Mac OS X Public Beta

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macrlz9, Feb 22, 2005.

1. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Anyone know where i can get my hands on a copy of OS X Public Beta??? I'd really like to play around with it to try it... although as of right now i don't have a computer that can run it, i have a Mac mini and a 2002 iBook... but still i'd really like to have a copy to try out....

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Shoot, I just threw away 3 or 4 copies of it last week cleaning out my old office in prep for a move to a new one. :(

3. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

aww that sucks so bad!!!!!! i really would like a copy!!!

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You're not talking about Tiger, are you? I must be missing something.

5. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

no i actually am a developer and have tiger, i'm using it now but i was wanting the mac os x public beta before mac os x even came out... they sold like 20 dollar copies of mac os x beta to the public....

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

The public beta was one useless piece of crap! No software to run on it.

Why are you interested in this? I'm doubting much OSX software out there now would run on it...

7. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

because i'd like to see how it all started since i didn't have a mac when public beta first came out. why does everyone always try to convince me i don't want it? lol they think that i don't know what i'm getting myself into. so anyone have a copy i could play around with?

8. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Not trying to convince you, but just letting you know that installing it on a clean partition of your drive may not be worth your time. The look hasn't changed much, it just works better.

Can't help you though. I threw mine out right after installing it. I guess they have some sort of historical significance. Try ebay?

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What makes you think that the OS X Public Beta won't run on a Mac mini or a 2002 iBook?

10. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

tried ebay, and searching online. i really liked how the menubar and titlebars of windows had shadows under the text, i thought that looked awesome!

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm pretty sure I still have my CD-ROMs for it. I've kinda been hanging onto them for sentimental purposes. ;)

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Same here.

I even somewhere have an iMac Rev A with Mac OS X Server 1.2 (Rhapsody) on it, just for looking at :)

It's fun to see the changes starting from NeXTSTEP, Rhapsody, Mac OS X DP's, Public Beta, 10.0 till now. Servers too. 10.0.3. Server was pretty bad.... also the server admin tools were identical to the ASIP 6 toos. Still very excited once you got your copy and could install it for the first time!

Now look at 10.3 and 10.4 Server... :cool:

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I actually have *two* copies of the Public Beta - no, I did not buy 2 - the first got "lost in transit" so they replaced it, then a couple weeks later the original showed up and they said just keep it....PM me here if you want one of them....oh yeah!

14. RacerX macrumors 65832

:rolleyes: Hmmmm... that isn't a very accurate statement. There was software that ran on it, the same software that was running on Mac OS X DP4 (as the public beta was just a paired down version of DP4). There wasn't much in the way of Carbon apps, but there was Cocoa apps.

Some of the apps I used with the Public Beta:
    OmniWeb
    OmniPDF
    OmniOutliner
    Create
    Fetch
    AppleWorks
    TIFFany3
    PixelNhance
    HTMLEdit
    PDFComposer
    Mesa3​
    There wasn't much that I needed to do that I couldn't do in the Public Beta. Still, Apple had turned off much of the features so I tended to work with Rhapsody more (I just liked it better).

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

16. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Okay. Not much I could do except play around. None of those apps do anything for me. I did play a few games of chess, but I found it to be a completely unproductive place to be. I guess it wasn't really meant to be used in a production environment (design house), but it was certainly neat to see it running on my beige box at the time. I would have scrolled by all those apps not knowing what they were. I guess it was meant more for developers. I just wanted a look...

17. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

awesome, i'm assuming it's not possible to run an older os on a newer mac....... i bet this could be easily over come don't you think? is there some kind of emulator for mac os x that emulates another os x session? if we can run windows i bet we could run an older os x on a newer mac?? other than that my only possiblity would be my old powermac 8500....

18. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well I do software training as part of my job... which means I have to be able to learn a piece of software very fast. Usually I cover titles like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive, QuarkXPress, Freehand, Dreamweaver and other big name software. But just because most people have only heard of the big names doesn't mean that they are the only solution to any productivity situation.

Lets look at that list (with a couple additions) again...
    OmniWeb- browser, HTML editor
    Create- illustration, page layout, web design
    PStill- PDF distiller
    TIFFany3/PixelNhance- high end image editing and processing
    HTMLEdit- HTML editing
    SliceAndDice/GIFfun- web graphics​
    I was able to do just about everything I was able to do with Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, QuarkXPress and GoLive back then (late 2000).

Some others...
    OmniOutline- organizational tool
    Mesa3- spreadsheet
    RBrowser- FTP client​
    These don't seem like the type of tools that developers need.

The thing that has been the saddest in watching the Mac community move to Mac OS X is the close mindedness of most users. Most of the apps listed are everyday apps for me today.

It seems like Mac users were afraid to try anything that wasn't a familiar name from pre-Mac OS X systems. We always hope that Mac users are better than Windows users, but in this case they seemed as afraid of trying something new as most Windows users who won't use anything not made by Microsoft.

Most Carbon/legacy apps that people use hide the best features of Mac OS X from Mac users. If they only knew what their systems can really do. :eek:

19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

The problem is familiarity and legacy. At work, I have no time to fool around learning a new app just because it's different. I have the tools to do what I need to do and working with them is as flowing as the movements of a concert pianist. My computer is my tool, not my playground.

I'm glad the beta worked for you, but it was a BETA for me and most of the people I know, kind of a "Hey, so this is what OSX is going to look like! Great! Okay, back to work!". From my perspective, using something that "just works" is more of a Mac mentality, and tinkering with something for the sake of tinkering is more of a Windows one.

p.s. And I'm not afraid of new apps. if they hold a significant advantage over their predecessors. I work in InDesign whenever I find a situation where our Production department (OS9 and Quark only) doesn't have to pick up my jobs. - j

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You should be able to run Mac OS X on a variety of Macs that have been create since then but I would not expect it to work properly because of newer device drivers missing from whatever version you might choose. e.g., you might be stuck at 800x600 because it doesn't recognise the video card and substitutes a generic driver with minimal settings.

The PM 8500? I believe that there is a hack out there to allow it to run Mac OS X but I don't know how reliable it is since I haven't seen it in person.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

XPostFacto

22. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I would LOVE a copy of Rhapsody or even an early version of OS X to run on my G3 iMac just for fun. Since I don't use it much, I play around with it and don't have to worry about messing things up.

Anyone with Rhapsody willing to send a copy out??

23. Bear macrumors G3

One of the issues is device drivers. There will be no drivers for the graphics modile. No drivers for USB2.0, possibly no drivers for more than half the stuff in theMacMini. The iBook might be in better shape, but it will also be misisng drivers.

The software may not recognize enough of the hardware to even load. As a guess, I'd say if you can't boot OS 9.22 on it, don't even bother trying the Public Beta as you will be missing too many device drivers to even get anywhere. If OS 9.22 can boot on it (like on the 2002 iBook) you might get further, but I still have doubts on it working.

24. blybug macrumors 6502a

blybug

hmmm...

my recollection is that the public beta had a hard-coded expiration date after which it no longer functioned. i expect that even if you did find a copy of it that it would either not install at all or if it did it would not work.

EDIT: uh, yeah...Macrumors.com link

25. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

well the clock is controlled via software so if you set it to a year in the 70's with the same date as 2k5