Mac OS X Lion Adds TRIM Support for SSD's

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.7 Lion' started by iPhone1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. iPhone1, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

macrumors demi-god

iPhone1

TRIM Support : YES!!!!!!!

2. macrumors 603

Confirmed on MBA (Late 2010)! (x 100)

3. Moderator

Hellhammer

This is good news.

4. macrumors 68020

So what is TRIM support and why is it a good thing to have?

5. macrumors 603

saving107

http://www.macstories.net/news/os-x-lion-adds-trim-support-for-ssds/

6. macrumors 6502

Apparently not all SSDs. At least my OCZ Vertex 2 doesn't appear to have it enabled in Lion, although it works fine in Windows.

7. macrumors 68020

I've also heard that TRIM is good for cheaper quality SSD drives.

8. macrumors demi-god

iPhone1

That would suck if Apple made Lion to support TRIM only on Apple branded SSD's. Let's hope this is not the case.

9. macrumors 6502

Well if that ends up being the case, I'm sure some smart people will find a way to make it work ;)

10. macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Indeed. My Intel X25-M G2 SSD is not supported either. :(

Attached Files:

11. macrumors 6502a

Hmm this is very bad news. I wonder if I should order an Apple SSD with the new MBP then, and just sell my own G2. Anyone have any thoughts?

12. Moderator

Hellhammer

That is the first beta of Lion. TRIM support may still be taking its baby steps so don't make decisions based on what Lion currently supports.

13. macrumors 6502

It was one of the good news I was waiting for.

14. macrumors 6502a

Definitely definitely. However, I will cancel my order for now, since I should probably wait on some reviews anyway. I'd also like to see what SSDs they're actually using this time around.

15. Moderator

Hellhammer

That is always a good choice. Anand is already working on review and IMO AT's reviews are one of the best in the Internet.

16. GekkePrutser, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

What I said before: Knowing that it's a shame though that Apple didn't pick TRIM-capable SSD's for the current generation MacBook Airs. There's 2 suppliers in there currently, Toshiba and Samsung but neither support TRIM, according to the System Profiler :(

Sorry, I stand corrected

17. Moderator

Hellhammer

It shows no TRIM support because OS X does not support it. See above, Intel X-25M supports TRIM but in OS X the TRIM support is stated as no. The second post also says that TRIM support has been confirmed with 2010 MBAs.

18. macrumors newbie

Any new information on whether the final release of Lion, allows for Trim support on non-apple branded SSDs?

I'm holding off purchase on a Intel 320 because it doesn't have garbage collection, and unsure about TRIM enabler.

19. macrumors 603

It doesn't.

20. macrumors 68040