Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deepy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Ok i just saw a thread that got closed (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/222052/) and wanted to know why its illegal to install OS X on a PC? and secondly why the thread was closed?

To be honest, i dont really care if its possible or not lol..just curious to know why it'd be illegal.

Cheers!

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Apple says that OS X is for Apple Computers only.

It is just like how Microsoft says that you can only use one copy of Windows per computer, or how Ford says that they have no intention of fixing, looking at, or even discussing your Dodge if it breaks down 47 miles away from their shop.

It is just the way the world works.

deepy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Oh cool cool. Fair enough to apple then.

It would be interesting if Apple started letting Mac OS being installed on PCs. I'm guessing so many windows users will be curious to try it - and once they do they might not want to go back to windows - and maybe then be more confident in shelling out for an actual Mac.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
deepy said:
Oh cool cool. Fair enough to apple then.

It would be interesting if Apple started letting Mac OS being installed on PCs. I'm guessing so many windows users will be curious to try it - and once they do they might not want to go back to windows - and maybe then be more confident in shelling out for an actual Mac.

Nope. Those skilled enough to know what an OS is will pirate OSX and put it on their cheap boxes. There would be no incentive to get a Mac at all.

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Just like Microsoft's report that says that 20% of all systems that have installed Windows Genuine Advantage have been determined to be using pirated volume license keys or individuals using one copy on as many as 5 separate computers simultaneously on the same network.

It would sure say a lot if 20% of the world's desktop computers suddenly shut off because Microsoft was tired of giving people a free ride.

Sure, it would mean that by comparison, OS X market share would be around 18%, Linux at 15% and Windows at a whopping 67% Market Share with a whole lot not counted as they would not be running anything.

(These numbers are based on the sales numbers of all computer manufacturers over the past 5 years. Information has come from Wikipedia and the 5 year mark was chosen by the US IRS as the Mean Operational Life of a Computer.)

deepy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Yes yes you all have very very fair points and i'm not going to argue at all lol.

I dont really have an opinion on any of this. I'm not pro-piracy or against it. I use what i want and pay for what i like.

But another question regarding
Nope. Those skilled enough to know what an OS is will pirate OSX and put it on their cheap boxes. There would be no incentive to get a Mac at all.

Havent people already pirated OS X and patched it to work with PCs anyway?

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
To be exact, there has never been a copy of Mac OS X for Intel that has not already been tied directly to a piece of Apple hardware. Apple has never sold Mac OS X for Intel without hardware, so there are no legal copies of Mac OS X for Intel that can be put on any additional hardware beyond those that the software came with.

Further, your license to use Apple's operating system comes from owning Apple hardware. The Apple computer is itself your license key for using an Apple operating system.

In all reality, Apple has never sold an OS on it's own. They have sold computers with operating systems preinstalled, and they have sold upgrades to those operating systems. But even the boxed versions of the Mac OS assume that you have an Apple computer... which in turn assumes that it must have originally come with an Apple operating system. Those boxed versions are an upgrade to the original (or any subsequent) operating system you have on that hardware and (again) that hardware is your license to use that operating system.

The only exception to all this are the clones. But in their case, they all came with an Apple operating system originally and your license to run any newer operating system on them comes directly from the original operating system they came with.

So even when Apple starts selling boxed versions of Mac OS X for Intel (after the release of Mac OS X v10.5), it will still be illegal to install those on generic PCs as they are (in fact) upgrades for Apple's Intel based hardware which originally shipped with 10.4.x.

... remember, your Apple hardware is your license key to running Mac OS X.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
What about those ol' Mac clones (Power Computing, UMAX etc.)

It was possible to buy Mac OS 9 and install that on a clone? Or was it illegal?
I must admit, I have never used (or even seen) a Mac clone...

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Maybe Apple should release a "trial" version of OSX for pc's:D

Then everyone will be so happy with OSX, and get a mac:)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
MacsRgr8 said:
What about those ol' Mac clones (Power Computing, UMAX etc.)

RacerX said:
The only exception to all this are the clones. But in their case, they all came with an Apple operating system originally and your license to run any newer operating system on them comes directly from the original operating system they came with.

