Mac OS X Leopard UI

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kjdenison, Aug 7, 2006.

1. kjdenison macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Is this another thing that is "top secret"? I still don't see any unification in the UI, or any improvements. It looks identical to tiger. Any thoughts on if we will see some changes by this spring?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Things he didn't go into detail about:
    • Improvements to BootCamp (e.g. who wants to re-boot when you *could* just double click an exe..
    • Finder
    • Front Row changes
    There definitely is a lot more to find out about Leopard. It all seemed lame after the keynote was over, but after watching the QT stream, it looks awesome.

3. russell macrumors newbie

How about the fact that they haven't been showing the desktop icons on ANY of the Leopard screenshots - only during the keynote -

The just have to do something with Finder... have to.

4. p0intblank macrumors 68030

There is still a lot more to be seen. Apple won't stop here... like Steve Jobs said, there are some "Top Secret" features that he will get into eventually. There will most likely be another event before Leopard is released. It'll be the event where we will finally get to see these secret features. And one of them will be... *drum roll* the revamped Finder! :)

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

You hit it right on the head. I'm sure there are still many improvements to come, especially a revamped Finder. My guess is we'll know pretty much all there is to know about Leopard at MWSF 07.

6. Navintar macrumors member

Eventhough they didn't show us the leopard finder, it doesn't mean secret will definitely lie within the new finder. Remember that the developer preview version of leopard is shipped TODAY. If Apple does want to keep their secret feature confidential, it shouldn't include that feature in any pre-released anyway.

Of course you could say that the demo shown during the keynote can be the "real" Leopard, but I found it less likely and there is no reason for Apply to do so.

All the bells and whistles will definitely be included with the comercial version. That probably includes new desktop wallpaper, a slightly changed skin, new screen saver, etc. I don't think this could be considered as a top secret. It seems superficial to me at least.

7. Axeon macrumors member

What's also weird about that screenshot is that underneath the folder in the dock, there's a black arrow. When I put a folder in my dock and click on it, no black arrow. Might not mean much, might mean the way Finder runs has been altered slightly, and perhaps even moreso that we just can't see yet.

8. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I dont think the only remaining changes are superficial, and even with the developers getting a preview today it only means that the new core API's are finished (or nearly), Apple can still redo the finder by using core animation and all the other cores without having to show their hand to the developers and MS. Im hoping for a few more things, as with tiger there is a lot of potential for some serious bling in the Api's, Apple just wants developers to get time to use it, and very likely they themselves need to finish their own bling apps.

9. kjdenison thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even think about that. hmmmmm

10. Navintar macrumors member

And I'm not saying that they are. BUT IMO skins and animations don't justify being "top secret" features that Apple is keeping until commercial release. If a new finder is the remaining change, I'll be happy to see it get upgraded. Better UI should be a plus, but there are definitely more than just that.

All I'm saying is that Apple could definitely use the pre-release version during the keynote, so what we saw or didn't see doesn't really tell us anything.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's what they don't show that's revealing. I'm still looking for some Leopard Finder screenshots.

12. br- macrumors member

The build given to the developers doesn't have any of the TOP SECRET stuff that Steve referred to. The finder is the same as 10.4.

13. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

My mistake then. I almost agree, the fact that apple DIDNT show certain things says a lot, more than ever I expect a new finder to ship with leopard. But as I pointed out, the developers release is about the API's, the bling will be demo'd later.

14. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I agree with John Gruber (daringfireball.net) that Apple is going to make the most significant update to the UI in Leopard since the move to OSX. Apple is going to make Vista look like a toy.

This is clearly one of the areas Apple is going to keep top secret, because changing the skin of Vista, or offering a skin that looks like Leopard is one of the easiest things for Microsoft to copy.

It would be trivial for them to do, compared with copying iChat this late in the game or Time Machine.

I wouldn't worry about the UI you saw today. (Or finder for that matter.) Those are clearly two areas in the Top Secret category.

15. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

There is also no arrow under iCal, even though iCal is obviously running. I say totally bogus screenshot and/or really unfinished and rushed preview of Leopard. Also, the iCal dock icon seems to be dead since the date does not match the iCal date. IMO, Leopard will introduce major changes to the Dock. Isn't it sort of unusual how the Dock previewed during the Keynote did not display the classic OS X magnification effect??

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The Spotlight icon was also in the dock.

Ooh boy is there a lot of stuff yet to come, MWSF is going to be great next year.

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

As usual, I agree with The Chundler, despite the fact that he should be stoned publicly for being able to surf during the winter.

18. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Not only that, but iCal is (supposedly) the active application, yet the menubar says Finder is the active application.

19. slb macrumors 6502

Put it this way, we know Leopard will have a resolution-independent UI, and we were not shown it at WWDC, so we know we're in for at least a GUI refresh that is being kept under wraps.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It would almost suggest that Keynote is the only running application and it's running a full screen presentation and everything was done with Tiger. ;)

I think Apple is a bit behind schedule with visuals. Of course, they could have just presented their new applications on Tiger, but then, that would make people think that they don't need the under-the-hood enhancements Leopard will likely provide.

I'd bet on the Unified look with more of the dark, translucent dialog boxes.

21. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Not to mention an icon next to it ... which looks like Spaces, but isn't.

[​IMG]

22. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

If were starting to analyze the icons in the dock days after the WWDC just imagine what we will be doing days before Mac world paris?!?! :eek: :eek:

I think even though most of use dont realize it we seriously want apple to impress with leopard and kick some vista ass! :D

23. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

24. Project macrumors 68020

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/leopard/simplesetup.html

Check the UI at the end of the clip of Leopard Server. The black, transparent, reflective thing thats going on. Has this been used before in Server? It looks sleek. I see Apple using black more and more... iPhoto adjustment panels, Aperture etc...

25. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

That's just a widget