Mac OS X on PC platform

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by ryanweb, Aug 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors member

Will it be possible someday to use Mac OS X on PC hardware?

I think this could be a big boost for Apple and nice alternative to Windows.

2. Administrator

blakespot

This will never happen. Yes, you can run Darwin, the core kernel BSD distribution of OS X on the PC, but you will never be able to run OS X. Apple's profits are tied to hardware more than the OS at this point, and they seem to be having some success at it.

I feel this is the way it will remain for the forseeable future.

blakespot

3. Administrator

blakespot

...and a large part of the OS X advantage is and will continue to be the fact that Apple is spec'ing the hardware and software--they are the only mainstream vendor who controls both sides of the coin. This puts them into a unique position.

blakespot

4. macrumors member

not smart

This wouldn't be to smart, because even though mac software might get a boost, it wouldn't be enough to combat the hardware loss.

5. macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I don't know...

eventually it might prove to be beneficial for Apple to release OS X for the PC. First off, us diehard fans will never deal with PC hardware ever again. But a lot of us aren't diehards. Apple would lose a lot of money if they did it now. But...when Intel releases the Itanium, it's clock speeds are much much lower than the P4, therefore they will have to deal with the megahertz myth crap. Right now I read that they are stuck at 800mhz on their Itanuim, whereas Motorola is rumored to already have 1Ghz PPC chips. If in maybe 6 months to a year, Apple is competing against hardware that is at a slower clock speed than G4 machines, AND they release OS X for the PC, then that might attract enough potential buyers to make it beneficial. The public is dumb, and a nice NON Microsoft, easy to use, stable, fast operating system on a faster chip in a mac would be a big seller.

We have to realize though, that Apple might not have the resources or connections to make it happen. The big thing would be supporting hardware. Right now basically a very small percentage of upgrade cards come with mac drivers, and that means that either Apple will have to set out making a driver for each possible card (making OS X much like windows), or each card manufacturer would have to package OS X drivers themselves. Either way, this is VERY doubtfull. It think that for now we should forget it, unless a G4 card is made to run mac software on a PC without slowing anything down.

-Pete

6. macrumors newbie

Why?

Why would you want to?

7. macrumors 65816

evildead

I sencond that...

Why would you want to do that? Part of the reason that Apple software runs so well beause it runs on Apple hardware. Windows has to run on all kinds of configurations. MS has no controle over the hardware they run on so most of the time it fails. I knew a guy that put a Porcha engin in to a VW beetle. Why?

8. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

It's un-mac like

Mac fans buying a PC.. Am I the only one who things that isn't a good idea?

9. macrumors 65816

evildead

Its not that bad of an idea

I am a geek.... true I have a prefrence for the Mac and the Apple OS but I due ues other platforms. UNIX, Solaris, Linux, Windows. I do have a winBox that I have to use some times. And it is not a bad idea to have muliple CPUs with mulitple OS's. But I would never want to put Mac OS on a PC. Just would seem wrong.

10. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

It would be bad for Pc's & Mac's

Both would suffer. Sure I would like multiple OS on my Hd but it's not coming very soon. And if a company did switch then who would make the mac Os come to the PC ?

11. macrumors 6502

A new OS

I will one day make a NeutralOS called (Neutrino) which will be like Universal donor blood type and can run all pc files and mac files. Ofcourse it will take the best features of OSX and Windows. It will be the ultimate piece of programming and I ask you people, will you join me? We will begin this project after 4 years. LETS DO IT!! Whos in= (im not kidding)

- an ambitious Kela

12. macrumors member

The idea is not to move Mac fans to PC hardware, but to expand Apple presence on the market.
    Most people don't care about the platform, they just want to buy a computer, and right now it will be the PC with Windows most of the times. That's bad!
    So may be Apple should give people at least a choice?

13. macrumors member

surely Apple could expand their presence when the itanium comes out. reverse the mhz myth, why would u ever want osX running on a beige block, does seem right...

14. macrumors member

Doh
    doesn't seem right
    (see above message)

15. macrumors member

Re:bobky

The reason is simple: to shrink Windows domination as much as possible!

16. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: A new OS

There is no Good features about Windows. What that it is Slow? No, that's bad. ah, I need help, what good features. Oh I know the many useless program's made for only Windows. There. And I'll help you Kela. It will eat you Hd and will have many problems, But Lets try!

17. macrumors 6502

Mcm'man!!

Yess!! Thats two people including me. So who else is in. We need OS programmers thats it. I know you guys think im kiddin but im not. Let me finish my university then im all set. Macman are you studyin too?

18. macrumors newbie

Yes it has been done, back in 92 Apple had a secret project to port OS 7 to run on a 486. It was successful, an engineering triumph, but they decided to shelve the project as to not snuff Motorola who was then preparing the Power PC chip. .
    Controlling both hardware and OS is a double edged sword. Right from the beginning, with the Apple II, the focus has always been hardware first. Providing much success initially, but hurting them in the long run.
    If they licensed the Mac OS back in the 80's what a different story this may have been !

19. macrumors 68030

mischief

EESH!!!

