Mac OS X on a Palm

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by voyagerd, Jul 13, 2002.

1. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

2. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

That is absolutely incredible. I wonder what palm it its. It probabl doesn't matter, but it has to be either a palm IIIc, m505, 515, or 130.

People can do the impossibe sometimes...he should get an award for that.

-Pete

3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

This was talked about in another thread. I think it was considered a fake. Good fake, though

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Didn't Handspring do that as an April Fool's joke one year?

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

That was a Palm IIIc. You could see the logo during the startup movie. Do you know how slow the processor is in a Palm IIIc? Or any Palm device, for that matter. People whine about Aqua on G3s, and they're faster by an order of magnitude than what's in a Palm. This is about as believable as showing OS X running on a wristwatch.

6. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

A handheld OS X device with one of those iPod mini hard drives is a great idea. But lets face facts - the only people who could feasably port OS X to a Palm are Apple, that's if it is even possible.

This is clearly some hack were they've plugged a Mac into the screen of a Palm - you can actually see the monitor cable trailing from the bottom of the device. Very amusing that they stuck a hard drive onto the back of the Palm to add "authenticity"!

7. job macrumors 68040

job

Or on 33 Mhz. :D :D

8. lynfordd macrumors newbie

MacOSX on Palm

I understand their is a Beta copy on MacOXLite in use in 100 Or sp Palm units around the US.... This may be a copy of that.
    It is to Run FieMaker Also And Work with SprintPcs Phone System

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

well I undertsand this is one of the best fakes out there

10. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

aren't those the same screen images that were on the iWalk that spymac made such a big deal about? my memory's a little off.

11. lynfordd macrumors newbie

I- Thing

Well we may know somthing this weekl. I bet its not a FAKE!
    Gates in Seattle says his STUPID Tablet with some kind of Stupid windows OS thing is to ship by xMass so I bet we see somthing REALY cool and that works from Apple by the end of the YEAR! When Steve stoped our Wonderful NEWTON production he said Apple will return some day with a PDA!...... This could be the Time..... I do know SprintPCS is working on some kind of PDA with Someone and it could be Apple..... And I do Know FILE MAKER is Ready now and waiting. That what the Newton wanted so bad and never got to see it... So all is lining up for SOMTHING REALY Big and WONDERFUL!

12. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

or you be really nieve and actually think that apple would (could) port their os, even if it was system 1, to a palm. and besides, why would they use such big icons, windows, etc. on such a small screen? it's a total fake, even my little sister (who is six) could tell it was fake.

13. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

I wouldn't be suprised if it was possible to port Darwin onto PDA, afterall, similar things have been done with Linux - another UNIX.

I doubt that Aqua would work on a Palm - certainly not at an acceptable speed!

14. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Keep in mind that it is not only running X, its running Jaguar. DOubt that thing can run Quartz.

Anyway, nice to see all the new faces. always around expo time:D

15. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

16. neilt macrumors regular

Watch the Navigation video frame by frame. Notice that the first menu pops up before the pen actually touches the screen. Whereas the next screen pauses nearly a half second before popping up.

i would think that this pretty much shows it is an altered video.

neilt

17. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

It probably shows that the video is being piped in from a nearby cable using the poorly concealed cable coming out of the bottom of the device. The actions are being performed by a hidden operator using the Mac and a mouse. The guy holding the device then has to mimic these action with the stylus on the Palm screen - the reason it's not always synched is because he's not very good at doing this!