:)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
deepy said:
Ok i just saw a thread that got closed (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/222052/) and wanted to know why its illegal to install OS X on a PC? and secondly why the thread was closed?

There are two different questions here.

First, making a copy of MacOS X and installing it anywhere is illegal. Making a copy of any software without permission of the copyright holders is illegal (although there is quite a lot of software around where the copyright holder gives you permission). So if you wanted to install MacOS X on a PC, the first thing you would have to do is buying an Intel Macintosh (that is the only way at the moment to get a legal copy of MacOS X for Intel), delete it from the Macintosh, and install it on the PC. That way, you have only one copy of MacOS X. If you have two copies installed, there is no doubt whatsoever that it is illegal.

The other question is whether or not you are allowed to run MacOS X on a PC at all. You would have to read the license for MacOS X very carefully. Apple clearly doesn't allow you to install MacOS X anywhere else. Same happens with most PC that ship with Windows installed; you have no permission to install Windows on a different PC. For example, if your PC that you bought with Windows preinstalled is broken, you can't buy another PC without Windows and install the version from the old PC. However, nobody knows hundred percent sure if that restriction is legal. It most certainly depends on what country you are living in. And you might not want to be the first who tries out and goes to court.

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
deepy said:
Havent people already pirated OS X and patched it to work with PCs anyway?

Supposedly, but it takes a lot, a LOT of work and a lot of know-how. I think they did it just for bragging rights rather than actual functionality. Someone correct me if i'm wrong?

deepy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
JurgenWigg said:
Supposedly, but it takes a lot, a LOT of work and a lot of know-how. I think they did it just for bragging rights rather than actual functionality. Someone correct me if i'm wrong?

I just looked up a how-to on doing this. It seems quite straight forward. Not sure about the actual functionality though. Hardset part of the how-to would be getting a copy of the dvd image - only legal way is to be a developer.

I'm tempted to do this but seeing as I should be ordering my macbook in the next week or so i might as well not break any laws for no reason.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
projectle said:
.... Ford says that they have no intention of fixing, looking at, or even discussing your Dodge ....
This is absolutely untrue. Afterall, you may have bought the Dodge from the Ford dealer's used car lot.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Blue Velvet said:

just playing devils advocate but their is, mac laptops are top notch, i could never stand any bulk thick grey plastic covered pc notebook, the AIO market is owned by apple and apples workstation priceing has always been competitive.

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
however not everyone's willing to pay a $150 premium for a black laptop, and in these days when you can pick up a decent laptop dirt cheap and prices of dell, gateway, and HP are plummeting faster than they can cut corners, people are going to go with what's the best value, meaning quality for the price, and when you can walk into a store and pick up a laptop that'll do just fine for under $400, trying to shell out more than double that for a mac seems more than it's worth.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Three reasons

1. In the US and most western countries, copyright law makes it illegal to duplicate software created by someone else (ie, Apple Computer, Inc.) Downloading OS X, or copying the CD that came with someone's Intel Mac, is thus against the law.

(And, of course, there is no way to buy the Intel version of OS X without buying an Intel Mac.)

2. The Licensing Agreement, often called a "EULA," specifically prohibits users from installing OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac. So even if you bought an Intel Mac and tried to install the copy of OS X that came with it on a PC, you'd be in trouble.

3. OS X includes copy-protection features designed to keep you from breaking the law (1) or the licensing agreement (2.) Circumventing these copy-protection features is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA, an unpopular but powerful law in the US. Several other countries have similar laws.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
dextertangocci said:
Maybe Apple should release a "trial" version of OSX for pc's:D

Then everyone will be so happy with OSX, and get a mac:)

Most people don't know what an OS is let alone what a Mac is. Only people who'd use OSX for PCs will be the hackers and they'll pirate the os anyway. MS makes its billions through HP, Dell, and Sony selling Windows on their computers (and business support, etc.).

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
MacsRgr8 said:
Eh.... ah.... ahum.... :eek:

Sorry, RacerX.
That's okay. My posts tend to run a little long... even I some times stop reading them half way through. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.