it was in Mac OS 10.0 and 10.1? I didn't really mind the transparency there at all, but any less opacity will probably bother me.

8. macrumors 6502

Fabio_gsilva

It's great to hear good things about Leopard. Hope to feel my Mac snappier.

9. macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

"New see-through menus" like the ones in Tiger, or is he talking about the menu bar? Either way, good to see the biggest problem with Leopard is a minor aesthetic difference.

10. macrumors regular

Baig completely violating the EULA by installing one copy of Leopard on two Macs in the process... :D

11. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

He's talking about this I believe. Which exists in Tiger, but perhaps to a lesser degree.

Attached Files:

12. Guest

Sky Blue

i love the comment on the picture in the NY Times article..someone wasn't paying attention

13. macrumors 6502a

Ah woo woo!! Shamey, shamey! :p

I wanted to do the same, but my conscience got the best of me. This way, I feel like I've helped Apple enough to where we won't get an activation wizard in the next major OS release. Plus, I have 4 Macs ... and it just wouldn't be ethical.

14. macrumors 6502a

Jetson

Leopard is finally here!

It's been a long time coming, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. :)

15. macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

people are making this as a huge deal. it's big, but chill out. i am getting it in Dec...

16. macrumors 68020

they seemed to like it :confused:

17. macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

FWIW I have never noticed the translucent menus on the Leopard seeds. The older translucent menu bar was much more translucent but the latest is completely readable and I have desktop images cycling every 5 seconds.

18. macrumors 65816

jackc

It doesn't say it was one copy (although it might have been), he just said he installed on both.

19. macrumors 603

HLdan

I find it interesting that Pogue cut off the edge of the Finder that reveals the scroll bars. I wonder if we are going to see something new? ;)

20. Guest

liberty4all

10.5 should install on any G4!

I find it unacceptable that Apple would try to stop the install of 10.5 on any G4, or G3 for that matter -- if someone wants to install, let them -- give a warning on requirements, but don't put in roadblocks.

The big problem is Apple never fully optimizes any hardware, because any gains are taken away by more feature fluff negating improvements. What they should do is allow the user to shut off the fluff, so 10.5 can run just fine on saw a G4 Sawtooth...

Sheesh!

21. macrumors 68020

i have to admit i hate walt mossberg. I don't know why exactly. He's so smug. He reminds me of an insect or a bug.

22. macrumors 603

HLdan

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you on this. Remember the iPhone disaster? Apple gave a warning of what might happen and nearly everyone went against their warning and jacked up their iPhone. Now say if installing Leopard on unsupported systems cause a loss of files then there will be some unhappy Mac customers. It's best to block installation rather than deal with lawsuits.

23. macrumors 6502

Well, yeah, imagine reading a book that is translucent... What a dumb idea.

Watch out what wallpaper you put up!

24. macrumors 6502

I'd hate to pop your bubble (and maybe some other people's) but you can click that image and it's just and Apple press image. Nothing new. Sorry.

25. macrumors regular

I have a 933 mhz quicksilver running as my media server. It is older than a sawtooth, and it meets apple's requirements. What are you complaining about?