Mac OS X on PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by mikeyredk, Dec 29, 2006.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
    So has anyone actually done it? Read the thread back in 2005 about how they say it might support it curious to see if it actually happened
  2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
  3. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    Apple will never support it. Sony will never support it.

People with a lot of time on their hands and very determined probably will do it. If people can load up Linux onto the Dreamcast, PS, PS2, Xbox, and PS3, I dont see why OSX cant be loaded on to the PS3.
  4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Because we don't have much in the way of source, unlike linux, which can be recompiled for just about anything
  5. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    Linux is official on the PS2, and will be on the PS3
  6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    That comment was way overdone. The guy said nothing more than 'it can theoretically run any operating system anyone wanted to port to it, including Linux or Windows or Mac'. He never said they were even thinking about it.
  7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2006
    ive discussed this already, its easier to get osx running on x86 hardware than the ppc version running on anything other than mac hardware due to ppc looking for a specific chip, to my understanding it wont even run on ibm ppc machines. what would be cool is if someone could get hold of the xbox360 dev kit G5 and get 360 games running on quad G5s lol
  8. Josias macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2006
    I think you should abandon this thread. It's gona be wastelanded when a mod sees it I expect.
  9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I doubt's fine to discuss whether something like this has been done, which is what the OP asked about. It is, however, against forum rules to discuss how one would go about doing it.
  10. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Seems to me a PS3 with its paltry 256 MB of RAM would have a hard time running OS X. For that matter, I wouldn't want to try running Windows on an Xbox 360, either.

These are gaming machines, not general-purpose computers.
  11. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Just try Yellow Dog Linux 5. I installed it and it works fine, but remember your playstation 3 is a game machine not a computer use to type term papers on open office.
  12. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Interesting, because I've heard that the PPC version of OS X will run unmodified on generic (non-Apple) PowerPC hardware. Of course, that could've been a load of rubbish.
  13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Well, sort of. It runs unmodified as long as you run Mac-On-Linux. Actually it's the x86 version that has hardware-based copy protection, so it has to be hacked to run on anything non-Apple.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    The PS3 is anything BUT generic PowerPC hardware.

The single PowerPC core it DOES have is very stripped down (much like the 360's, but the 360 has more of them), lacking out-of-order execution. And it's tied to all the other SPE's that Mac OS X would have no idea even what they are let alone how to utilize.
  15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    Ken Kuturagi said that last year to help drum up hype and keep PS3 sales, as they kept delaying it.

The market for Playstation 3 is already starting to die out.

My store has been getting them returned like crazy. We got a shipment of 70 in, only sold 10 by the end of the day. The rest are being held for the 31st ad.
  16. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    Apple would never combine with Sony and Sony wouldn't allow it either. I got a PS3 and even i dont wanna see OSX on Sony's machines