Mac OS X Mantinence

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DickArmAndHarT, Sep 8, 2004.

1. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    I have a 15" PB that i got about a less than a year ago and it seems to be running slower than when I first got it and its been causing me some trouble latly. For instance i just bought and external hd and i always have an ipod plugged into it and if its asleep and Im putting it back on my desk i plug those things in before i open the lid and when i do it wont respond. My internal hd is pretty full 60 gig 56 used and could that have a effect on proformance. I used to have a PC and i remeber defragmenting the drive and other mantinece to keep the machine running smooth(although it never did DELL) is there similar thing i should be doing with this. Thank

2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Mac OS X does maintenance every night. However, if your computer is turned off or is asleep, this maintenance won't get done. You can force the maintenance by typing 'sudo /etc/daily' in Terminal (don't type the ' characters). It should ask for your password, after which it will perform its daily maintenance.

Once the daily maintenance has finished, you can do the weekly and monthly with the following commands:

sudo /etc/weekly
    sudo /etc/monthly

Note that weekly may take a few minutes.

Alternatively, you can use the command 'sudo periodic daily weekly monthly' to do all 3 at once, but you won't receive any feedback as to what's happening.

Another important thing to do every month or so is to repair permissions. Open Disk Utility, click your HD on the left, and choose Repair Disk Permissions from the panel on the right. This takes several minutes.

Hopefully your system will perform better once you have done this :)
  3. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    easy way to do it is to install Cocktail app.

as for defragmentation, that is a problem and can be solved with proper partitioning of your hard drive - force the system to about 12GB partition and the system files will stay there no matter what, and then mount the second partition to /Users mount point to isolate the system partition from almost all write activity (those numerous little files in user library are the main reason for a system slowdown. the user library fragments the drive over time, and there's nothing to prevent it from happening. but you can isolate those user libraries from your system partition.)

the trick after partitioning is to modify /etc/fstab file - you should make the 2nd partition act as the /Users folder and after that modofication all write activity to /Users/whatever will happen to the 2nd partition. nice and easy ;)