Mac OS X Lion and Python

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by mumblefish, Mar 10, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

mumblefish

Hello Everyone,

First post here. I am a software developer, however I'm running into a slight problem. For my next project I will be using Python, but Mac OS X seems to ship only with 2.x. I'm wondering if anyone knows the specifications (in terms of software) for Mac OS X Lion. Will it ship with Pythin 3.x? Also what will be the OpenGL guidelines for Lion?

Thanks in Advanced.
    -MumbleFish

2. macrumors 6502a

I haven't come across anyone building proper software with Python 3.x everyone is still on the 2.x branch. It may start changing now since they stopped keeping 2.x in sync in terms of fixes etc.

But even so why would it matter what ships with the OS, you can just bundle the newer libraries or require that people install it before hand.

Apple generally doesn't comment on the versions that ship with the OS for minor libraries so gauging them from the dev builds is most likely your best option.

The OpenGL support will most likely not be clear until close to actual release.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

mumblefish

@Hansr, there are many things in Python 3.x that aren't achievable with Python 2.x also note that having the possible users install extra 'things' is unacceptable. However this isn't your problem and thank you for your info.

I found something in google that says Lion will only support up to 3.2OpenGL, but no confirmation yet.

4. macrumors 6502a

Then you could freeze the script based implementation into a binary distribution with py2app or cx_Freeze.

Or embed the interpreter into your application if it's a C/C++/Obj-C based one: http://docs.python.org/extending/embedding.html

5. macrumors 603

Cromulent

It is highly unlikely that Apple will ship Python 3 with Mac OS X Lion.

Apple have stated that Lion will officially support OpenGL 3.2 but they may well implement some of the newer features via extensions, they just won't claim compatibility with the newer standards. That is what they did with Snow Leopard.

6. macrumors regular

7. macrumors 68040

It makes sense from Apples perspective to include a mature and widely adopted version as the default installation. If you want anything different you have to install it on your own.

http://python3wos.appspot.com/