Mac OS X Leopard with Major DVD Player Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 18, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Appleinsider posts a description alongside artist renditions of upcoming changes to Leopard's DVD Player (5.0) software.

Improvements range from fullscreen chapter navigation with chapter thumbnails, a time bar for visual scrubbing, satin platinum highlights, equilizer and other preferences.

No word on any additional HD-DVD or Blu Ray support have been noted.

2. macrumors P6

twoodcc

sounds good to me....can't wait for Leopard!

3. macrumors newbie

Scrubbing? YES!!!!

4. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I'd like it more if this was implemented into FrontRow. I use the DVD player in FR more than i use the DVD Player app.

5. macrumors 65816

ero87

excellent!! DVD player could definitely use an overhaul.

6. macrumors 65816

Squonk

Those mock-ups look nifty! It has that iPhoto feel to the chapter list at the top of the screen. I like it!

That brings up a good point - isn't a DVD player redundant with FrontRow. Well, I suppose that is only true for the FrontRow equiped macs.. So the DVD player is more aimed at the older hardware?

7. macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

I've missed this like crazy: "a time bar for visual scrubbing" :)

8. macrumors newbie

Could the new look on the mock-up be any indication to the new GUI in leopard?

9. macrumors 65816

Does Front Row have a completely different DVD Player or does it just hook into the regular DVD Player?

I'd find it surprising if Apple doesn't just have Front Row call the regular DVD player to play DVDs, even if it doesn't present the full DVD player app.

10. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

You mean... Like most DVDs have built into their own menu system?!?

As for using the Front Row DVD Player more than the standalone: In Leopard, Front Row will be included for all computers, even without a remote.

(Although this brings up the question: Will the Mac Pro be updated to include an IR receiver?)

11. macrumors 6502

Please please please let this new version have 5.1 support. A lot of Macs have optical audio output that works just dandy with a 5.1 speaker set, so I hope that Apple includes support for 5.1 decoding. Better deinterlacing would be nice too.

12. macrumors newbie

Sounds great, unfortunately it makes me even more anxious of getting Leopard!

13. macrumors newbie

I usually watch movies with a 5.1 speaker set. I connect optical audio to a receiver and it works just right with dolby surround and dolby digital: you just have to go in preferences menu and choose digital audio out.

I hope that new DVD player will support Blu-ray and HD-Dvd, it wouldn't make sense not to add those features. (720p instead of 1080p in iTv doesn't make sense, too).

14. macrumors regular

Most, but not all. And if they do, it's a sub-menu off of the main menu. And even more often it's a sub-menu off of the sub-menu! So this means you would have to leave the movie, go to the main menu, go to the sub-menu (if there is one), navigate to the thumbnail and play. And of course on most of these menus, there's actually a number of different screens that you'd have to get to, to go to the right thumbnail:

1-4 5-9 10-14 15-19

If I understand it right, I would imagine Apple's solution greatly simplifies this. You don't leave the movie, you don't navigate to any sub-menu, you don't have to guess which thumbnail you need.

Nevertheless it will be interesting.

15. macrumors 6502a

My Mac Pro purchased last month cannot run Front Row (despite the fact that it is installed). At least, it can't without screwing around with some Library files, and I didn't have any luck doing that. :mad:

Hopefully Leopard will allow all hardware that's up to the task run Front Row. Although I feel like if I'm sitting right in front of my computer, interacting with it via mouse and keyboard, it makes more sense to use the DVD program. I only feel the advantage of Front Row when I'm sitting further back and am using the remote control.

16. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Like some have already mentioned, I just assumed since Front Row was included with Leopard, that DVD Player.app would just be left out, as it's not needed anymore.

Why do we need two DVD players?

17. macrumors newbie

For the same reason we need iTunes and iPhoto. If you open front row and you watch photos, then you quit front row, you will notice that iPhoto is open. Front row uses other apps.

18. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Which, I must say, is very annoying.

19. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

what is visual scrubbing? :confused:

But overall that is pretty good, the DVD player needed a bit of help (I still can't figure out how to get 4:3 shows to stretch to widescreen :eek: )

Just added another reason I'm stoked for Leopard :D

20. macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

GetAMac ad

yea, that new ad with PC getting a webcam installation from IT guy is hilarious. I like that ad more than PC upgrade one :D

21. macrumors member

DVD Player Dolby 5.1 & 720p Output

DVD Player 4.6.5 definitely supports Dolby 5.1 output.

Here is my question:

I have a G4 Quicksilver PowerMac dual 1ghz 1.5 GB RAM. I plan to get a Mac Pro 8coremac when they come out.

To turn my G4 into a video server serving up Video_TS folders (which DVD Player 4.6.5 currently supports(hope they do not take this away!)), I'd like to know three things:

1. What audio card do I need to add to the G4 that will support Optical out Dolby 5.1 for my receiver to get the proper AC3 signal?

2. What video card upgrade can I get for the G4 in order to output a true 1280x720p HD signal to my Projector (720p) (DVI to HDMI cable being the best option).

3. What bluetooth cards can I get for my G4 to allow me wireless keyboard and mouse access?

I really appreciate someone emailing me detailed information to blur35mm(at)gmail(dot)com. This has been impossible for me to find info on and is the final touch to my home theater. http://www.hemingwayhometheater.com (website coming soon).

Thanks to all!
    Blur

22. macrumors 6502

donlphi

Not Real...

Photoshop Hack!!!

23. macrumors 68030

apfhex

This has been needed since the beginning of time!!! Maybe DVD Player will actually be useful in Leopard.
    I bet it has nice dim-vims too. :cool:

24. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

The current DVD player has audio EQ...

25. macrumors 68000

Try again.