It's inevitable, the market power of wintel boxes is in the fluidity of elements. All hardware is being driven the same direction. All software is likewise being driven towards BSD. The possibility of OS X on wintel boxes is not aimed at Hardcore Macfans like us but at the PC consumer that's gotten used to getting screwed. OS X has no drivers in the traditional sense so that's a non-issue. The mac-hardware advantage will make itself apparent when it becomes obvious that even the Mhz myth has come back to slap intel in the face when Itanium is overshadowed by G5@ 1+ Ghz with more similar stats (shorter pipeline, etc.)

Besides, there's a more tantalizing (or frightening) bit of evidence: X Windows. Hello, two OS's from two companies that have never been as adversarial as their customers, that have only gotten closer with time(you'll notice Apple had nothing to say about the Antitrust case) coming out with two BSD based OS's with freaky-similar features just when Intel's going RISC???

Has it occured to anyone like there may BE a universal OS already? Doesn't anyone realize that Microsoft has been using Macs in house FOR YEARS because they actually WORK. Never assume that your disdain for a **** OS carries into Apple's corporate relationship with Gates land.

20. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Kela

If we what this thing done before i'm sixty then we need more then one Os programmer, and what is ur Specialty? I can test it I have nothing to do most days. I have nothing to help out on a New Os. Sorry. If you can think of a pesion then e-mail me.

21. macrumors member

Ever hear of the BeOS? Okay, so there was a x86 version and PPC version, big deal. It was pretty close to what you're talking about and it was awesome. Throw a dock in there, the aqua interface, and voila. Unfortunately, there'd be no UNIX kernel, but still, it worked.

22. macrumors 68030

mischief

Cider

I came up with an idea for an OS a while back: Real simple, no jargon, no error messages, an OS for Kiosks, Morons, Drunks, non-geeks, technophobes, etc. I called it Cider (Apple for drunks). HUGE buttons on a desktop with no other features, buttons like:Do Stuff, Look Up Stuff, Games, Go Shopping, etc.

I was selling to the public and the Imac drive of 2000 was into the spring and sucking the dead pondscum off the bottom of the market. Most persistent user errors?:

Not Quitting applications (I'm serious, people would crash their machines or load them to the point where they'd function at half speed or worse)

Not trashing or failing to empty the trash for months on end.

re-installing the system with the "save and install" option and getting lost. Resulting in a schitzoid, nearly unrecoverable mess.

The thing that makes OS's such a pain in the ass is the average IQ of a consumer when you take culture and Dialect shock JUST USING THE MACHINE into account. Otherwise intelligent folk would do stupid things because they're neither Geek or Academic. The "Killer OS" will have to be self-repairing/restarting and rediculously simple. OS X is close but still too full of jargon for the poor average (Make it go) schmuck who buys (say) a cube.

Case in Point: one (otherwise intelligent ) couple bought a cube and didn't take off the scratch-film packing material because IT WASN"T SPECIFICALLY IN THE UNPACKING INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!
    the poor little cube was stuck in a restart loop because the film of plastic was setting off the power button on both the machine and 15" LCD. I removed the film and discovered that they had fried it's start-board into that loop. Our store had to eat 1200.00+ for their idiocy. Any technophile would know better, but you have to keep in mind, not everybody is and, The average idiot is now using one of the most convoluted, evil OS's ever devised .

Mac OS for the PC would really give Bill a run of it. Market analists be damned.

23. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

You mind

Telling me where to buy this os? Please, I have newbie Parent's Friend so I would like to install this to help them.

24. macrumors 6502a

cloud is sperm

Come on people, think about it. It makes sense to port OSX to the PC. So roll a spliff, take a vodka & orange, and hang on with me on this rollercoaster tour.

It makes sense to port OSX to the PC because it would allow apple to put their foot in the door of the PC market (which is what they have being dying to do).
    Personally i believe this port would succeed even if it wasnt as good as the mac OSX, just because of the extreme "anti-microsoft" attitude every1 has right now.
    Also if they made OSX a stable, powerful and user friendly OS on the PC, businesses would ditch their ****** windows and go for OSX, and who follows what businesses do? yes u guessed it my chums the "PC user" and the "PC using family".
    And thats all very lardy dar, a bit like a green matt grape really.
    More to the point though is, once OSX has put apples foot in the door then PC users will realise (after much masturbation) that OSX on the mac is so much faster than OSX on the PC, so they will start to buy mac hardware aswell as software.
    I think that if apple is going to make a move on the PC market then it has to be now just because Intel and Microsoft are producing **** and people have just realised that, also in a few years AMD will have conquered the PC market....right now though they aint got the publicity.
    So strike while the iron is hot and mind your testacles, do let me know wot u think of my take on it.
    Im off to smooth coloured water.

25. macrumors 68030

mischief

bingo

Yeah, that's it Spikey, exactly. Bill has proved that oppression builds Empires, but he has forgotten that Oppressed people eventually revolt. OS X for the PC could change the market the way a mass press and Telegraph network changed the political climate between 1700 and 1920. 600+ for Office, are they nuts? No, says Bill: let them eat cake. Tyrants rarely see it coming. The public rarely sees it either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.