Mac OS X Major Release planned in 4 days

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by digitalrampage, May 2, 2002.

?

In reaction to my response :

1. Have you been living in a cave

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Hmm, missed that one

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Interesting

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Yay

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. digitalrampage macrumors regular

Did I miss something people???

Read the below from

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc2002/

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Future of Mac OS X

During the week of May 6-10 in San Jose, California, WWDC 2002 attendees will be the first to explore the powerful new capabilities of the next major release of Mac OS X. And that's just for starters. At WWDC, you'll receive valuable access to Apple engineers and industry experts, all eager to help you create the world's best Mac OS X products.

--------------------------------------
    THE NEXT MAJOR RELEASE OF MAC OS X.. DID I MISS SOMETHING???
    --------------------------------------
    WWDC 2002 offers over 100 in-depth technical sessions covering a wide range of technology topics. Throughout the week, a variety of special events and activities bring developers and Apple engineers together in a fun and casual environment. 4
    Days Left
    Until WWDC!

View Daily Schedules

Monday, May 6
    Tuesday, May 7
    Wednesday, May 8
    Thursday, May 9
    Friday, May 10

2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Its only going to be a preview! Its not going to be released for months probably.

3. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

think you missed this a lot, wh've been discussing that sneak peek, as Apple calls it, for a couple of weeks now.

Just wondering though, are there any Developers here posting, who will be visiting WWDC?

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Where's the vote option for "A preview is not a major release"? ;)

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i should go then if they let me in...but i am a hardware techie, not a software techie so i wouldn't get much out of it

a new relaese of os x would be cool and though os x took longer than that 12 month clock proposed, it is coming along

photoshop not being out was a major setback i think

6. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

sneak-a-peak = DP

Where is the vote option for: "Sneak-Peak = DP" :confused:

If OS X 10.? (2 or 5 or ?) is still on a track for release by MWNY the developers (and when I say developers I don't mean just Adobe and Microsoft) need access to it. It's pretty clear that the new OS X release will include more than just 'spit-n-polish'. PPC Optomized GCC 3.x and The Injection of CUPS are just two things that I know of. New compilers and a totally new printing architecture are pretty major changes and while I'm sure Apple is going to do everything in it's power to make these updates (and the others that I'm sure exist but don't know about) as painless as possible, developers will need time to do their own testing (for their own sanity as well as Apples).

Remember even if Apple could test/confirm that EVERYTHING that was ever developed for OS X still works under the new OS changes (they can't) it doesn't speak about anything 'under development' by a developer and now broken with the new release.

The one thing WWDC will do is give us some level of confirmation as to the readyness of OS X 10.2 (.5 .?)... If the sneak-a-peak is just that then I'd bet against a 10.2 release for MWNY. But, if the sneak-a-peak turns into a 'developer preview' (handed out to ALL who attend) then MWNY should be a great one.

Dave

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: sneak-a-peak = DP

I like the thought of that one. This way changes and updates to software will be available when we get the OS update. I don't want to have to wait around for photoshop again!:D

8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Preview

Ya I have a thread in software rumors about WWDC. From what I can tell it will be a priview, but it would be sweet if they actually realesed it!