Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
Apple really needs to adress the business world with this and come up with a solution that will work. The Mac App store is not currently set up to handle business accounts. So what is a business with 20-30 computers supposed to do for this? Plus there's the download it over and over problem. Do they seriously want us to download the entire OS for every computer in the company we upgrade. Plus theres the issue of clean installs. If they allow you to make a bootable DVD from it, then that will help, but I will be very surprised if they do that. From a sysadmin standpoint, this is a nightmare. They should at least offer the option for business customers to purchase physical media for an inflated price.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I guess I don't understand one thing: If someone is running an older version of OS X that does not support the app store, how are they supposed to upgrade?

You can't, apple says 10.6 is required. I'm having trouble imagining someone who doesn't have 10.6 yet who's mad they can't get 10.7 right away.

This isn't a new OS. This is just an update or an add-on to Snow Leopard.

How exactly do you define that? You could argue either way, it's just semantics. But it's hard to complain for $29. What features are missing that people want to see?

We have 5 Macs in our home. Apple is telling me we have to waste 20GB of bandwidth (Comcast data cap here) to update all our machines?

Nope, you download it on one then you can copy it to the other four.

...create a bootable USB stick or DVD.

Hopefully that is Apple's plan, they just need to release that info to take care of the worries.

And, as others have mentioned, how will we perform clean installs should the need arise (new HDD, fresh start, etc)? Will I have to install 10.6 only to have to re-download the 4GB Lion? This is bogus.

Nope, you just need 10.6 to run App store and download it, once you have the download you can do a fresh install straight from that. Reminds me of the people who were convinced that a 10.6 install would require installing 10.5 and upgrading since that OS was an "upgrade".

So now, I have to Install SL, download 4GB worth of data on each machine!, THEN instal Lion.

No you don't.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
For the people worried about restoring their Macs without a disc, the full overview of new features has an answer:

Internet Restore and Utilities

Built into Lion
OS X Lion includes a built-in restore partition, allowing you to repair or reinstall OS X without the need for discs.

Browse the web with Safari
Recovery mode now includes the Safari web browser, so you can check your email or browse the Apple Support site.

Reinstall OS X
OS X can be reinstalled on your Mac from recovery mode.

Restore from a Time Machine backup
Use recovery mode to restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I have an OS X 10.6.0 retail disk. When I do a clean install with it I think I have to do 4 GB of updates before it is ready. How do those people complaining manage to do to do a fresh install and updates with slow internet?

agmaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
This can be seen in a positive way

If you think about it, since it is download only Apple is not having to put it on thousands and thousands of dvd's. I bet if it were available on disk they would be charging $50 for any version and not just $30. If you download a disk image file from the MAS, you can burn it to your own blank dvd so you can use it to wipe your hard drive and reinstall 10.7 or other things having a dvd makes easy. I'm just happy that its $30, downloading isn't a problem having FIOS, but I know how people with slower download speeds are going to suffer a bit since I had DSL before.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
It's going to be interesting when it comes time to upgrade the 15 iMacs and 6 MBPs at the office. I really don't want to tie my Credit Card to other people's accounts and I don't think I'm allowed to tie my account to 21+ computers. I've been asking Apple for Corporate .me accounts for a while and recently for a single Corporate Apple ID account to purchase software. I just can't see how tying company owned software to an individual rather than a device is a good idea. People come and people go and managing Apple IDs and Credit Cards associated with them will be a nightmare for me.

I hope they get this right to help businesses manage their software. And maybe it's in the plan...till then I'm nervous. :eek:

jackeill

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Well... how do I upgrade from Leopard? Or even from Tiger? Kinda own goal... I'm stuck with 10.5 then. It has the best Expose anyway.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Bad credit then eh? Do you work in a "cash" only business?
I am quite fond of cash.

Žalgiris;12695071 said:
Burn your passport and credit cards too then. Go live the wild then, because now it's just hypocritical.
Activation is bad enough but you are not tied to a name, address, and credit card number. I really do not see a way around the sovereignty of nations in practical terms for me. Not to mention the additional risks and costs are far beyond just getting a passport.

If life ever gets bad enough I can always download a Linux distro over the free wireless at the library.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I love how apple isn't giving you guys options that sucks. Unfortunately thats how apple is they just do things their way and don't care who it leaves in the dust.

I think the whole Mac App Store is ridiculous in general.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Sweet. But I think I'm going to wait a few months to see how this OS experience is for users.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
For the people worried about restoring their Macs without a disc, the full overview of new features has an answer:

Built into Lion
OS X Lion includes a built-in restore partition, allowing you to repair or reinstall OS X without the need for discs.

Reinstall OS X
OS X can be reinstalled on your Mac from recovery mode.

Restore from a Time Machine backup
Use recovery mode to restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup.

But what if your HDD crashes? Then you have no restore partition nor recovery mode.

And Lion adds another partition to your HDD? That's certain to mess up people using Bootcamp or multiple partitions on their bood disk.

Also if you are tight on disk space you have to save 4GB plus the overhead instead of having it on external media.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Lame update...lame form of delivery.
This is iOS 5 for your Mac...... in the era of "the post PC revolution".
There you have it folks...straight from the horses mouth. :mad:

chipz

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Voorhees, NJ
Mac OS X Lion Set for July DebutPriced at $29.99, Mac App Store Exclusive

Too exclusive for me! I'm not about to spend hours downloading this OS to all my macs. Either give us a DVD or USB option, or I'll be staying with SL. And with no support for older programs, this stinks. No wonder Apple can't get its foot in the business world door. Most businesses like to stay with the old and reliable. Apple now requires you to download to all your computers (even though the price is great), but it also may not run your older software. Bummer! If this policy continues Apple may become the new Microsoft!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Built into Lion

FAIL if you've had a disk failure and have inserted a new hard drive.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The $30 pricepoint for all your machines is magical! Helped along only with the fact that Apple doesn't have to create any physical copies.

I would imagine that Lion would have a "create restore disc" option to burn a DVD or dedicate a USB for the purpose of restoring the OS on a computer.

I'm on my Windows 7 Netbook right now and I found that out - has a "create Windows 7 Restore Image" option - just attach a DVD burner to create the discs (in this case your system image) and your good to go...

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Apple is genius. Now, if you want the next version of the Mac OS, you have to register an Apple ID, which may encourage you to buy more things in the App Store and iTunes music store in the future.

Want a clean install? Buy a new Mac!

Apple is turning into Big Brother, if it hasnt already.

The lack of a DVD of OS X Lion is despicable. Canadians generally only get 25gb of bandwidth per month from Bell and each gigabyte after costs $2.00. My area does not support speeds faster than 2mbit, so a real life download speed of no better than 250kbps. A 4gb download of this would cripple most people on an already disgusting offering from a monopoly telecom company.

I expected better from Apple, such as, I don't know, TRIM support in OS X since they've been selling macs with SSDs for nearly 4 years now? And no, apple branded SSDs dont count, they're inferior to the offerings from Intel, OCZ, etc.

I really hate what Apple has become.

JorickF

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
Oh wow, so if I want Lion I'm going to have to buy Snow Leopard and then buy Lion? That's ridiculous.

(The reason why I don't have Snow Leopard yet is simply because my mac was still new when Snow Leopard got released and I decided to skip a version)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.