Mac OS X Panther Server in Linux mag

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by appleguy, Aug 5, 2004.

1. appleguy macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2002
    Auckland, NZ
    Many of you may have seen the phenomenal review of Panther Server in
    the August issue of Linux Magazine. *It is awarded 5 out of 5 penguins,
    a "Must Buy" by the reviewer, Martin Streicher. *He states that, "after
    spending more than two months with two servers running Panther Server,
    I can only say that I'm blown away. ?Panther Server is a joy to use." *
    He concludes, *"Mac OS X Panther Server is phenomenal server software -
    perfect for any network whether or not the network includes Macintosh
    computers. *Panther Server is a X!" *The article couldn't be more
    positive, and strongly reiterates our core messaging for Mac OS X
    Server: *Open source made easy.

The article is not yet available on Linux Magazines' online site, but this issue of the magazine is being given away to all attendees at this week's Linux World Expo in San Francisco.

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Wow ... that's great! I hope many people in the "enterprise business" read it.
  3. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    That's really great! We can only hope that some CIO read the article as well.
  4. macsrus macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2004
    Terra Firma

Yes it was a nice read...
    Only problem is it still wont sell that much...
    Because after all it still only runs on a MAC/Xserve...

Not that there is anything wrong with MACs/Xserves...
    Its just that most Linux servers run on Intel.... and People who run em probably wouldnt be considering buying an Xserve anyway....
  5. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    i hope apple can keep up with the demand for xserves, it looks like they are starting to be very good value.

i hope this artical will go some way into stoping linux users bashing mac os x saying it's not a proper unix ect. linux is an excellent os and i plan to use it over the next few years, but linux users so piss me off somewhat.
  6. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    I'd like to read that

If anyone could find a link or way to post it, I would be much appreciative.
  7. ltgator333 macrumors member

Jul 6, 2003
    Albion, MI
    that is really good, it's seriously the first time I've heard of hardcore Linux users NOT trashing OS X (server or home, any version) to some extent- some are very mild about it, others are pretty bad. But it's a common thing between users of different OSes really so no biggie. I think the big problem is that the Linux community as a whole would like the unique thing about they're OS be that it's open-source, and when things like the many flavors of BSD dirivatives out there (including to some extent Darwin) show up and/or become more mainstream, all the sudden Linux isn't so unique anymore. I think though now that everyone's gotten used to the new players in town, most notably OS X, they've come to accept that it's a darn good OS and deserves a little praise at least.
    Next, I want to hear a Linux user talk good about FreeBSD.....
  8. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    maybe u could post it on one of those free websites and link it here?
  9. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I frankly fail to see what anyone can find wrong about Mac OS X as compared to Linux, unless a completely open-source system is desired or else the low-end road is being taken.

A lot of software (Games and stuff that relative to OS X is often redundant) works better on Linux/IA32 than on Mac OS X/PowerPC, but I've never seen Linux run MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, iLife, QuickTime, or Lotus Notes without Windows emulation software.

OS X is also generally easier to use, configure, and update.

OS X does tend to cost more than x86 Linux, but much of that is that it only runs on quality name brand hardware such as the Xserve and Power Mac, though I imagine that OS X Server can theoretically run on anything iBook on up. You can't make a DIY machine and load a free OS on it if you want OS X, though you can certainly get Darwin for IA32 or PPC free of cost. In the end, which is better depends on your circumstances: if you are a Mac shop, or want good GUI and it's going to be either OS X or Windows, there is not much contest; this is also the case for if you like the value factor of Mac hardware. However, if you want to use a cheap computer and not have to pay a penny in any way for software, an x86 Linux server is probably for you.
  10. macnews macrumors 6502a

May 12, 2003
    Cheap is the key word. Since this article was talking about Panther server I think that is a key point. If all you are doing is very basic file serving w/not many users or need for bandwidth than Linux might be great. From what I have learned by talking to other people who implement Linux servers they tend to buy high end Intel machines to get the good networking components and then install Linux themselves (although HP I think is now shipping some servers with Linux installed).

To be honest, I think some CIS people are worried if Apple becomes more main stream they will be out of jobs! For example, I just bought an Xserve with Xraid. Talk about easy to set up! I was worried, since I never worked with a RAID array before, I would have some problems and need a lot of help. Turns out, Apple ships the Xraid preconfigured as a RAID 5 array - which is exactly what I wanted (based on pre-buy research). Now, if you don't want a RAID 5 things would require some more steps but even then it isn't too difficult. Setting up users and groups - simple (I actually imported a bunch from my Jaguar server on a G4 tower). Everything from sharepoints, users/groups, email, ftp has been relatively easy. I don't need to know command line stuff, the gui works great - and like the rest of OS X if you do know command line or more tech stuff you can really make it hum. The point is you don't NEED to know that. A year ago I watched a friend set up a linux server, I would not be able to do that on my own. With Panther server my CIS guy (I work at a university so actually the University CIS guy) just comes in and double checks to make sure all my settings are secure. He spends an hour checking my machine compared to how many hours it would take were it Linux or, God forbid, Windows server.