Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
I would like to know how I can send an attachment of a JPEG or any picture, basically, when I send a pic, I want the reciever to see the button that says this is an attachment and can click in order to download it into his hard drive, I do not want the pic to be in the content of the e-mail just there being displayed.

Thanks for your help

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If they are receiving it on a Windows machine, then it'll appear as an attachment anyway. Choose 'Send Windows-friendly attachments' as an option when sending the email...

Edit>Attachments>Always send Windows-friendly etc.

Even if they get it on a Mac, they will still be able to save the attachment from the email. Under the subject line will be a little grey arrow and a button... or under File>Save Attachments

It's just a way that Mail is displaying/previewing the attachment, it's not actually putting it in the body of the text as HTML...

Don't worry about it.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
If you control-click (right click if you have a two-button mouse) on the picture in your email, you get the option to 'display as icon', which you might find less annoying....

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i have a related question - when my dad sends pics to his AOL windows friends they cannot see them. he used to use netscape for mail and never had the problem, but since moving to Panther's Mail.app it always happens. i just emailed him gee's post about viewing as icon. that may help. has anyone else had this problem and figured out what to do about it?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ambrose Chapel said:
i have a related question - when my dad sends pics to his AOL windows friends they cannot see them. he used to use netscape for mail and never had the problem, but since moving to Panther's Mail.app it always happens. i just emailed him gee's post about viewing as icon. that may help. has anyone else had this problem and figured out what to do about it?
Try zipping it up - right/control click on the picture(s) to be sent, select 'Create Archive of "xxxxx"', then send that - it's a zip file, and Windows users should be able to see it. Fixed a problem my wife was having sending JPEGs to her AOL-using niece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.